March 29, 2024, 01:39:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My New Flathead Chopper

Started by Pzokes, June 08, 2011, 03:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pzokes

September 02, 2011, 05:15:34 AM #25 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:29:47 AM by Pzokes
The restoration people are going to hate me for this, but they don't ride their bikes.  I drilled the case for the larger 12v generator bolts, and shortened a set of Panhead bolts. It can be put back to stock by driving a piece of thinwall aluminum tubing in the hole.

There's miles to go before I sleep.

Pzokes

September 02, 2011, 05:22:04 AM #26 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:32:24 AM by Pzokes
Dasia is the young woman that I have doing the metal prep, and paint.  Here are some early pictures. She emails me updates on what she is doing.  She hadn't trimmed the tape on the flame job in this picture.  She has a couple of young kids, and does this as "at home" work.  In the tank picture, you can see where I relocated the petcock too, to get all the gas out.

Pzokes

I found the rear wheel that I really wanted, a Centerline riveted rear wheel.  Tough to find, and tougher to find at a good price.  I had just put new bearing and seals in the Fatboy rear wheel. 

exfed12825

Wow, that is going to be one sweet machine, can't wait to see the pic's when your done  :up:
Motorcycle...Motorcycle...Motorcycle...
                  Crap still here

CraigArizona85248

Lookin' good!  I'm envious of the old Franks regulator.  I love those old period pieces that really worked.

-Craig

Pzokes

I have some other period pieces that I'll be putting on it.  I've also become interested in "Steampunk", so it will show a little of that influence too.

Robin

That is gonna be one NICE bike!!  Earlier, you said you changed the oiling, I am curious about what you did?  I know most guys that ride big flatties complained that as the motor got hot it would start to seize up from expansion and that some of that problem was due to lack of proper oiling.... Anyway, thats what I was told.  Did your modifications address this??  Thanks again for the pics!
Robin

Pzokes

Yes, you are correct about the problems of running big Flatheads at highway speeds.  Many of us are installing piston squirters and larger oil pumps to cure this.  Some of the new piston coatings might work just as well.  One other problem is the spark plug placement.  It was designed to cure spark plug fouling with the 1930's piston rings, and not placed for optimum flame travel.  That can be solved with Sighn groooves.  You just have to realize that this motor was designed with 75 year old technology, and apply tech advances to cure any problems.

Harpo

Nice to see someone who actually BUILDS a bike rather than the thousands who think they're doing the same thing with a catalog and a credit card.

Pzokes

Pzokes

After seven months of failed short sales and forclosure sales, I've finally bought another house.  It's a "distressed property" but has an attached two car garage.  It will be so nice to get my stuff out of the storage units.  It seems that whatever I've needed lately has been in a box in the back of a storage unit, and requires hours of moving boxes.

Now I'll be able to do some serious work on this Flathead!

ricochet

Well, congrats are in order!  You'll have plenty of time to get the house in order but by all means spead out in that garage space.  That's all you need right?

ricochet

Pzokes

Yeah, I've got all the pieces to get it running.  Just gotta find the right boxes.  Good thing I labeled everything

Overcamber

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a warning shot Won't be fired !

Pzokes

October 12, 2011, 11:26:45 PM #39 Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:31:27 PM by Pzokes
Here's this weeks update.
I also added a 1938 kicker cover and a 1938-40 two piece clutch arm.

panjs

Pzokes

October 13, 2011, 05:03:44 PM #41 Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:43:38 AM by Pzokes
Brought the finished bike to Tropical Tattoo Bike Show in Daytona, today and lost.  But I expected to.  It needs a lot more detail work.

Right now going to put it in the back of the garage of the house I just bought, while I set up benches and shelves.

This has been a great goal to keep me going, while I'm recovering.

Pzokes

December 16, 2011, 07:57:12 PM #42 Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:30:20 PM by Pzokes
Started working on the bike again yesterday.  I've got to fix all the details.  I stripped the front wheel off, got it stripped down to the star hub, and this morning dropped it off at the powdercoater's. He was running a load of black items, so my hub got blasted and put in with them.  Got the hub back at 4pm, still cooling from the oven. It's being put back together now.  I was never good at truing wheels, so I drop it off.

Next I've got to cut the pipes apart, add a piece, and change the brackets.  These pipes weren't  designed to put a Flathead in a Panhead frame.  It's gonna be a lot of work for something that won't be visable to anybody.  Too bad I don't have access to a bender.

Pzokes

Details...details...details....  Cut out a piece of pipe where Paughco put a relief in the pipe, in case anyone wanted to run footboards, I made a patch and had it tig'ed in. People were asking me why I had the chrome plater plate over a dent in the pipes.  Hmmm.  There is a couple of tie wraps holding the back part of that pipe, because I'm changing that bracket too.  The second picture is where Paughco put on spring clips to keep the pipes in the heads.  They do this on their Knucklehead and Flathead pipes, and it works great.  I've made some brackets for these pipes and will remove the spring clips.  It should look a little cleaner.   

Pzokes

Found a brand new Barnett Clutch Lever on Ebay.  I don't know if Barnett is remaking them.  They are definitely "old school".  These levers have a slightly longer pull, and a slightly different ratio. 

panjs

I bought a pair of those levers for my '61. The look and feel is just right.

CraigArizona85248

The bike is coming along great!

I use these same levers from Barnett on my panhead.  I really like them.  I got them new from Barnett about 5 years ago.

-Craig

Pzokes

I like the feel of them too, I also like that  they have some extra travel.  It's not a lot, but it's usually enough to make a difference in a bike that needs a touch more travel.

Robin

What did you find the clutch levers under in EBay, I looked and couldnt find any??.  All there was was Barnett clutch kits and about 156 pages worth.  Thanks!
Robin

Pzokes

Sorry, it was only a set  that he was selling.  They do have a small tag with a Midwest Cycle, part number #400277.

I want to caution anyone that is buying the new Anderson reproduction footpegs.  The ones I have seeen are a rough sand casting, and the points on the pad are not pointed.  But, there may be some good ones that I haven't seen.

I also like Love Cycle's "bird catcher".  That's a limited run of 25 apiece.  The brass ones are sold out, and this week only the aluminum ones are left.