March 28, 2024, 11:12:16 AM

News:

My New Flathead Chopper

Started by Pzokes, June 08, 2011, 03:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pzokes

This is a project that I started two years ago, but life got in the way of me working on it.  I found this frame, springer, roller on Craig's List.

There's miles to go before I sleep.

Pzokes

Traded off the billet front wheel for a 2000 spoked wheel.

Pzokes

Cut all the old steel of the raked neck, and welded in new plates.

Pzokes

Shortened the 12" over springer to 6" over, using one of Bill's Cycle kits that copies the old Bucannan kit.

Pzokes

Early mockup of sheetmetal.  Tank has tunnel dropped, but still needs to be narrowed.  Rear fender needs the sides cut off it.

Pzokes

Cut the strap brackets off the sissy bar that came with the "roller" and welded on bungs

Pzokes

Cut a 3/8" spacer to mount the Flathead motor in the Panhead frame.

Pzokes

Welded on bracket for 84-99 rear brake.  Used Fab Kevins spacers on the 3/4" axle,

Pzokes

My 84" stroker Flathead motor mounted in frame.   I'm ready to start working on it again.

panjs

Love flatheads. Please keep us updated.

CraigArizona85248

Oh HELL YEAH!  That's looking great!  I love big flatheads.  Great looking sissybar you've fabbed up too.  Can't wait to see this one when it's finished.

:teeth:

ricochet

Lookin good.  I like the stance and choice of parts.  How much you cutting off the sides of that fender?  Looks to nicely radius the tire just sitting there.  What fender is that?  I just bought a desperado fender but am using it as a blank to be cut to about where your's is now.  Can't wait to see color.

ricochet

Pzokes

Thanks for everyone for the encouragement.

That rear fender is a "One Ton Ho" by J.J.  I had thoughts of radiusing the fender at the edge of the tread, to show more meat in the rear.  But I do like the look of it now.  I may put a radius mark on the fender and paint that area with black primer to see how it looks. 
I've got a set of original Mustang Motorcycle gas tanks.  They have a little more narrow look than this Paughco tank, and are more pointed at the rear.  I had taken off the backs of the original Mustang tanks and pounded out all the dents.  I've got to make a decision on which tanks to use.  What I'll probably do is mount each set on the bike, for a week, sometime during this mockup stage, and just look at them every day......I've got three different tailights that I have to make a decision on too.

Since this picture was taken, I've switched the rear brake to a 2000 Softail brake.  It's first year of the new brake, and last year of the 3/4"  rear axle.  I had to weld on a different mount, but now the front and rear brakes  will be the same type. 

I'm starting to work on the other side of the bike now, installing a used Supermax Silent Drive w/new belt, Harley mousetrap, Linkert M51 carb, and fabbing an air cleaner.    I'm just going to take my time, fitting it in between doctor visits, and physical therapy. 

Speeding Big Twin

Looks good, Pzokes. And that fender gets my vote, too. I’ve never had a BT Flathead but two of my mates have them. I see a ribless gear cover so I'm guessing the engine may be 37-39? But with the later aluminium heads. Did it start life as a 74 or an 80?

And are you going to run forward-mounted pegs or mids? Just curious.     Eric

ricochet

That One Ton Ho was the other fender I looked at. It was real close but I figured I would be cutting it anyway.  You can use black electrical tape to black out any sample cutting so you can move it around some.

Can't wait to see more.

ricochet

Pzokes

June 10, 2011, 05:13:57 PM #15 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:36:01 PM by Pzokes
Eric,
The motor is a 1938.  It started life as an 80".  I had the blind races machined off, and have installed later Flathead bearings and races. The oiling has been changed too.   I clearanced the rods, then the rods were rebuilt by T&O, and I had them balance and assemble their complete flywheel assembly.  It's a Torquemonster 84". I didn't bother polishing anything on the motor, in case I want to use this motor in a restoration project someday.  I also have the original set of the early cast iron heads with the primers, but I bought a set of new aluminum heads 'cause I like that look, and I wanted to add singh grooves.  I am using the early intake manifold.  I need to find some fuel resistant plastic to make a carb spacer from.  The early return oil pump is off a Flathead called "Flat Cat", that was featured in Iron Horse Magazine many years ago. The early pump was removed from that bike, when it was sold. That pump was a little better than mine.
I'm kinda tall, so I don't feel comfortable on a bike with mid-controls.   

Ricochet,
Your electrical tape idea sounds good.  I'll give it a try.   

Pzokes

June 10, 2011, 07:35:09 PM #16 Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:40:08 PM by Pzokes
Here's some pictures of the original Mustang Motorcycle gas tanks and a Paughco reproduction.  It looks like the original tanks had a chain wrapped around them when the bike was picked up by a wrecker.  This was a common thing, in Laconia, when cops would arrest someone and impound their bike.  You can see how much narrower the profile is on the original tanks, than the Paughco.  Since these pictures were taken, I've cut the backs off these tanks, pounded out the dents, but still need to do a lot of work them.  I probably won't put these tanks on the bike during the early mock-up.

hotroadking

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohio-rider

Wow Wee..... That is going to be one hot bike when complete. Its got a nice smooth, clean look. By the way i vote for leaving the rear fender as it is.

Pzokes

I ended up leaving the sides on the fender, arc'n the front part to match the tire, and putting a radius on the bottom of the fender.  The sheet metal is at the painter's now.

Pzokes

August 25, 2011, 04:44:54 AM #20 Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:29:16 AM by Pzokes
(Note: '38-39 two piece clutch arm on left, modified '40-64 clutch arm on right).  I never liked when I run a jockey shift, or a mousetrap, and the clutch arm always hits the top of the transmission when the clutch is "in", wearing a groove in the trans top cover.  I found a '38-39 two piece clutch arm a few years ago.  It has a couple of small bends in it and doesn't hit the transmission top cover when the clutch is "in".  It looks like Harley found a way to save on production costs back then, by making the arm one piece, and eliminating the bends.  I just modified a '40-'64 with a couple of bends, so it doesn't hit.

Pzokes

August 25, 2011, 05:09:41 AM #21 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:59:36 AM by Pzokes
I've been thinking about sticking this bike in an "old school" chopper show when it it done.  I needed to use a bigger carb than the M51, for the stroker, but I like the look of Linkert carbs.  I figured that I'd go with a M74B carb, though still kinda small for '84".  I knew that the "young pups" that judge these shows wouldn't know the difference between a M51 and a M74B, so rather than weld a M74 four bolt flange on the 1938 three bolt flange manifold I decided to make an adapter so they could see that there was a carb change.  I put the M51 carb bowl on the M74B to make the float work right, and added Love Cycles copy of the Jammer "bird deflector".

CraigArizona85248

That's lookin' great!  I like the bird deflector too.  Love Cycles eh?  Is this the same Love Cycles here in Phoeonix?  If so, cool shop!  Jerimiah is a really nice guy to talk to.  I've been in there to introduce myself.  Figure there are so few shops around town that specialize in the old iron that I might as well get to know them and find out what services they provide in case I need them.

-Craig

Pzokes

Yes, it came from Love Cycles in Phoenix, AZ.  I think all they have left is the aluminum ones.

Pzokes

This is one of the last solid state regulators that Frank made.  It was purchased from his daughter after he died.  You can see his later logo on the end. I'll be using this on the 12v generator.