May 09, 2024, 10:45:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT: Anti-Virus Software ?

Started by JimB, January 06, 2009, 01:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

Ive been using McAfee for a long time w/ no complaints ...
I ran Norton before McAfee & it slowed everything down to a crawl...
But Im sure there is other and maybe better software available these days...
I need to install it on 3 computers so multiple installations must be allowed without buying it 3 times...McAfee allows this.

Because of my internet business it needs to be really good stuff.

Suggestions ??

Thanks

Scooterfish

I went from Norton (slow)last Jan to Trend Micro Pro. I just installed the new version last night fro 09. I have been pleased with it and you can protect 3 PCs with one purchase. I didn`t renew through Trend Micro at $70. I bought the new package on sale at Office Max for $40 for the year.It was simple to just dump the old and start over.
Northern Indiana

Vforme

I've got Bit Defender...works good..don't know about multiple computers.

Coyote

AVG is all I ever use anymore. www.grisoft.com

They still have a free version I believe but for the cost, I just pay for it.

HroadhogD1

I like Kaspersky 2009 Internet Security.

Kansas

I checked with www.kimkomando.com which is the best single unbiased source for information on all things digital when I decided to change antivirus software.  On her recommendation I installed AVG and it's great.  Her site in a terrific source for information on compuers, software, hardware, digital cameras, etc.   :up:

FSG

Quote from: Coyote on January 06, 2009, 01:52:57 PM
AVG is all I ever use anymore. www.grisoft.com

They still have a free version I believe but for the cost, I just pay for it.

I use the FREE version   :up:

Clintster

Just signed up for the AVG free service, works great !!
Drive fast, take chances

Sonny S.

I posted this same question on the old HTT site. Majority was AVG FREE. I went with it and have had " zero " problems.

Scramjet

For free software use AVG.  It has consistently ranked the highest of the free software according to CNET.

For a paid package the Trend Micro Internet security is very good, can be loaded on three computers and does not consume the resources that Norton uses.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

Faast Ed

What I like about trend micro, is that you can block entire 'sectors' (such as adult, violent, etc) from your childrens computers, without having to identify specific sites to block.
I use the Mcafee in my personal computer (free from Comcast) and don't seem to notice a slowdown or other problems.
≡Faast Ed>

WVULTRA

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Juice

SuperAnti spyware Free edition
found a nasty one on ours that other ones, including Mcafee didn't

Crotch_Rockets_Suck

McAfee, but that's because I get it for free.
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Glenn W

Hey Jim, another vote for AVG. The Kaspersky stuff is very good also, but I ran into too many billing/spam issues with the US company that handles the billing end of things.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

HIPPO

I use the free version of Avast v. 4.8

Very good and quick.

Reddog74usa

Get the AVG Anti virous the frre version. Works great. :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

DanTheHarleyMan

Windows Live OneCare is the best out there now .You can monitor computers in your group. Staples is running a special 39.99 w/20. ReBate . Its for 3 computers I been using it on a 64 Bit system as well as a 32 Bit laptop .There is a lot of extras with the program and its not a power hog. STAY AWAY FROM NORTON. I have many complaints about the firewall and uninstalling (it wont unless u download a patch). C.A. is another good one for 3 users.

HarleyCharley

Ditto the Avast, and it's free for non-commercial use. Had it for about 3 yrs.    :up:

4DWUDS

I found it cheaper just to buy a MAC and quit worrying about it. and I don't have to spend a extra couple hundred ever year to "Upgrade" my software. :smile:
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

dakota224

I use Windows live one care.. work great. :up:

fattmann101

spyware doctor plus antivirus
does not slow system down. cleaned out trojans nortons could not.
best one I have tried

kik

I agree with WUltra. The Vipre anti-virus is a very good software. It's made for those who don't want to mess around making exceptions to allow this and that. It's constantly running in the background and updates behind the scenes and it will send emails to you when it finds a problem. I paid around $750. for 25 licenses and software included. Oh and the best parts is, I was running Symantec corporate edition, Symantec took up over 2 gigs of space on my server. With the Vipre software I'm only using 56megs of space. I've only been using the Vipre for 2 months now but since I've had it, It hasn't allowed any viruses in, unlikesymantec.

Kik

dohmixer

Quote from: HroadhogD1 on January 06, 2009, 02:00:48 PM
   I like Kaspersky 2009 Internet Security.
I agree with HroadhogD1 I’ve been using Kaspersky Internet Security for 3 years and love their product and product support forum. License for 3 computers was about $60 with the Holiday Special this year. I’ve had McAfee  :down: and  :down: Norton in the past and they are both huge resource hogs.
2000 Dyna Wide Glide     Union Baker BCTGM Local#85

tunadawg

AVG. If it's free, it's for me!

lionsm13

Quote from: HIPPO on January 06, 2009, 10:02:45 PM
I use the free version of Avast v. 4.8

Very good and quick.

Yep, same here. Got tired of Mac and Norton. Fiches their way too deep in all your stuff, and hard to get out too...

Coasty

I have a new lapton with Vista 64 came with Norton 360, in the past I would agree Norton is like the MD/DC beltway in rush hour.  However, supprised it appears not to be a memory hog.  I have used MS onecare with good success also you can put it on 3 computers.
Coasty

truck

Use the Norton removal tool if you install a new virus removal program.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

If you just use remove programs in control panel there will be bits and pieces left over that might cause you problems.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

cheetah

Live Every Day if it was your Last
Cause it just might be

HDRDR

January 09, 2009, 08:33:44 PM #30 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:35:45 PM by HDRDR