May 09, 2024, 01:20:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Remote VTune Display

Started by whittlebeast, April 16, 2011, 09:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadhawg

Quote from: mayor on April 17, 2011, 04:36:12 AM
Quote from: wurk_truk on April 16, 2011, 09:47:12 PM
Folks NEED a usb powered monitor and not a power supply monitor for ease of use.
yea, I'm using an AV monitor and I needed to run an adapter from my computer to the monitor.  Kind of a pain, but my monitor runs off of my bike power and not my lap top. How does the usb monitors get power?

Mayor,
What adapter are you using ? I have the same monitor and I'm going to try this. I assume just  VGA to RCA cables wont get it done.

mayor

The cable vga to rca didn't work for me. I'm answering from my phone right now, so I can't post a link when I have a chance to get back to my computer.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

WVULTRA

Quote from: mayor on May 26, 2011, 02:49:29 PM
The cable vga to rca didn't work for me. I'm answering from my phone right now, so I can't post a link when I have a chance to get back to my computer.

Mayor shared this link with me for an adapter like he's using:

http://www.amazon.com/PC-To-TV-Video-Converter/dp/B001CJOLBW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305465599&sr=8-9

:up:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

WVULTRA

For those using a Remote Display, I'm curious as to why I haven't seen anyone recommend a 7" or 8" monitor with VGA input?  Maybe too expensive/cost prohibited?

Have seen a few that have 12v power with 15pin VGA input, and some even with Touch Screen option. 

If we're only wanting to see what the laptop is displaying, my inexperienced thinking would be one of these particular monitors (non USB) that would not draw any additional power from the laptop's battery (12vDC) while also allowing a laptop with VGA out to be hooked directly to the remote monitor's VGA in.

Also wondering if one with the Touch Screen option would allow the Datamaster program to be started/stopped from the remote, which would be a big plus; especially for stopping the Histogram/DataMaster program vs jumping off the bike while idling and stopping the laptop's program before shutting the bike down.

Am I way off base here?

:scratch:

Roadhawg

Quote from: WVULTRA on May 26, 2011, 02:53:18 PM
Quote from: mayor on May 26, 2011, 02:49:29 PM

Mayor shared this link with me for an adapter like he's using:

http://www.amazon.com/PC-To-TV-Video-Converter/dp/B001CJOLBW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1305465599&sr=8-9

Thanks Guys, got it ordered.

wurk_truk

May 27, 2011, 11:29:54 AM #30 Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:32:13 AM by wurk_truk
I always run a 12vdc power supply from the bike to the laptop so I don't have to worry about the laptop battery.

Then.... monitor being USB powered makes NO difference and there is only one cable to run under the tank and into the fairing to the handlebars.  That cable, once routed, I just leave on the bike.... USB extension cord.

I actually use a handheld mouse from the laptop so I can click around to my hearts end and not have to open the laptop case for small crap.

I wonder how a touch screen would work out, myself.
Oh No!

WVULTRA

Quote from: wurk_truk on May 27, 2011, 11:29:54 AM
I always run a 12vdc power supply from the bike to the laptop so I don't have to worry about the laptop battery.

Is this 12vdc power supply plugging into the same adapter port used for the laptop's stock ac adapter?  Maybe a pic/link to one like your suggesting?

QuoteThen.... monitor being USB powered makes NO difference and there is only one cable to run under the tank and into the fairing to the handlebars.  That cable, once routed, I just leave on the bike.... USB extension cord.

Now, that idea I like!   :up:

QuoteI actually use a handheld mouse from the laptop so I can click around to my hearts end and not have to open the laptop case for small crap.

So your watching the mouse pointer on the remote display! Another great idea!

QuoteI wonder how a touch screen would work out, myself.

truk:  Got to ask, IIRC, did you ever use the TS/Wego III software with the remote monitor?

Thanks for the info!

wurk_truk

May 27, 2011, 08:48:53 PM #32 Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:24:31 PM by wurk_truk
Car charger for laptop in laptop bag.  I ran a lead from battery to a cigarette lighter plug and plug in power supply.  The 12vdc car power supply itself is from like Best Buy.  They plug into cigarette lighter and in the same port on back that the 120vac power supply normally does.

CAR CHARGER

I found a cigarette lighter extension cord in like Wally World.  Cut the male end off and wired it up.

EXTENSION CORD

Nope on the Wego.  Never thought about that.  Can that thing see cells being hit?  Does TS show this in real time like v-tune?   Don't think so... I will have to play around a bit and see.

I usually data record with Wego and the go in house and work it on PC.  Thats what I do with V-tunes, too.  I really do 1 or two really long kinda runs and hit all the cells I can.  Make one new tune and do it again.  THEN go in house and review everything.

Working at the desktop is so so much easier for me.  I hate laptop keyboards.  HAHA!!!  :)
Oh No!

Hilly13

The touch screen idea sounds pretty good, wireless would be cool, actually a small windows driven touch screen tablet PC would be the go....or even better if Mastertune or more specificlly datamaster could be run on the Android system, my phone has enough processing power for the job  :bf:
Just because its said don't make it so

mayor

with all this talk of touch screens, just wondering how a "pad" would work?  although, I'm not sure if there's a window based pad out there.  :nix:

cts1950

Quote from: mayor on May 28, 2011, 06:09:56 AM
with all this talk of touch screens, just wondering how a "pad" would work?  although, I'm not sure if there's a window based pad out there.  :nix:

That leads to the next question can a windows virtual machine program be put on a pad apple or android? Then can it interface usb to the rs232 port?

bbrowncods

You can setup a wireless LAN to run between the iPhone or iPad to your laptop.  Benefits are no power draw from the laptop, no wires, and a touch screen.  "RDP" App from iTunes will do the trick.

cts1950

I am doing that with the android phone and a PC remote control app and a wireless LAN in the trunk with the laptop. My son is using Ubuntu on his laptop and runs multiple copy's of virtual windows configured specifically to special software needs of the robots he programs. I think apple software can also run a virtual windows so it might be possible to run tts software on a apple os. I do not think it is possible in a android platform.

Rider57

I have been using POCKETCLOUD to do this. Works great.
107ci, 408b, 10:5:1, Heads by Wes Brown, Thunders.

WVULTRA

This is probably going to seem like a stupid question.............

IPad/Droid device is using RDP to receive signal from laptop.  Laptop's in the TourPack.  Not connected to any network or cell service............

So what is the laptop using to send it's "signal" to the IPad or Droid device?  Would it be a USB WiFi hotspot creator of some sort?

Again, apologise for my ignorance.

:embarrassed:

Rider57

Pocketcloud for Windows gets installed on the laptop. Pocketcloud for Android gets installed on the Android phone.
A gmail account allows linking the two together without manually trying to configure the software.
I am using my WiFi on both devices for discovery.
On thr Android I also turn WiFi Hotspot.
Works for me.

Hilly13

Just because its said don't make it so

WVULTRA

Quote from: Rider57 on May 31, 2011, 11:12:33 AM
Pocketcloud for Windows gets installed on the laptop. Pocketcloud for Android gets installed on the Android phone.
A gmail account allows linking the two together without manually trying to configure the software.
I am using my WiFi on both devices for discovery.
On thr Android I also turn WiFi Hotspot.
Works for me.

R57:  Yes, I can understand your Android using your 3G/4G cell service to allow you to create the hotspot and WiFi it to your laptop.

So, I'm guessing that if there's no cell service to create an internet/network then a laptop will not be able to communicate with a Droid/IPad device via wireless.

Thanks for your input.

Rider57

Never thought of that.
I will test that in the morning and see if I need service.

TN

i used what i had laying around. 12" monitor powered from my battery tender plug, hooked up to laptop in tourpak serial connection. mounted using existing ram mount for garmin. would never vtune without the remote monitor again, without it is just guesswork. thanks to all here for giving me insight on the tts tuning.

TN

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Just Ride..........

Jeffd

Quote from: TN on June 01, 2011, 06:06:31 AM
i used what i had laying around. 12" monitor powered from my battery tender plug, hooked up to laptop in tourpak serial connection. mounted using existing ram mount for garmin. would never vtune without the remote monitor again, without it is just guesswork. thanks to all here for giving me insight on the tts tuning.

TN

what kind of monitor?

TN

what kind of monitor?

hyvision is the brand name, i just happened to have it in the boneyard. its 12v/3.3a, been working good so far.  always joked about hooking a flatscreen up on the bike, i can see a blu ray with rear camera in the future.  :hyst:

my data runs were never this filled in without it. now if i can learn the software. :scratch:

TN

Just Ride..........

WVULTRA

Have to say a Remote Monitor is the cat's meow!

IMO, a huge time saver for serious VTuning!

:bike:

mayor

Quote from: WVULTRA on June 18, 2011, 08:15:59 PM
Have to say a Remote Monitor is the cat's meow!

IMO, a huge time saver for serious VTuning!

:up: I agree. Being able to see what you are doing is a huge benefit.  So, what set up did you end up with?

hows the tune coming along?

WVULTRA

Mayor:
I ended up with a Lilliput 669GL and Ram VESA mount system.  Works like a charm!

Between dealing with the family health issues and the wx, yesterday was the first time I've had the opportunity to get out and get some good info other than the couple of low speed VT recordings and a few Cam Tune recordings I'd done in the garage.

Got a good bit of info yesterday on the above recording riding solo.  Already noticed a few cells at or near maxxed out; so going to bump the CI ~4%, reduce the ve's the same, and try again.  Got wx moving in so it may be tomorrow before I can get back out on the road for another session.  Hope to have the SO on board so I can get in the right hand side of the map.  My "Closed Course" just isn't big enough!

:wink: