May 09, 2024, 06:43:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Another Thundermax Tuning Assistance Request

Started by myke99, May 05, 2011, 07:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yo J

Quote from: myke99 on May 09, 2011, 08:00:41 PM
There are definitely performance issues around the 3k partial throttle range so I am worried about what this may do in the long run

I noticed the same thing this weekend.  I did notice more vibration ~3K and lowered the timing to ~24 in the 18-29 range in the table for the 3072rpm.  I am using the 2010.0.9 with Windows 7 Pro.

Mayor your map smoothed things out nicely.  The bike responds great, less vibration, don't know about numbers but just riding with the reduce timing is nice.  tnx.

mayor

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

mayor

I just spoke with James at Zipper's, he said that differences in the two timing change areas is not an issue for concern. He said it is not a glitch, but rather a feature inherent to the software.  He said that the *Timing vs. Engine Speed chart is more of a reference to the timing curve rate, and the Timing vs. TPS @ XXXX RPM generally should be used to make adjustments. 

Yo J

Mayor, on your Reply #18 the chart/table on the top @3072 timing decreases in the middle then increases in timing towards WOT?  That doesn't seem right :scratch:

mayor

That was the OP's map.  I didn't do that map myself.  James @ Zippers said they do that on their base maps because the mid section is where you are building the majority of your tq at that rpm and that's where it would be prone to ping the most.  I understand the concept since that's where you typically build your highest volumetric efficiency but I'm of a slightly different belief in regards to how that relates to timing, but I'm sure he understands the system he represents better than me.   :nix:  I had a rather long talk with him, and I have no doubt he knows the system well. 

My opinion on timing is more related to how MAP based timing systems work, and I relate it to a TPS based system on the notion that is you set your wide open throttle timing to the maximum allowable at full MAP and that full MAP TPS system is a variable based on RPM range.  Meaning that it occurs at a different throttle position on each rpm, moving further towards the right with each jump up in rpm.   right, wrong, or indifferent, seems to work for me.   :teeth:

Yo J

well when I look at the Scream'n Eagle timing table for back when I used a SERT  141-MJ016.mt6.... The timing decreases going from left to right... It starts out at 40+ and end up around 29* pending RPM/kPa..

So i dont understand how TMAX can have say 26* timing at 60% and then 30* timing at WOT for the same RPM???

Do you know?

Anyone?

myke99

Hi - Here is my latest T-Max fun.  :wtf:

I am going to purge everything and start with the original disc again but I thought I would check with you guys in case there is a root cause I should be looking for.

I was doing a bit better but am still struggling as you can see.

Mike
2007 FLTR, TMax, TC500 Cams, Supertrapp
2013 80" Evo Chopper

7hogs

How many disc's are you using? 

Did you get the firmware straightened out?

7hogs

PM me your phone number and I will call you tonight

myke99

May 11, 2011, 12:30:07 PM #34 Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 03:30:50 PM by myke99
I uninstalled the software reinstalled version 2009.0.5 and upgraded the firmware with map 325 if I recall correctly. It is for a bolt in cam with a 2:1 exhaust. I now have 16 discs closed cap after trying a few variations. I am more concerned with dialing in my timing first then I was going to work on the exhaust.
I have found that with the new configuration operation is more linear with much less heavy vibration overall. I did adjust the idle and off idle timing similar to the second of 3 videos recommended by a few folks on here. I will pm my number once I get home. what timezone are you in?
2013 80" Evo Chopper

7hogs

myke99

7hogs - I made an mistake with map # it is 397 as attached.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
2013 80" Evo Chopper

7hogs

I made some adjustments and ran Auto map. Run this and then read it, download the offsets and re send it to me. I sent you a pm with my email addy.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

myke99

Thanks - I will load it after work as I have my laptop with me. Will send offsets after I get home, I will have apx 50-55 miles on by then.
2013 80" Evo Chopper

7hogs

Don't forget to re initialize it? 30 on then 30 off three times.

myke99

I just wanted to give a big thanks to the folks who gave me a hand. Special thanks to 7hogs who has been patient and working with me offline.

My bike runs great and gets better every day.
2013 80" Evo Chopper

jimmybass2

Please help... I installed my thundermax with Auto-tune 3 days ago and now I have a problem!!!  Every time I try to link and monitor, I get the warning that the software and ECM are out of sync.  I've tried everything to get them synced back up.  If tried to reload the original map.  I've read the module to the software and saved.  I've tried all the "clearing" in the Map Editing.  My starting map is 629, and I'm willing to go back to square 1 if needed.

Please give this newbie step-by-step insturctions to get back in sync.

Thanks in advance, Jim

Eleft36

Quote from: jimmybass2 on August 09, 2011, 06:18:01 PM
Please help... I installed my thundermax with Auto-tune 3 days ago and now I have a problem!!!  Every time I try to link and monitor, I get the warning that the software and ECM are out of sync.  I've tried everything to get them synced back up.  If tried to reload the original map.  I've read the module to the software and saved.  I've tried all the "clearing" in the Map Editing.  My starting map is 629, and I'm willing to go back to square 1 if needed.

Please give this newbie step-by-step insturctions to get back in sync.

Thanks in advance, Jim

Just click Yes and it will automatically synchronize the map to the module, the module is forever changing as it runs.
Al
103" SE BB Andrews 26H's 2010 110" mufflers
Ride every chance I get, above 36*f

rbabos