April 27, 2024, 06:27:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dealer no longer provides part numbers..

Started by still_on2_wheels, December 30, 2008, 04:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

help-u2

RATFADE....
you mentioned superstition harley out here in apache jnction.  problem?

i was there a couple weeks ago asking price and availability on a few parts.
they gave me a print out.
i went back in a few days and bought them.  but that was nice of them.... 
also printed out a exploded drawing....
damn nice of them....

crazybastid83

December 30, 2008, 06:29:09 PM #26 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:37:54 PM by crazybastid83
When I worked in an HD parts department, I refused to give out part numbers or if I did, I intentionally gave the wrong part number.

People who ask for part numbers are looking to buy it elsewhere, so they are not good customers. The only time I gave out a part number was when the customer needed the part right away and i did not have it. I would give them the part number and do an inquiry into what dealership had the part in stock.

People who ask for part numbers are POS. I am handling customers who are paying for parts. How would you like to be waiting behind someone who wants just part numbers when you just want to get a part and get out of there? How about the azzhole who calls for an oil filter part number, while I have a counterful of customers?

Seriously, if you call for part numbers, go fvck yourself. The dealership pays thousands a year for software to look up part numbers, pays salary and health benefits, but you think you are entitled to a free service?

Before I worked at an HD dealer, I bought parts books and looked up parts numbers from HD.com. Just because you bought a Harley, no one "owes" you anything.

I now wrench in the service department. I was constantly interrupted by a rookie service manager who never did this job before. He would interrupt me for a "customer" who wanted install advice for a part that the install was way over his head. I finally told the service manager not to interrupt me, I would not talk to the customers anymore. When I am working on someones bike, I do not need to be interrupted, lose my place and forget to do something stupid like install an o ring. I love the idiots who try to save a buck by doing an install that is way over their head. They then pay 2x over when I have to correct the damage. Would you buy a toilet at Home Depot than call a plumber and ask him how to install it?

People can be scvmbags. I remember on my lunch hour a guy on a vrod had a stripped shifter. We were booked for weeks. I took it off, drilled and retapped it and found a bolt to use on it. All on my lunch hour, I didn't even get a thanks. Now I make them make appointments.

I always stop for stranded bikes and fix things for people. Then you get the retard who is just making a phone call. Then people wonder why no one stops to help anyone anymore.

If you want to buy your parts elsewhere, look the numbers up yourself!!!!!!!!!

help-u2

Hummmm....intentially give wrong part number?.
i come in a few days later to buy part,  have number you wrote down.
you give me that carb when i wanted a shock. 
i take my money down the street cause your incompetant in my eyes....
nice way to get return business.

with the price of harley parts sometimes i dont have enought right then...
know i will need a trip to bank for cash.... how much will i need to take out?
if i have paper or in my local dealers case, a print out of number and price it makes looking it up a second time unnecessary.....
so that makes me a POS customer?   nope , makes me a RETURN customer....

Princess Butt

When I first started riding, the local indy recommended I get the parts book and the repair manual. It's not only handy for looking up part numbers, but it's more helpful for the exploded diagrams.

As far as I'm concerned, I got the parts manuals for the exploded diagrams. I'll order some parts online, and sometimes I'll call the local dealer and ask if they have "Part no. xx-yyyyy". It really gets their attention when I already have the part number.

Now, if I were to call a dealer and ask for a part number so I can shop it elsewhere, and they give me the wrong number, then who am I to blame? Yeah, stupid me. I don't do that. I think it's bad Karma, and I'm not interested in getting people mad.

BnEUC  
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

FLTRI

I do not compare over priced (list price jacked up) stealers to real dealers who sell @ list or even 10+% discount for folks/indys they know or even regular customers or HOG members.

My guess is that if a stealer gives you a part number with a jacked up price they know you will shop it and they will be found out. :angry:

I also believe we will see these stealers go away or sell to real businessmen who realize customer satisfaction is what it takes to succeed not over pricing.
In other words the weak (stealers) will fail while the strong (dealers) will succeed.

I also do not look at an $10 per hr inexperienced kid without a clue as to what he is doing behind a parts counter (needs p/n from customer or looks up the wrong part) a comparison with highly trained technically advanced parts people in the aircraft industry, in any industry for that matter.

JMHO

PS -"Hummmm....intentially give wrong part number? :down: :down:
i take my money down the street cause your incompetant in my eyes.... :up: :up:
nice way to get return business."  :hyst: :hyst:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Big Dan

The more I read threads like these, the more I like Uke's HD in Kenosha. They have always treated me right. They give me a small discount, which is nice, and will damn near kill themselves to help a guy out. I could order my stuff from Chicago and have it next day, and break about even on the price after paying shipping. I still like to run down to Uke's. I like keeping my money in the local economy when I can, and I've developed a real good relationship with Uke's over the years. When I'm working on a bigger project, I call them fairly often (usually with part numbers) and have 'em add stuff to my "pile." They know that eventually I'll get down there and get the stuff.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

ModelABob

The "bible" or Harley manual was the first thing I bought when I got my first H-D.  A parts manual came a few years later after I taught my self how to work on my scooter.  When I started going into stealer/dealerships for parts.  I found it
very much easier to have the part number with me.  Especially because I've pretty much always owned older H-D's and the counter jockey most likely wouldn't have any idea of what I'm talking about.  If the counter/parts "person" was a hot babe, 'oh boy, time to make time with her :smilep: about parts and maybe some "play" time later on. :teeth:  Those days are gone now:  1) I'm getting to be pretty much an old fart and the hot babes don't think I'm so hot anymore. :cry:  And 2) Ebay or the local swap meet is where I go for Pan parts and/or I'll go to my one-man Indie shop for Softail parts.

Happy New Year & AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

harleyjt

Why should the dealer, an independent businessman, give you a part number so you can walk out the door, and order the part from his competitor?  That makes no sense to me.  I got absolutely no problem with the dealer on this one - I'd be the same way.  He's not running a parts look-up service - he's running  dealership and, he's in business to make money.  If you need a part number and plan to buy it online, call your online vendor and get the number from them......   If they can't or won't provide it for you then get pissed at them.  Hell - you're their customer if you're ordering online.  They're cutting corners somewhere, probably in personnel and customer service areas to be able to offer the online discounts you so dearly love. 
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Tsani

December 31, 2008, 07:28:31 AM #33 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:31:02 AM by Tsani
Unless I missed it, I don't recall anyone here saying that they go to the dealer for the part number then go else where to buy it. However, If I am pricing a part, which is no different than what any normal business does before purchasing, then it makes since to know that you are indeed talking about the same exact part. So why is it expected to be different for the consumer? I buy parts from my dealer because I like their customer service, not because of their prices. If the prices was the only thing I considered, they would not be seeing any of my business. There is nothing special about these bikes. The new ones are not so radically different that a person will good mech skills can't work on em, despite the trend that the EPA and the factory are trying to make it so that you can't. I have been around bikes for a long time and am "old school" in my thinking. My azz sits on it, not yours, so it had better be a problem I can't fix and if it is it's because I don't have time or the tools. I liked the old time dealers. They were bikers like you and I. You could go in, grab a cuppa joe and shoot the bull about bikes, mods, parts, etc. And they didn't hurt for business either if they were good and knew their stuff. Seems to me that nowadays, all that is required to be a dealer is to  have the money to put up a big ol Boutique store. Dealers around here change mechs around here like a mother changing diapers on a newborn. Think your owed a living? Wrong. That's new age thinking for ya. The Ever walk into a good local hardware store where the guy knew... knew where the part was and how many he had with out the aid of a computer? Amazing ain't it? Someone actually knowing their business, caring about and giving a crap about customer service. The way the service reps are these days, it would be hard to know if they gave you a wrong part number on purpose. They make a ton of errors. Heck, they don't even know they don't have the part because "the computer sez we have it, don't know why it's not there?" Computers smooters! But, if the service guy had the balls to own up giving me the wrong part number on purpose, I would most definately let him know what a chickensh!t he was. If the dealership tolerated that kind of "customer service", I sure wouldn't be able to trust them to even change the air in my tires, much less do any major work on my bike. It's lying, pure and simple. I just got some mech help from my local dealerships head tech. Had a problem with an adjustment. Not that is was beyond my abilities, it was just different than an older style I was used to. Just wanted to make sure I had it right. He took the time to go over it with me. Another younger tech listened in and later said wow, I learned something from listening to you two talk. Yeah, it's a two way street. Because of Bill's help, I was very confident that I got it right. No worries. And because of that simple act of customer service he has more work coming. Period. He didn't lie to me, didn't diss me, didn't try to rip me. I respect that. My Dad taught me that a lier and a theif were worse than a murderer. Took me a long time to kinda get my head around that concept, but in a way he was right. Don't care how good you think you are, lie to me, I don't forget.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Glenn W

This thread points out how the world is changing. The internet wasn't a major force in bike parts even 10 years ago, now it is. Folks will go down to the dealer to handle say, a Willie & Max saddlebag or a set of Kury mirrors, then go to some "no service" "no returns" on-line discounter to actually buy. it's really hurting dealerships big time. How to react? if the answer was obvious & singular we wouldn't be having this discussion. sometime service will win over low price, other times not. If it's your regular dealer and you've built a relationship with them, what would you answer if they asked why you wanted a part #? (Big Dan +1 on Uke's :up: ) Dealers may not always handle change correctly but they are under attack and dealing with things however they feel best, right or wrong. Even places that've built good reputaions for stellar customer service like Dennis Kirk and J&P are feeling the heat from discount schmucks flipping over the Drag catalog for beer money.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Tsani

December 31, 2008, 08:06:30 AM #35 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:05:49 AM by Tsani
And we all know that the MOCO uses the absolutely best part for your bike, right!?  :hyst: If they did, there would be no need for some of the after market parts used. MOCO would absolutely love that. And basically, if it is an aftermarket part you want, the MOCO PN ain't really much help. You had better know what you want and be willing to take the risk. I have no problem with a dealer not installing or not using a non HD part.  But then, maybe they should swallow their own medicine and not sell the non HD parts and accesories either. Period. If a dealer asked me why, the answer is simple, because I asked. I have a responsibility to know and to educate myself about my bike and it's parts. If I am going to use a dealer supplied part, I want to make sure it's the right part. Rare these days I am sure. Most people who are shopping the part number around are doing so at dealers in my opinion. So, who's fault is that? Ah, possibly your brother and sister dealers? Easier to blame the consumer tho I guess. Brand loyalty is not a guaranteed fact. That kinda of thinking is what helped to put the economy where it is. Quit screwing the pooch and maybe he won't bite cha.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

highlander

Quote from: rayfeldt on December 30, 2008, 05:44:31 AM
I really do not blame them.  I work for an electrical warehouse.  We have people come in want us to design something, then take our part numbers and design and buy it off the internet.  Why should we help people do this to us?  We could sell stuff cheaper if we hired order takers instead of guys who actually know about what they are selling.
Later,
Ray

I agree with Ray, If you want to know the part number, buy the parts book.
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

Blockhead80

I have a responsibility to know and to educate myself about my bike and it's parts. If I am going to use a dealer supplied part, I want to make sure it's the right part

True, that's why ya buy the book........... :rtfb:

Tsani

December 31, 2008, 10:37:15 PM #38 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 10:39:33 PM by Tsani
yeah, I got the book and thats why they change the numbers. You missed the whole point, they can't even get it right half the time.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

bobrk1

Sounds like he's a A-hole, quess it depends whos behind the counter I'm friendly with one of the guys and he gives me no problem other people there won't bother.

HogBob

The parts guys at Atlantic County HD have always been very helpful to me. They go out of their way to find the stuff I need/want for my '95 Ultra. I have a parts manual and if the part number is 'obsolete', they find the current part number or a replacment part in the aftermarket. Instead of the regular 10% discount, they track your purchases and give $25 credit for every $250 spent. Not as convenient but same net result. Maybe I'm just lucky to be located near a dealership with good personnel.

Bob :teeth:

Ultrashovel

Quote from: crazybastid83 on December 30, 2008, 06:29:09 PM
When I worked in an HD parts department, I refused to give out part numbers or if I did, I intentionally gave the wrong part number.

People who ask for part numbers are looking to buy it elsewhere, so they are not good customers. The only time I gave out a part number was when the customer needed the part right away and i did not have it. I would give them the part number and do an inquiry into what dealership had the part in stock.

People who ask for part numbers are POS. I am handling customers who are paying for parts. How would you like to be waiting behind someone who wants just part numbers when you just want to get a part and get out of there? How about the azzhole who calls for an oil filter part number, while I have a counterful of customers?

Seriously, if you call for part numbers, go fvck yourself. The dealership pays thousands a year for software to look up part numbers, pays salary and health benefits, but you think you are entitled to a free service?

Before I worked at an HD dealer, I bought parts books and looked up parts numbers from HD.com. Just because you bought a Harley, no one "owes" you anything.

I now wrench in the service department. I was constantly interrupted by a rookie service manager who never did this job before. He would interrupt me for a "customer" who wanted install advice for a part that the install was way over his head. I finally told the service manager not to interrupt me, I would not talk to the customers anymore. When I am working on someones bike, I do not need to be interrupted, lose my place and forget to do something stupid like install an o ring. I love the idiots who try to save a buck by doing an install that is way over their head. They then pay 2x over when I have to correct the damage. Would you buy a toilet at Home Depot than call a plumber and ask him how to install it?

People can be scvmbags. I remember on my lunch hour a guy on a vrod had a stripped shifter. We were booked for weeks. I took it off, drilled and retapped it and found a bolt to use on it. All on my lunch hour, I didn't even get a thanks. Now I make them make appointments.

I always stop for stranded bikes and fix things for people. Then you get the retard who is just making a phone call. Then people wonder why no one stops to help anyone anymore.

If you want to buy your parts elsewhere, look the numbers up yourself!!!!!!!!!

CrazyB. This is a great post. I agree 100%. A few years ago, before the internst got going, giving a part number might have meant that the person would go to another Harley dealer to see if they had the part. Now it only means that the person asking for the part number will go online to make the buy. That's OK, of course, but don't bother asking the dealer since it's no help to them. Buy the parts book!

Keep up the good stuff!!

Ultrashovel

Quote from: help-u2 on December 30, 2008, 06:51:02 PM
Hummmm....intentially give wrong part number?.
i take my money down the street cause your incompetant in my eyes....
nice way to get return business.

with the price of harley parts sometimes i dont have enought right then...
know i will need a trip to bank for cash.... how much will i need to take out?
if i have paper or in my local dealers case, a print out of number and price it makes looking it up a second time unnecessary.....
so that makes me a POS customer?   nope , makes me a RETURN customer....

You are intentionally stretching your point to makle a case for the only possible time that giving someone a parts number might, just might, cause a repeat customer or a return sale. Get serious. Most of us buy online because the dealer costs too much.

Oh yeah, keep some money in your checking account and get yourself a credit card AND a debit card. LOL...and for God's sake, buy a parts book.

help-u2

excuse me ULTRA.
i am not into plastic.  i have savings acct.  i deal in cash only.
yeah i am old. 
have not bought a NEW harley part on the net.
have purchased some used stuff on HTT swap meet. 
in doing so i did not ask my dealer for priceing or part number...

I curently have 3 street harleys and one racer.
my old ironhead is "obsoulete so parts are get as get can from aftermarkett.
my buell, i have a parts book for as well as manual.  never used either.  good bike...
my stock FXD has really needed nothing....
cant see buying a parts book (i do have the manual)
for the occasional o-ring or whatever i might need for it....

actually got printout from dealer on the studs and parts to change out the FXD shocks to the FXDX
ones.   some different stuff.  they printed out the items and ordered them for me...

any aftermarket things i have bought on line.... no need for part numbers as they are different anyway...
my point is/was either tell customer you wont give out numbers for whatever reason or give them to him.

DONT LIE.....will bite one in the ass every time...

also my local parts guys arent the pimpley kid types.  they are professional, know their parts.
i have had them tell me of updated numbers that would suit me better than what the book shows...
(screaming eagle air cleaner, that i got the number out of my accesory book)
like anything else.  take pride in your work and it will show.   if in it only for the profit it will also show...

but thats just me.......  feel free to conduct your business any way you like....charge card away....

fuzznut5197

Quote from: Tsani on December 31, 2008, 10:37:15 PM
yeah, I got the book and thats why they change the numbers. You missed the whole point, they can't even get it right half the time.

I have a parts book and have bought many parts in the past, and have never come across a complete number change. What I have seen is revisions of the core part number, where they add A, B, C, etc as a suffix. The revision letter could stem from an improved design, different supplier, whatever.

FLTRI

All I have to say after reading all this about how it's not a good idea to help a customer by giving him P/Ns is it really shows there are those who want to help and there are those who don't.
I just know those who don't want to help will end up either looking for a non-customer contact job or in the back of the service department where they are not allowed to speak with customers because they only hurt business when do.

My father (rest his sole) was in the automotive parts business for over 45 years 1947-90 and always wanted to help customers by furnishing them with knowledgeable advice, P/Ns, schematics, exploded views, technical bulletins, instruction sheets etc. The rewards were: Excellent reputation and most importantly, return customers that usually brought friends and family to buy stuff as well.

I followed in his footsteps from 1970-90 and can say I had the same experiences and rewards. I then moved to HD and did the same for customers in the service department as manager. Funny thing, we were awarded customer service excellence awards and were swamped 7 days a week because the reputation was we wanted to help, rather than rip off the customer.
You see if the customer likes you and the place you work he will not only give you his business but will tell everybody he comes in contact with.

It is only in the HD parts business that I've heard these ridiculous remarks about how customers are POS :wtf: Customers are the only reason parts people have a fricken job.
Assuming the only reason for asking for P/Ns is to eliminate buying the item(s) from the dealer is, IMO shooting one's self in the foot. I have a hunch those who make this and other negative remarks about customers are, in fact, those who do exactly what they accuse others of. :wink:
And, if the dealer/parts dept is price gouging they know it and prolly is the one who will not give out P/Ns for fear of being caught.  :wink:
As always,
JMHO, Bob
PS - The best reason to own a parts book is to make sure you get the right part the first time because there seems to be some parts people who not only don't have an indepth knowledge and understanding of their job, but want to bite the hand that feeds them as well. :wtf:

texaskatfish

Yall may read this and say "Katfish is comparing Apples to Lobsters"

IMHO customer service is just that - S E R V I C E

Do I own Gracie's parts book? yuBETCHA

Do I still occasionally have the need for a part number and call to ask for it? also yuBETCHA

Now we are in the freight business here and our service is to price then find the desired truck / trailer combination our customer needs to get his freight moved from point A to point B.

How much freight do yall think we would get called to move if we refused to provide our quoted rates?
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Bakon

Quote from: BnEUltraClassic on December 30, 2008, 06:54:17 PM
When I first started riding, the local indy recommended I get the parts book and the repair manual. It's not only handy for looking up part numbers, but it's more helpful for the exploded diagrams.

As far as I'm concerned, I got the parts manuals for the exploded diagrams. I'll order some parts online, and sometimes I'll call the local dealer and ask if they have "Part no. xx-yyyyy". It really gets their attention when I already have the part number.

Now, if I were to call a dealer and ask for a part number so I can shop it elsewhere, and they give me the wrong number, then who am I to blame? Yeah, stupid me. I don't do that. I think it's bad Karma, and I'm not interested in getting people mad.

BnEUC  

:up:  I do it the same way.
wasting time

FLTRI

rossl

I have the parts manual.  I bought it for 2 reasons to make sure I get the correct parts the first time, and to be able to shop for a part on the internet.

There are a few local dealers that will check other dealers inventory when I need a part that they do not have in stock.  This is good customer service and I will always check and buy from this dealer when I need something ASAP.

I agree that it's not fair for people to request part numbers to buy the part at another store.

I don't think it's "smart" for a dealer to be perceived as un-cooperative to a customer.  If I owned a dealership I would give the part number if a customer requested it, although I would not like it.  If I had someone working for me that was giving the wrong part numbers I would fire them.