May 02, 2024, 12:31:14 AM

News:

garage space saver

Started by randallwhitman, December 30, 2008, 04:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randallwhitman

I've got a tiny one car garage that is not wide, but is quite deep.  Right now I have to choose between the bike or the car, but not both, because I can't get the bike sideways at the end of the garage.  What products are available to move a bike around in the garage, besides a lift?  Thanks, Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

76shuvlinoff

Those little bike lifts work for that but if that's not possible I'd guess you'd need to put together 3 dollies on swivel casters , one for each tire and one for the side stand. Maybe you could put some tie down hooks on them so it would stand up and you wouldn't need the side stand ? 

.... Or couple big buddies to pick up the ass end and swing it around?

- Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

jerite

I feel your pain. I do have a 2 car garage, but my wife gets half and the other side is for my bike and bench, tools, etc. Its a tough choice but the new truck sits outside. I keep one of those small jacks around to move the bike sideways when needed for that 2 car garage is a small one.
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

MMOCGuy

Randall.

Take a look at this motorcycle dolly. I have one but I haven't used it yet because my bike is not quite a rolling chassis yet (It should be soon). Anyway, these dollies work well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95896

Hope this helps.

Norm.

randallwhitman

Thanks Norm.  Got the same tip from shovelhead.us and already ordered the sucker.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

MMOCGuy

Let us know what you think once you get it assembled.

Norm.

pappyfreebird

December 31, 2008, 04:22:07 AM #6 Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 04:27:58 AM by pappyfreebird
womin??? i seen a homeader once that was cool...8' pc channel iron lil drop gate ramp n wheel on each end the bout 3/4 (kickstand arear)had another pc of angle iron tagged in wid wheel on each end..stable n easy n cheap it looked like n offset cross (the kicker angle iron beyun longer right side ony bout a foot n maybe were two one kickstand side..put against the wall the cat would run right up on it (remmebr 4" taller)n would drop feet out on kickstand iron n put it down n git off n turn it sideways...cool as L fer lil ta nuttin...n be cheaper n a ton quieter then womin

randallwhitman

I'm in my Colorado house right now, where my '07 flhx lives.  The dolly will be delivered here soon, but then I'll be in Florida (where I earn my "living", and where my shovel lives).  So I won't see this thing until June.  Otherwise, I would be happy to give you feedback on the dolly.  Sorry
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

MMOCGuy

That's OK.

It's always to good to hear what guys think of tools and equipment. Enjoy and Happy New Year.

Norm.

Snuff™

Anyone thinking of a dolly, check out www.pitbullmotercyclelifts.com and select the dolly stand.  I made one about 4-5 yrs. ago, and find it's handy.

-Snuff

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

pappyfreebird

now thats a fine pc a werk there...but hafta ask how git her on there..i dont do wheelies no mo,,i see the lil lift but the stand doesnt lift do it?

bob_e95482

I made one of those, too. It slips around one of those under-the-frame lifts.

Snuff™

For any old timer out there that's lost their clutch/foot coordination, that can no longer control wheelies, I recommend this little lift.  She fits directly under the dolly and will lower your cream puff gently on her.

-Snuff

Old Crow

yup, bought mine like that from Harbor Freight for under $50.  Put my long term project shovel up on it and it frees up my lift to change oil on the other 2 bikes.  Rolls around the shop real easy, too.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

ramcr913

Old Crow and Snuff-
What's the HF part number/link for that dolly?

Thanks
Rick

Snuff™

I could not find a part # on HF, but I'll # mine 0023.  I think I've fabricated almost 2 dozen different items, from workbenches, dollies, tv wall mounts to tools.

-Snuff

Old Crow

January 06, 2009, 03:02:19 AM #16 Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:26:53 AM by Old Crow
Quote from: ramcr913 on January 05, 2009, 05:57:07 PM
Old Crow and Snuff-
What's the HF part number/link for that dolly?

Thanks Rick

Wierd.  I've had the thing less than 6 months and I went to check out the catalog and they aren't showing it in the on-line catalog.  I'll check the paper catalog when I get to work today and see if I can get a part #.  Surely they haven't discontinued it already. 

ramcr913

Snuff, 0023 sounds good to me.
Hopefully Crow will find the HF number.

Thanks

Old Crow

Well, I got the number off my lift.  Item# 94778  But when I plugged it into the web site it says its discontinued. 
Guess I'm glad I got it when I did.  You might check with Pit Bull, but it ain't cheap.

http://pitbullmotorcyclelifts.net/shop/index.php?cPath=25

randallwhitman

My Harbor Freight dolly came today and my buddy assembled it and put the bike on it.  Said it worked great and now have the right amount of room in the garage, and it's in the right places (the extra room).  Thanks for the tip guys.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

ramcr913

Old Crow- thanks for checking, I may just fab one up instead.

Rick

Snuff™

Ramcr913,

I think i got my old drawing of the dolly i fab.  Let me know if you need it.

-Snuff

ramcr913

Snuff
If you can find your drawing, I would like a copy of it. Save me from thinking too much...
Shoot me a email with it if you can.

Thanks
Rick

randallwhitman

I should be getting pics of the dolly in use.  Anyone want to see them?
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Snuff™

Show'em if you got'em.

-Snuff

randallwhitman

Here's the Harbor Freight bike dolly with my twinkie aboard (at least my twinkie is painted like my beloved shovel):

Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX