May 03, 2024, 07:05:44 PM

News:

HVs Fly and Ride Adventure

Started by HV, January 11, 2009, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HV

I agree with Frank... not going to make a whole lot of set in stone plans... great ideas though... nice to have info from the area to fall back on... as for cool riding ....remember we are from the land of riding in 45 to 50 F feels WARM...anything over 55 is T Shirt weather  :teeth:... I ride the Atlantic coast every weekend ......in the summer its not common to leave my house and have the temp drop 20 Degrees in 15 Miles to the beaches ...but its the price you pay for ocean riding  :up:  I may just be like my dog... find a warm place in the sun and sleep  :pop:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Joncin

It's too bad you're not gonna be out a week or so later. You could make a quick run down to AZ for Bike Week, hit some drag races and meet a few desert rats at my BBQ. :teeth:

inspector

My wife and I were out there the 1st week in june 08.you said you were used to cold weather,I hope so.The morning we left the south side of GC,it was 38 deg.(as the elevation in 7200'),when we pulled in to Vegas it was 110.We rode thru the Mojave Desert in the morning and it was cold also.If the roads are open,Yosmite NP is the prettyist place I have ever seen.I hope you have a good trip.

Tollbooth

Bring every piece of cold weather gear. Gets real cold/snows at the canyon in march. Check out AZ Bike Week. Other than that, you are in for a great time.
TB

HV

Its tempting... :teeth: ...My wife and Boss may have something to say .. :cry:
Skype HV.HTT

apendejo

The ride from LV to the SF area is a solid FULL day haul. Just so ya know. Depending on the snowpak this year you may also be limited by which routes you will be able to take. Heavy snow you are going to have to go thru LA then up the coast. If the passes are open you can go thru Death Valley to 395 then north to Lee Vining and take 120 across the Eastern Sierras. That is a very nice ride which will take you thru Yosemite National Park. Be aware that there is a rather steep fee to use this road. The free road is 108, a few miles up above Bridgeport. A very nice slow windy narrow azz mountain road that drops you out on 49 in the gold country. Still quite a haul to SF from there.
Be aware that there is an awful lot of good things to see out in the desert that time of year. Valley of Fire State Park is a must see.
Keep us posted.
AP

HIPPO

Quote from: Joncin on January 12, 2009, 03:14:31 PM
It's too bad you're not gonna be out a week or so later. You could make a quick run down to AZ for Bike Week, hit some drag races and meet a few desert rats at my BBQ. :teeth:

Just cook up a couple of burgers and we deliver them to LV.

HV

Quote from: HIPPO on January 12, 2009, 05:03:16 PM
Quote from: Joncin on January 12, 2009, 03:14:31 PM

Just cook up a couple of burgers and we deliver them to LV.

Ya never know...we may just come back early and go to AZ... ( Ill have Mozza / Bacon ) on mine  :smilep:
Skype HV.HTT

Phu Cat

Feel sorry for ya, HV.  You're gonna leave Canada in March to go to Vegas?  It'll be hot that far south.  You'll come back to Canada with thin blood........or maybe ya won't go back?  Who knows. 

Enjoy.  Safety first.

PC

(March in Ohio usually sucks.)
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

HV

Ill prob have thin blood when I get back....but not from the ............heat  :hyst:  :beer:
Skype HV.HTT

Yukon

Glad to hear your taking a well deserved rest HV. That blue electraglide I left in your shop took that trip in the summer of 96. Went through Death valley and the gas bar in Pharumph(sic) said it was 130 F. PCH was amazing. Redwoods were something else. Stayed at center city hotel in LV but later was told it wasn't a good end of town. Better off on the strip. Anyway, hope ya have the trip ya deserve................Yukon

HV

Thanks Mike ... Ill have a beer down there for ya... :smiled: actually had a guy in today looking at your old bike..  :up:
Skype HV.HTT

Buckwheat

Hey HV....while in San Francisco if you want to do something different,
go to Fisherman's Warf and take a ferry out to Alcatraz Island.  They have
a really cool tour of the prison and of the whole island.  It's worth the trip.

taz95dog

hv,be sure to ride out to red rock canon,there is a 13 mile one way loop thru the park. down the rode ,two miles, is old nevada - bonney springs.great burgers and cold beer. it won't be to hot in march and it's a "dry heat".about 10 miles more is mtn.springs bar,it's on the hill 5,000", between lv and parump.the bar is 50 years old .(and looks it)cool place,it is the biker bar around here.no shorts or sandals please! the sahara hotel is close to lvhd,I-15 and us-95.older place but not in the middle of all the strip mess. ya'll will have a good time....bill... :beer:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

HV

Taz...thanks Man...Im takin NOTES!!
Skype HV.HTT

Norton Commando

K & N filters flow more air and more dirt.   
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

HV

Skype HV.HTT

texaskatfish

HV - hate to keep piling on bubba - you need a MONTH in that area!
You'll be within striking distance of the '4 corners' and Monument Valley (especially if you're an old western movie fan) in southern Utah.

And not much further to Durango Colorado which is of course where one can ride the Durango-Silverton- Ouray- Telluride loop around the 'Alps of America' (all except for your trip being in March - likely too early for this one)

Yall are gonna LOVVIT!!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

HV

I may go to a local Dealer and get a job for a few WEEKS ...  :wink:
Skype HV.HTT

Dennis The Menace

Brian, I may be out that way around the same time looking at some houses.  Likely wont have the bike, but if you guys slow down anywhere around the LV area, I wouldnt mind stopping by a watering hole and buying ya a round or two.  Like you, my plans arent firm yet, but sure would like to meet you, shake your hand and at least buy a round for an HTTer who has helped so many of us.

Whatever your plans, have fun and dont plan too much...just go for it!

Dennis

Biscuit

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You sure have something to look forward to.
"I do all my own stunts".

HV

About the only thing im sure of is where we are starting and ending up at.. LV ...where we are in between is any ones guess... :teeth:
Skype HV.HTT

IBARider

Quote from: HV® on January 14, 2009, 05:42:42 AM
I may go to a local Dealer and get a job for a few WEEKS ...  :wink:

You mean there's a chance of getting my bike diagnosed correctly and repaired in under 3 weeks?
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

apes

Don't forget the Pacific Coast Highway and Ditto what Hippo said about the road between Fortuna and Red Bluff, ( hwy 36 ) incredible bike road....2+ hours of constant turns and by March we will be well in to spring....

Fxstchewy

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."