May 08, 2024, 04:22:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sportsters Smaller Brain (ECU), Maximizing the Master Tune

Started by Sporty 48, May 17, 2011, 06:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sporty 48

Sportsters ECU has less capacity than the bigger twins, to save money......
So they do not have Adaptive Knock Retard (AKR) which is surprising since Sportsters were the original performance model.
They do not have Power Enhancement (PE) the high load cooling fuel splash. Baggers do carry a bigger load.
Of course Cam Tuning is not an option at this time since Sportsters only have MT7 files.
EITMS (Not sure what this means other than the engine is too hot at idle) Sportsters get Mode 1 AFR Enrichment.
Mode 2 is skip fire, not for Sportys.
This is where the question arises. Is there enough capacity to hold a decent tune?
Any tips to smooth out the power? To maximize ECU function.
A Sportster, Bird-dogs and an old Airstream, How Sweet It Is.

Steve Cole

The processor used in the Sportster ECM is the exact same one used in the TC ECM with cable throttle. HD just cut parts out to save $$$. So if the parts could be installed on the circuit board you would have the same ECM as the TC.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

whittlebeast

May 17, 2011, 06:56:48 PM #2 Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:00:55 PM by whittlebeast
So what would be the down side of making a base BT code to run a Sporty?  Now that I think about it I have a spare BT ECU laying around here to play with.  I wonder if with a little tweaking we could even bring the ION sensing on line.  That would be cool.....

AW
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.