May 09, 2024, 05:32:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Engine Quit While Cruisin Down Highway, Starts Right Back Up

Started by Kirbo, June 02, 2011, 08:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirbo

How does one go about troubleshooting this? Bro thinks the oil pump quit but he didnt hear any unusual clatter before shutdown. Bike started right up after a few minutes and he rode it home. Could it quit and then begin pumping again or once it quits its done? Puzzled and frustrated, he just rebuilt tranny a few miles ago. Any ideas where to start?
Ride Safe

Kirbo

Nevermind, He did some checking and it looks like its the pump afterall. Sucks he has to remove engine to get at it.
Ride Safe

Hillside Motorcycle

Pump was air-bound, and didn't push oil correctly and smeared a piston??? (you'd hear noise, and smoke shortly thereafter)
Electronic ignition on it's way south??
Main circuit breaker weak??
Those are the first things that come to my mind.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Kirbo

We took the cover off the oil tank and ran it, there wasnt any oil returning to the tank. He blew the lines out to make sure they were open and still no oil returning to tank. Is there a way to remove the oil pump without actually having to remove the engine from the frame? Dumb design having the frame right under those bolts! All engineers should have to work on their designs before getting paid, I'm sure they would all run back to the chalk board and redesign things!
Ride Safe

garyajaz

am thinking if engine stopped due to lack of oil
other problems are now present.
as mentioned, piston, maybe bearings.
more than just pump at this point.

how he rode it home, depending on how far
makes me wonder if its scavenge side of pump.
he should not have made it far with no oil

Kirbo

I'm sure there is other damage also. Until we get the pump off and inspected along with taking the cam cover off its just a guessing game I guess. We are going to do a compression test before we tear into it to see how that is doing. He drove it home only a couple of miles at slow speed.
Ride Safe

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Dan-xlh1000

The old gerotor pumps can stop pumping from air in the system maybe due to repairs. Remove the oil light sender and let a few ounces of oil out.  Maybe to late anyway.