April 27, 2024, 02:11:56 PM

News:

Sportsters are NOT Shovelheads !!!

Started by fulldress79, January 09, 2009, 04:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speeding Big Twin

fulldress79, you're right about the name of that movie. You mentioned that a person ran the risk of someone's wrath if they called a CH a Sportster. When H-D placed the word Sportster on both sides of the XLCH tank (1971 model shown below), did that bring about a negative reaction from any potential CH buyers at the time?

Craig, I've got a sub to Greasy Kulture and I saw that Sportster you posted a picture of. Coincidentally, I recently put a similar set of bars on my 1999 FXST but I've got three-inch spacers between the handlebar clamp and the top tree. I'm happy with the bars thus far, especially when splitting heavy traffic. Over the last sixteen months I've tried five different bars and three ways of mounting them in an effort to get more comfortable.

ironhead lew, I'm in Western Australia and prior to the 1974 model I'd seen only a couple of Sportsters here. Then some of my mates bought new 1974 XLCHs but we just called them Sportsters then. You mentioned that in the late 1950s and early 1960s you called them shovel headed. Was that term for a Sportster only adopted in certain parts of the country or was it more widely used at the time? I'm just curious regarding how the terms change or move around over the years.     Eric

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: Speeding Big Twin on February 09, 2009, 06:40:37 PM
Craig, I've got a sub to Greasy Kulture and I saw that Sportster you posted a picture of. Coincidentally, I recently put a similar set of bars on my 1999 FXST but I've got three-inch spacers between the handlebar clamp and the top tree. I'm happy with the bars thus far, especially when splitting heavy traffic. Over the last sixteen months I've tried five different bars and three ways of mounting them in an effort to get more comfortable.

Oh... thanks for jogging my memory... I need to re-up my subscription.  I love the little rag!

-Craig

hotham

Reminds me of the guy that just spent $3500 to make his Evo FXR go fast.  He was told my 82 FXR was fast.  He says lets see what you got.  Two runs from a roll and he couldn"t believe he got beat by a Shovelhead.  I told him many have had that happen.  I think Rubs think a Shovelhead is just old junk.  You got to have a twinkie or at least an Evo.  Slowly they learn.

fulldress79

The people I knew who were radical about not calling a CH a Sportster,scorned the whole machine when the CH lost the magneto.In fact there was even some words about the post 1967 versions being not as desirable (why? I 'm not sure-maybe it was a break from the Model K cam and sprocket covers) These folks were hard core XLCH fans. As far as Sportsters being called Shovelheads--maybe its a regional thing. Around here (New England), in the late '60's a Shovelhead was strictly a big twin.

shov60

I go back to the late 60's when I first bought a 59 pan bone stock for 700. In the 70's everybody I new referred them as shovel sporty's
                                                    My 2 cents             shov60

RoadKingTrooper

What about the guy explaining the difference to his girlfriend between shovelhandles and panhandles? :gob: