April 27, 2024, 03:42:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

35% off sale BUYER BEWARE

Started by rossl, January 02, 2009, 10:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rossl

A local NJ dealer emailed me a 35% off sale notice on all accessories in stock.  I figured it was a good time to stock up on oil and maint prodects so I call to make sure and they said all parts are included.  I should have asked 35% off of "what"?

They inflated MSRP so the "real" discount was 18-20%.  I drove 45 minutes to find this out needless to say I didn't buy the 2-3 cases of oil plus 6 quarts of primary fluid, and the 8 filters that I was planning to buy.  Better deals are avail;able from our friendly internet dealers everyday.

These guys don't get it!!!!!!

egstandard

rossl

1JITSU1

ULTRADOG

READ THE MEMO IF IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE :rtfb: :rtfb: :potstir:
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

tireater

Our local stealer used to offer $1000 for anything you trade in...Then they use a price list where all bikes were $1000 more...
So you get nothing for your trade... They now put the prices on the bikes...Buyer beware !
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

RK101

So what did they accomplish by that move? All they did was piss off another customer by wasting his time, effort and money. Not a very good business move IMO. When are they ever going to learn that the buyers of there bikes might get fooled once or twice by there B/S but  after a while they catch on to there deceptive business practices and now there pissed. A happy customer will tell 3 others the pissed off customer will tell at least 10.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

tireater

One dissatisfed customer can hurt you more than 10 satisfed customers can help you...

oldhippie765

always figured big percentage off meant it was to far overpriced to begin with ;D

HIPPO

Look at Circuit City with their bankruptcy sale. They claim 70% off and most things are more expensive then from places like Amazon that claim no discount and actually have customer service.

Look at the malls claiming 50 - 70% discount, and upon a closer look it is mostly for extremely poor quality merchandise and seconds or blems at that, while the things one might actually wear are full pop.

They just try and suck in a demographic that is uninformed and feeds off the bottom. Once they suck in enough of them they acquire an image. And then it's a cliff dive from there.

Let them play their games and smile.

Faast Ed

The part that hurts me the most, is that they are calling us "stupid" by assuming that we will fall for that chit. 

"They're so stupid, they'll never notice the markup,... Ha Ha!"  Quite insulting to say the least.
≡Faast Ed>

moose

do we know which county that dealer is in ??
Moose aka Glenn-

Faast Ed

Quotedo we know which county that dealer is in ??
Lots of dealers do it (in lots of counties).
≡Faast Ed>

Scramjet

January 02, 2009, 02:55:27 PM #13 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:24:38 AM by Scramjet
You can't inflate MSRP.  It is MSRP!  By definition the manufacturer sets it with a published price list.  One list, one price.

If they have some sort of inflated MSRP List it is called deceptive practice.  Borrow the list from them and send it to Harley.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

Snorth

One thing I learned while taking an oil analysis class for work is that oil oxidizes when it is in the bottle on the shelf.  It was recommended to always go buy your oil right before you change it and to buy the oil from a store that sold a lot of oil so that the oil on the shelf is fresh and hasn't had time to oxidize.

14Frisco

Quote from: Scramjet on January 02, 2009, 02:55:27 PM
You can't inflate MSRP.  It is MSRP!  By definition the manufacturer sets it with a published price list.  One list, one price.

If they have some sort of inflated MSRP List it is call deceptive practice.  Borrow the list from them and send it to Harley.

A couple of years, ago at a dealer I saw tags on the new bikes labeled DSRP - Dealer Suggested Retail Price.  No kidding.  I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Scooterfish

I`m always more interested in what I `m actually paying for something than how BIG the % off is. Another marketing scam.
Northern Indiana

ChromeWhore

Well, people bitch & moan and gripe & complain... I hear it all the time... Then what.... Most of us go right back there and buy more candy.... as soon as they cool off...

Let's face it, we're addicts trying to overcome a habit...  :wink:

You got the HD bug too?  :hyst:

Good luck with rehab... :dgust:

--CW
an idiot if you do, an asshole if you don't... WTF

mayor

If they have some sort of inflated MSRP List it is call deceptive practice.  Borrow the list from them and send it to Harley.

B

I respectfully disagree with your logic.  The "S" in MSRP means suggested, meaning that the dealer has the option to be higher of lower. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

82fxrstroker

QuoteA couple of years, ago at a dealer I saw tags on the new bikes labeled DSRP - Dealer Suggested Retail Price.  No kidding.  I thought it was pretty hilarious.

That is funny chit!  At leased they were  honest and upfront about the free vasoline you got with your bike purchase vs other dealer tactics.  Personaly,  if a dealer is honest and fair with me,  I can't ask for much more from them.  Grocery stores are a prime example of marking well above list and then selling at X % off  to make you think your getting a deal.

Princess Butt

Harley parts and accessories, just like the motorcycles, are not a "Fair Trade" item. A "Fair Trade" price means that the manufacturer determines the price, and the retailers can't sell for more or less than that price. Therefore, the retailer must rely on better customer service to sell the item. This is a foreign concept to most of us, but my wife informed me when she shops at higher end department stores for certain items, where you go doesn't determine the price you pay. They all have to charge the same.

Since most motorcycle and car parts aren't "Fair Trade" items, the seller determines the price they sell it at, or what they ask for it.

Be careful. These are desperate times for a lot of dealerships. Expect slight of hand tricks with pricing, and what is and is not included with a quoted price. The dealers who have behaved poorly in the past will find new ways to behave poorly.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

sandrooney

The dealer has the option to sell above or below MSRP, but then it is no longer MSRP. They can't raise or lower MSRP, they can raise or lower the price,but not MSRP. The HD web has the MSRP listed.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

mark61

Quote from: tireater on January 02, 2009, 12:54:05 PM
One dissatisfed customer can hurt you more than 10 satisfed customers can help you...

That is good to know. Piss me off for stupid tricks and I make it a point to try and tell 100 people about it. Doubt I ever really got to 100 but I know there have been times I got to 50. Be square with me and I tell people AND return with my money.

mark61

rossl

Quote from: 14Frisco on January 02, 2009, 03:25:24 PM

A couple of years, ago at a dealer I saw tags on the new bikes labeled DSRP - Dealer Suggested Retail Price.  No kidding.  I thought it was pretty hilarious.

They should call it HDRO.............................harley davidson RIP OFF, this stuff is way overpriced to begin with :-)

In this economy I don't think they will be selling a lot of bikes, chrome, or $25 T-shirts.   The casual biker that bought a bike to look cool because he had lot's of extra $$$ will be gone for a while.  I will ONLY support dealers that are fair and give me good customer service

still_on2_wheels

Standard practice for -->>>  CHANDLER HARLEY DAVIDSON <<<-- in Arizona.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

rossl

Quote from: still_on2_wheels on January 03, 2009, 04:47:12 AM
Standard practice for -->>>  CHANDLER HARLEY DAVIDSON <<<-- in Arizona.

Jeff

I imagine most of them do it.  When I questioned another dealer here in NJ about the same practice, they refunded the difference.  So I guess it's worth speaking up.   My attitude yesterday was "screw you" rippoff dealer!!!!!!!!!!!  I really didn't need the oil anyway.

I just wanted to see if this was common and hopefully everyone will be more careful at these "sales".

Scramjet

January 03, 2009, 05:32:17 AM #26 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:52:51 AM by Scramjet
Quote from: sandrooney on January 03, 2009, 03:44:36 AM
The dealer has the option to sell above or below MSRP, but then it is no longer MSRP. They can't raise or lower MSRP, they can raise or lower the price,but not MSRP. The HD web has the MSRP listed.
SR

(Wannabe) Mayor,

The above quote by SR re-states what I was saying.  Yes, the dealer can sell at whatever price he sets.  But, MSRP is set by the manufacturer.  If a dealer changes the price and represents it as "MSRP" it is deceptive practice and should be reported for deceptive sales practices.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

Dennis The Menace

If that is how they run their business, lets hope they are the next dealer to close the doors.  Unethical dealers like this we dont need.

menace

RK101

Like Rossl said in the beginning 35% off of what? We assume they were talking MSRP and it was in reality just 35% off there already inflated retail prices. It's just more of the same old same old. Some of us who realize that will laugh, while others will lap it up with a spoon thinking they got 35 % off MSRP.  There good at what they do, they can get many people to read something that is not there.  Fool me once shame on you ,fool me twice shame on me.
Like the title says Buyer Beware.

Faast Ed

I suspect that a lot of their customer base are fairly new to the riding thing.  The more seasoned guys deal online or with their Indy.

The ripp-off "sale" thing likely works well for them.
≡Faast Ed>

blk-betty

They inflated MSRP so the "real" discount was 18-20%.  

No comment on the dealeras practices but I'd feel lucky to get 18-20%.  Isn't that why so many of us look to Jenni and places like Zanottis to buy our stuff?

I can't remember within the last 7 years of my local dealer ever selling any P&A stuff for less than full MSRP - never has sales.  Guess on the bright side he doesn't make up above MSRP but when your the only game in town for 100+ miles there aren't many choices other than online dealers.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

Faast Ed

QuoteI'd feel lucky to get 18-20%

I'd feel much better about it if they "called it" an 18-20% discount.  It leaves the "our customers are stupid" out of the equation.
≡Faast Ed>

tireater

Our dealer sets min. prices for small items like o rings and screws...
MSRP on an o ring may be $.40...So they charge $2.00....

Faast Ed

My dealer does that too.  I guess they know you won't go online for the lil stuff.
≡Faast Ed>

RK101

I'd feel much better about it if they "called it" an 18-20% discount.  It leaves the "our customers are stupid" out of the equation.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

MikeL

Rossl, This particular dealer wouldn't be by chance the one that refuses to list the suggested MSRP price on any of the bikes they have for sale? I don't go there anymore. Sneaky owner very arrogant also. Nice place in a nice area too bad!

MIKE

Flat Dog

You guys are lucky to even get the fool's discount. The two 'locals' north of Tampa that I used to deal with dropped even the 10% I had been getting.

Now they are the fools with empty stores.

Ultrashovel

There are several great Harley dealers that sell at a real, consistent 20% discount online. They have parts in stock, quick service and shipping at reasonable prices. I won't name them since I might leave out some of the good ones. There are probably ten of them and most of you know who they are. Stick with companies like that and be happy with 20%.

I'm not a dealer but if I had to pay 50% wholesale and then discount 20%, that only leaves 30% margin. From that, I have to pay my lease, salaries, electricty, insurance and free coffee for the people who come into the store. That's why they only do that online and not over the counter. We are in a period now where the weaker dealers are not going to be there in another year unless there is a sea change pretty soon.

20% off is pretty good, considering then when I buy from the dealer, which is not often, they charge straight MSRP, the shipping is built in already and I have to pay tax, too.

So when you see 35% off, make sure you hang onto your wallet. There's something wrong somewhere.

rossl

Quote from: Faast Ed on January 03, 2009, 08:28:03 AM
QuoteI'd feel lucky to get 18-20%

I agree..................I buy most of my parts on line and I get 20+% off.  I also agree with those that said  35% sounded too good to be true, I thought there could be a chance that they had a lot of inventory to move.  I was there mid day and there was only 2-3 other people there.  If it was a real 35% off sale I would have expected to see a crowd.

HarleyguyFLHRCI

The auto manufacturer who's parts I sell have a guideline of a certain % gross margin on retail sales. Their "msrp" ranges from 2% to 7% less than their guide. If you do the math, I can not sell at suggested list and still maintain the profit margins in their guide. On the other side, their "wholesale" price is msrp minus 15%. But if I didn't give at least 20% to outside body and repair shops, I'd have virtually no wholesale business. Don't forget (as mentioned in an earlier post), many overhead expenses have to be paid from the gross profit. Are you dealing with a highly competent parts guy backed by a broad inventory? If so, what's it worth to you to get the right part right now? Every once in awhile I get a customer who is in need of a part who has checked the competition and then comes to me. If there is a price question, the conversation invariably follows like this - "The other dealer sells this for X dollars cheaper". Why didn't you buy it there? "They don't have it in stock and it will be 3 days to order". Lest anyone thinks I'm driving away business, keep in mind he went to the other guy first. I also sell a lot of stuff on ebay at discount prices. I can do this because it is a sideline and not my "bread & butter" and I also don't spend time on the phone with a customer looking up obscure o-rings and crap like that. They see what I have for sale and how much to buy it. They pay - I sell. But I digress - If I offer a percent off to retail customers, it's off my normal selling price. That i not to be confused with raising a price for the sole purpose of discounting it. :teeth: