May 01, 2024, 04:59:26 PM

News:

low cold cranking

Started by -JC-1, March 16, 2011, 11:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aharp

Wouldnt be the first time S&S releases had an issue
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Jeffd

I am missing something. NO symptoms, runs good other then easy starting?  Is not that we all want.

hrdtail78

Does it have easy starts in it?
Semper Fi

-JC-1

March 20, 2011, 08:11:13 AM #28 Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:19:10 AM by -JC-1
ok- I picked up a Harbor Freight leakdown tester and this morning I brought the bike up to operating temp, and both front and rear showed at least 10% loss, and the only place I could hear air was over the releases, in the middle of the rockers, and there is alot of air-
cams are not easy starts
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

rbabos

Quote from: -JC-1 on March 20, 2011, 08:11:13 AM
ok- I picked up a Harbor Freight leakdown tester and this morning I brought the bike up to operating temp, and both front and rear showed at least 10% loss, and the only place I could hear air was over the releases, in the middle of the rockers, and there is alot of air-
cams are not easy starts
Look for thread depth and sealing of the releases. Also a visible hole to the threads of the release between the first and second fin. Might not be machined deep enough.
Ron

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

-JC-1

I pulled off the rockers to get to the heads and releases, took them out, and contacted S&S tech support-
Turns out the electric releases are not serviceable items.
I'm going to plug the release holes and do another leakdown test.
These releases are a pain to get to compared to the standard ones.
Thats all I've had a chance to do so far, I'm also going to test the electric releases on my bench now that I have them out, to see how they behave.
The releases look fine externally, no excessive carbon build up, and I can operate the plunger manually ok.

:scratch:

rbabos

Quote from: -JC-1 on March 25, 2011, 10:10:25 AM
I pulled off the rockers to get to the heads and releases, took them out, and contacted S&S tech support-
Thats all I've had a chance to do so far, I'm also going to test the electric releases on my bench now that I have them out, to see how they behave.
The releases look fine externally, no excessive carbon build up, and I can operate the plunger manually ok.

Are they leaking at the threads, as in not machined deep enough to seal past the first fin of the head?
Ron

-JC-1

Quote from: rbabos on March 25, 2011, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: -JC-1 on March 25, 2011, 10:10:25 AM

Are they leaking at the threads, as in not machined deep enough to seal past the first fin of the head?
Ron
I don't think so-as long as they are installed all the way, and they were, I'm not sure if they could leak past the threads?

I did put power to the releases on my bench, and they do open and close like they should.

I have to give credit to Chris at S&S Tech Support, he has been very helpful to me through emails and phone calls.

rbabos

-JC-1: Check your pm.
Ron

Admiral Akbar

So this was after you ran it up to the limiter a couple times?

Max

hrdtail78

Do those heads bleed pressure out or into the exhaust port?
Semper Fi

-JC-1

March 26, 2011, 06:21:59 AM #37 Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:24:04 AM by -JC-1
Quote from: MaxHeadflow on March 25, 2011, 08:34:14 PM
So this was after you ran it up to the limiter a couple times?

Max
Not sure I understand? Got my limiter set at 6200, I don't live there, but it's not foreign territory either-

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 25, 2011, 11:47:56 PM
Do those heads bleed pressure out or into the exhaust port?

They bleed pressure through the release- that's what S&S tech told me yesterday-

Admiral Akbar

The idea is to make sure the valves are clear of carbon build up..

Not familiar with how SnS releases bleed off pressure as to where the exhaust is  but if it's out the top, looks like you found one problem..

Max

-JC-1

Yes they bleed out the top, through the solenoid body, S&S had a cutaway version of the release and that's the way it was explained to me, as I could not see any apparent release hole.

joe

Deye76

I know of 2 with 124" ers that plugged that hole and installed manual releases. No more problems.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

-JC-1

Quote from: Deye76 on March 26, 2011, 08:57:06 AM
I know of 2 with 124" ers that plugged that hole and installed manual releases. No more problems.
I've been thinking about that too, as long as I'm this far into it, I could pull the heads and send them out to be tapped for conventional releases-
there's less room on these heads because of the equal length head bolts, I assume there would still be room?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

FSG

QuoteYes they bleed out the top, through the solenoid body, S&S had a cutaway version of the release and that's the way it was explained to me, as I could not see any apparent release hole.

Could be true but I doubt it.

#1 is a crush washer/seal, if deformed it'll leak, just like a spark plug.  Perhaps replace them and try the leakdown again
#2 looks like a hole and as that area looks to be covered with carbon I'd say it's the CR exit into an exhaust passage in the head.

#? the pic is dark in that area can you get a better pic?

rbabos

FSG: I just put the pics into a photo editor and increase the gamma.
Ron

-JC-1

I put a new crush washer on- they are the same as a sparkplug- and did a leakdown on both cylinders with the same release,
I got 10% on both
The only place I could hear air was on top, but I could not pin down a more precise location.
Not through the carb or the pipe.

Ron, I did look all through the fins and see no carbon trace

FSG, I think I'll pull the pipes and see if I can find evidence of an exhaust passage

Thanks alot guys,

joe

Admiral Akbar

FSG good eyes... Got me wondering HTF the sucker works,, Is there a passage in the going to say the exhaust port?

Max

FSG

Must be, we need JC to pull the exhaust and take a pic looking into the port with a flashlitght above the CR hole.  :teeth:

FSG

Admiral Akbar

Unless there is a step at the end of the compression release hole that the end of the release seats against, what keeps compression from leaking past the threads?

Max

FSG

Quote...what keeps compression from leaking past the threads?
I don't know, but the end of the CR sure looks like it's been inside or against something and has been sort of polished as it's been unscrewed.