April 19, 2024, 06:18:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fifthgear Mainshaft Needle bearings

Started by wood02, June 30, 2011, 02:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wood02

2003 FLSTCI with 73,000 miles.  The needle bearings (both) have migrated to the middle of the fifthgear.  The cage on one side of the needle bearing has been crushed.  It did not loose any needles into the transmission.   I believe this may be a possible cause for wearing out my transmission drive pulley (splines were all but gone), mainshaft (scared from the bad needle bearings), fifthgear mainshaft (splines of the gear are worn, and fifthgear countershaft (replacing this to mate to a new fifthgear mainshaft).   I am looking to put some kind of "spacer" between these needle bearings.  I think that the 07's have a spacer.  Anyone have a part number.  I may use the bad "good" needle bearing - remove the needles and just put the housing in between the two new needle bearings when I put it back together.  Thoughts are appreciated.  I will try to take and post pictures.

Billy

'07's to present do have a spacer between the needle bearings but wrong size for a 5spd like yours.
I would measure what you need for a spacer (ID, OD and length) and have a machinist make one for you, pretty simple, shouldn't cost too much.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

wood02

Thanks for the feed back, Billy.  Ten years later and I can not for the "life" of me remember what I did to "correct".  I have put 9,000 miles on the bike since I posted this question ten years ago.  Sad I know.  Prostate cancer and two hip replacements...slowed me down.  Now I wear, what I call, my double vision glasses.  Slowing me down even more.  Thanks again.

turboprop

Quote from: wood02 on June 30, 2011, 02:23:16 PM2003 FLSTCI with 73,000 miles.  The needle bearings (both) have migrated to the middle of the fifthgear.  The cage on one side of the needle bearing has been crushed.  It did not loose any needles into the transmission.   I believe this may be a possible cause for wearing out my transmission drive pulley (splines were all but gone), mainshaft (scared from the bad needle bearings), fifthgear mainshaft (splines of the gear are worn, and fifthgear countershaft (replacing this to mate to a new fifthgear mainshaft).   I am looking to put some kind of "spacer" between these needle bearings.  I think that the 07's have a spacer.  Anyone have a part number.  I may use the bad "good" needle bearing - remove the needles and just put the housing in between the two new needle bearings when I put it back together.  Thoughts are appreciated.  I will try to take and post pictures.

This is a standard, off the shelf product from Zippers. It is not on their website, and I forget the part number. You will have to call them, but it exists. I have purchased a at least a dozen of these from Zippers for five speed transmissions. They are not specific to TC baggers and fit all five sped transmissions from Harley. Call Pete.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.