April 27, 2024, 11:19:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'70 shovel problem

Started by anguscraggin, June 04, 2011, 02:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosemush

Try here:                                         http://www.sscycle.com/techtips/tech_tipslist.php?x_catagory=6

billbuilds

Angus,
     Here's how I find TDC: Take both spark plugs out. If you have a kicker sit on the bike and roll it over while you hold your thumb over the front plug hole. When it starts to build pressure stop and grab a plastic drinking straw. Slide it into the cylinder thru the plug hole until it bottoms on the piston. Slowly turn the motor over as you watch the straw rise with the piston. You may have to hold the straw upright and let it slide thru your fingers. Get it to where it's at it's highest point. Now take your timing plug off and see if you can see either of the timing marks. Putting the bike in 4th gear and slowly rolling the rear wheel forward and back should bring them into sight. Using the straw and the timing marks you should be able to figure out which one is which (advance and full retard).  HTH< Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Ajayrk

l S&S Big Twin flywheels have three timing marks,
"F", "R" and "TF". The "F" mark stands for front cylinder
35° before top dead center (TDC). The "R" mark is
rear cylinder 35° before TDC. The "TF" mark is TDC
front cylinder.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/download/ssmanuals/flywheel.pdf
AJ

harpwrench

The way I static set timing is as the other guys said, except I clip a test light end to ground, other end jumper-wired to points wire going to coil. With the switch on turn the points plate until the instant the points break, test light will come on. Other ignition related pitfalls....Make sure your advance isn't stuck, always set your points gap before setting timing. Make sure the points gap is equal on both lobes when you roll it over, tap the head of the bolt to center it if not. Make sure the condenser is good, I've had brand new bad ones right out of the box too.

anguscraggin

To all who posted...
Thanks for the input and advice, its up and runnin' like a top!  All went well on the check ride today and me and the old lady are taking it for a little spin this afternoon.  Thanks again, I'll post a pic in the next few days.
Angus

fzee

I looked to see if you said anything about adjusting your valves.  I didn't see anything and as was stated earlier in this post you should at least check them.  A fresh build with solid lifters will tighten up and hold the valve open just enough to make it hard to start.  Any ironhead (XL) wrench will tell you that.  Try a set of V- Thunder lifters and you'll never have to screw with them again!!!!

mike c

I guess if  it was me I would give S&S a call and ask them about the marks. They are friendly folks and will definately not be guessing when they give you an answer. Happy Trails.