May 09, 2024, 06:25:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dyna 2000i killed

Started by xlfan, August 04, 2011, 11:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

What would be the most probable cause killing a Dynatek 2000i nose cone module? It started to have an occasional error after a wash, then ignition misfire occurred more and more often until it died. The only electrical fault found so far, is too low spark plug wire resistance, the long one reading 483 ohms and the short one reading 12 ohms.  Could this lead to overheating of module???

xlfan

Ajayrk

Too much heat in a nosecone application.
AJ

ChopperBob66

Not sure as to why yours failed. I'm running the Dyna 2000i ignition also. Mine failed after about 5-6 years. Called Dynatek, and they gave me repair order # and told me to send it in. They said it failed 4 out of 5 tests they performed on it. It was obviously way past any warranty. But they sold me a new one at 1/3 the cost of a new one. I was happy with that.
Bob
MMC(SS) USN ret.
Phoenix, Az

stroker800

Heat is #1 killer as stated,,my Dyna is goin bout 8 yrs and second bike...I have read in past bout wire leads and resistance...I don't believe its enough to make a difference,,,If goin to replace ,,pick up the Ultima version,,,the unit itself appears to be made by Dyna,,,the coil and wires are el cheapo from China,,,Keep as a back up,,,bout 1/2 the cost of Dyna
Dave

xlfan

Thanks guys,
Has any of you tried some kind of air cooling of that nose cone module? Would it hurt the module to run without timer cover?
How about air slots machined in timer cover? Extra holes drilled in the nose cone itself?

xlfan

76shuvlinoff

I would not drill the nose cone. You can put a washer behind the standoffs or between the standoffs and the cover leaving a small gap all the way around.

The heat sure can't help electronics but I'm going to jinx myself here, my 2ki has been on the shovel since 03. I quit carry spare points and advance assembly in 04.

... Now I'll probably be pushing on 2011....
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway