May 08, 2024, 10:08:00 PM

News:

'01 Softail won't start-code ?

Started by fbn ent, December 31, 2008, 05:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

:wtf: Buddy's '01 Softail (carburated) just quit on him......finally brought it up to my place 'cause -25C is a bit cold to troubleshoot. Anyway, got a code using the jumper method but it is a 42. Book shows a 41 (crank sensor/tried a new one already, and a 44 (bank angle sensor/seems to work OK). No 42! any ideas what it's pointing to? Thanks and Happy New Year! :beer:
R
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

JBarrettB

CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

fbn ent

:crook:Well, that sent me back to the book! Where does a guy go when there is no cam sensor  :wtf: (unless I'm mistaken)?
R

FLTRI

If 42 is cam sensor code and you have no cam sensor, maybe you need to install one!  :smiled:

Basics first:
Do you have spark? Ground a test plug with one of the ignition wires hooked to it (do not remove the plugs or disconnect the wire from the other plug).

Do you have fuel to the engine? Look into to the carb while goosing the throttle and look for fuel squirting out the accellerator pump discharge nozzle.

If it has a vacuum operated petcock is the vacuum line disconnected from the petcock or the carb/tee?
What was the last thing done to the bike?

Did it run honkey-dory then all of a sudden quite while riding it?
Has it been sitting and now won't start?

Answer to these questions might help.
Note: crank sensors can and do die both intermitantly and all of a sudden.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Fxstchewy

After checking what was listed above and it still is a CAM sensor code look at the ignition module, newer ones and aftermarket do not require the cam sensor, I don't know what year HD quit using them sometime around 02'-03', my DTT ignition does not require a cam sensor. you can probably pick up an SE module for less than $100 somewhere, I would rather change the ignition box than mess with that sensor.  Chewy
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

fbn ent

Chewy, according to the book there is no cam sensor and there is nothing to suggest one around the cam chest. Pretty f'd up. The module that is in it now cam from a running bike of the same year. FLTRI - yep basics are good, the way he described it went down, I would have sworn it was the module or the crank sensor....engine has been pumped and has a history of bad crank (welded last time). Farts a couple of times and that's all I can get out of it. It's a FM to me but maybe I'll get it today.....
R

FLTRI

and has a history of bad crank
When the crank twists it can easily make contact with the sensor and do damamge that can show up immediately or later. Code be darned, pull the sensor and at least look for contact. If so there is more than likely the problem. If not it does not eliminate it, just doesn't pinpoint it.
If you can answer the rest of the questions maybe we can help.
Bob

fbn ent

Yep, replaced the sensor with new. No signs of contact then but I will definitely check again after the shop warms up. Checked the compression last night and it is fine also. I am leaning to the wheels again but want to prove it before he takes it to the builder with a huge chip on his shoulder. He rides the s..t out of this thing and I think he broke it. Guess I could check the runout...He says the bike was running fine and then started stumbling and quit. He burned the starter trying to get it going again. As far as fuel and spark, yes, all good. Should fire. Thanks for the input.
R.

fbn ent

As far as what he has had done, stock wheels with high compression (don't know what, he runs releases) and gear drives but again I don't know what. The ignition I pulled was a Crane. Couldnt get the engine light to go out with it but the light does cycle correctly with the HD on in it now.
R.

fbn ent

After trying it again, I checked the crank sensor and it looks fine. I can get to the cam chest without taking his pipes off so I'll take a look to see if anything is visible there. Thanks again for your input.
Randy

JBarrettB

If you have compression and spark, suspect a fuel problem. If the bike has it's original vacuum petcock that is where I would start. Those things are prone to fail and not pass fuel.

JB

fbn ent

Yes. I have the tank off and a remote tank feeding it. Thanks

JBarrettB

FLTRI

Quote from: fbn ent on January 01, 2009, 08:38:41 AM
As far as what he has had done, stock wheels with high compression (don't know what, he runs releases) and gear drives but again I don't know what. The ignition I pulled was a Crane. Couldnt get the engine light to go out with it but the light does cycle correctly with the HD on in it now.R.
R,
Are you saying you put the stock HD ignition back in it? Still doesn't run? You see fuel squirting into the manifold from the carb? And you have spark? Those are the 2 things required for and engine to run. Check compression with a guage. If it has good compression prolly no need to tear into the cam chest.
Bob

fbn ent

Bob, Yes to all of the above. Gonna start over tomorrow. I have another new crank sensor here so will put it in. Plugs have good clean spark. I have fuel through the accelerator pump. Seems to be out of time....leading me back to the CKSensor. Good compression too, also even. FM. Try again tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. Never had an electrical problem beat me before..............JB, checked the bank angle by tipping it to the side. Engine won't crank. Will a bad bank angle sensor make the spark do what I have described also?
Randy

FLTRI

BAS shuts down the engine and will not allow the engine to turn restart/turn over if tripped. Cycling the ignition resets it.

JBarrettB

I recall a Sporty that had a BAS failure. The bike would spin over but not crank. I first thought it was the module, but replacing the module was not the fix. New BAS took care of the problem. Your manual should have a procedure for thoroughly testing it.

JB

FLTRI

"The bike would spin over but not crank"
Did you mean spin over but not start?

fbn ent

JBarrettB

I meant to use 'crunked'. Yes, not start.

JB

86fxwg

If you have a lab scope you can scope the sensor for a square wave signal at the module or ohm the sensor and compare your readings.We find lab scopes very usefull in the automotive feild to find intermitents.(bad fuel pumps,crank sensors,cam sensors,Incredible what you can diagnose with one.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx