Inner fairing screws for 2002 RoadGlide ?????

Started by Ed Y, July 03, 2011, 05:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Y

There are 2 different size screws holding the outer fairing to the inner fairing. Both are black 10-16 self tapping pan head torx screws. My parts book shows 2995 as the 2 longer screws  and is 3/4" in length (one on each side at the bottom). It appears that 3732 is the other screw for the remaining holes but every parts book I look at does not show that number in the back where the spec's for the stuff are listed. No dealers close but a couple of phone calls wasn't any help at all. Parts guys weren't sure either.

Can anyone shed any light on the correct part # for the screws in question????? I'm pretty sure these have been the same screws from 1998 to present.

PkgMan

Interesting question

No help, but I have an '02 RG and have never noticed a length difference on the screws on mine and I have had my fairing off numerous times over the years.  I'll have to look the next time I pull it off....new speakers coming soon.

PkgMan

Ed Y

2 of them are definitely different. Instructions in the HD service manuals make reference to them too. Someone at another site said that the longer ones will work at all locations though but I haven't checked that yet.

Coyote

The longer screw (p/n 2995) goes in the bottom 2  holes. The shorter screw (p/n 3732) goes in the upper 4 holes. I would not swap them.

04Glider2

Had the fairing off several times on my 04. I know the manual says there are different lengths and the longer belong in the bottom. However mine are all the same length. Go figure  :scratch:

Ed Y

Quote from: Coyote on July 03, 2011, 07:38:48 AM
The longer screw (p/n 2995) goes in the bottom 2  holes. The shorter screw (p/n 3732) goes in the upper 4 holes. I would not swap them.

Is 3732 the correct shorter screw?  That's the part # I can't verify and neither can a couple of dealers. Can someone tell me the proper length of it? 1/2" or 5/8"?

Coyote

The part number is in the current parts price list.  50 cents each.

3732 SCREW, TORX PAN HEAD .25 A .50

and the other

2995 SCREW, TORX PAN HEAD .50 A 1.00

Ed Y

Don't understand the numbers following "head". My parts book shows the 2995 as being 10-16 x 3/4. How does that equate to .50 A 1.00????

Coyote

akajjmon

Ed, My 2000 fltrsei book shows 3732 as "Screw,#10-16x15/64 torx panhead. self tapping. hope that helps

Ed Y

Maybe, but if that's supposed to be the screw that holds the top part of the inner fairing to the outer fairing, 15/64 length seems awful short. That's less than 1/4" long or am I missing something?

Coyote

I'd just ask the parts guy at the dealer for the short or long RG fairing screw. Works for me. If they don't know, I'd go to another dealer.  :scratch:

Ed Y

I'm about 80 miles to the closest dealer. I called 2 of them and none can tell me for sure. The parts books show 3732 but the # is not in the description area where the size, length, etc is shown. (just like my 2002 parts book is). Neither dealer I talked to had the 3732 in stock so they couldn't measure length.

akajjmon

July 04, 2011, 05:03:44 PM #13 Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:31:33 PM by akajjmon
Quote from: Ed Y on July 03, 2011, 07:54:05 PM
Maybe, but if that's supposed to be the screw that holds the top part of the inner fairing to the outer fairing, 15/64 length seems awful short. That's less than 1/4" long or am I missing something?
Ed I looked at the exploded view and it is showing 4 #3732 screws and I double checked the part number. thats what it calls out? :nix:  I'll go pull one off my fairing and get back to you!

Ok I'm back!
Ed, mine has a 5/8" self tapping panhead torx? remember these lil buggers sit in a recess and only have to go through 1 layer of abs plastic and the screw self taps into an abs plastic hole, so 15/64  from the factory might be right :nix: as I recall one of the plastic holes in my outer fairing has been split and repaired from too long/tight bolt installation, have read a lot of posts asking how to repair these too. you might want to start with 15/64 and go longer if needed, keeping in mind how easily abs splits
:pop:

Ed Y

Thanks, 5/8" length sounds about right considering the 2 longer ones for the bottom are 3/4".

88b

Quote from: Coyote on July 03, 2011, 07:38:48 AM

please tell that to the idiot that reassembled mine after the accident I got two short ones in the bottom two longs in the top and one of each in the middle. plus crushed turn signal wires and odd length mirrors and a saddle bag lid that wouldn't stay shut. Apart from that it was a good job.

Ed Y

akajjmon

Ed, you want me to contact bleu bayou harley (local here) and see if they have the screws? If they have them it saves you a trip to Hammond I will pick em up and send them to you? :nix:
Also just to be sure were on the same page the 5/8 measurement I gave you was from the bottom of the screw head ( shank length not overall length) if your looking at overall for the 3/4 screws I would think someone put the #2995 screws in all the holes on my fairing?

Ed Y

Quote from: akajjmon on July 06, 2011, 05:01:30 AM
Ed, you want me to contact bleu bayou harley (local here) and see if they have the screws? If they have them it saves you a trip to Hammond I will pick em up and send them to you? :nix:
Also just to be sure were on the same page the 5/8 measurement I gave you was from the bottom of the screw head ( shank length not overall length) if your looking at overall for the 3/4 screws I would think someone put the #2995 screws in all the holes on my fairing?

Yep, I understood about the 5/8 measurement from the bottom of the screw head (standard procedure). I'm OK with the both 2995 and 3732. As it turns out, after pulling the inner fairing on my 2002 RG, the deer also managed to bend the lower triple tree on the left side. Nobody stocks a new lower triple tree so I had to order it and went ahead and order the 3732 screws at the same time. Should be good to go now.

appreciate the offer though.

akajjmon

Good deal Ed, sounds like you got it handled. How you and the wife feeling? getting healed up?

Ed Y

We're doing pretty good. My ribs are still not 100% but I am back at the gym doing light weight workouts. Wife is still dealing with the screwed up little finder on her left hand (tendor pulled loose from the anchor site) but it appears to be slowly healing. Bummer is that she must wear a small brace on it all the time.

Definitely looking forward to getting the bike on the road and riding again. At my age, I ain't got time to waste.  :teeth:

seattledyna

coming along fine on my end Ed, I got color on the parts this morning, next step is to wet-sand and put the "show coat" of clear on, polish then wait for things to cure enough to be safe to ship :up:

Ed Y

StrokerDave

Mike's on the job it will be better than new!  :up:

88b

Quote from: Ed Y on July 06, 2011, 12:59:43 PM
Mike,

Looking great.  :up: :up:

Ed you now need to send off the gas tank bags and rear fender  :wink:

and yes a dealer did "fix" my bike

Ken R

Wow, Mike.  That looks fantastic.  I'll bet it'll really pop and sparkle after wet sanding and clearcoat.  Be sure to post the AFTER pictures before sending 'em back to Ed. 

Ken

seattledyna

Will do Ken, that should happen today if all goes well with the schedule :up: