May 06, 2024, 03:16:37 PM

News:

117" cylinder debate

Started by Redrubicon2004, September 25, 2011, 02:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valley

Quote from: DBChoppers on September 28, 2011, 04:45:55 PM
We use S&S or Harley for our 117" builds.   Axtell Cylinders below

Hey I have some pics just like that.... :gob: Been there, done that.

Azgunner

So what have all of you experienced builders done to cause this? Come on, fess up.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

fatboi1959

Mine looked just like the ones pictured after 3,000 miles. I was told my motor was an unhappy one.

TXChop

So... for everyone using S&S or Rev Perf cyls, what pistons are you using? Last i checked, they just offered flat tops and smal rev domes. What about pistons for 110 heads, or 20/30 degree domes?

HD/Wrench

TX we did a SS 124 kit with 30* domes, Customer was swapping out his other 124 kit for the SS...  I had CP custom make the pistons. Took about 3 weeks to get them.  Being that I had another with the right dome we took that info along with the specs off the standard SS piston and they built it for me. Once that is done no big deal as you have the data card... as you know but , not much else to do but have them built.

Deye76

September 30, 2011, 01:28:41 PM #30 Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:34:34 PM by Deye76
The factory cylinders aren't mentioned in the first post. I've had excellent luck with factory jugs, as long as the person cleaning them up (overbore) knows what they're doing.  4.060" have given me great service. I'll stick with H-D, price is good also.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Azgunner on September 29, 2011, 08:50:34 PM
So what have all of you experienced builders done to cause this? Come on, fess up.

RevPerf told me that I didn't clean them right. The second set they sent I video taped the entire wash process and assembly, and it was still my fault (wrong break in procedure).
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Don D

I'll stick with H-D, price is good also

Yep,
Rockover at BDC is better  :teeth: :wink:

Don D

Rethink rock-over at BDC, remember the piston leaves the hole on some of those shorter spigots 5/8" or so. Where is the piston gauge point, they are cam ground on the skirt remember.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: DBChoppers on September 28, 2011, 04:45:55 PM
We use S&S or Harley for our 117" builds.   Axtell Cylinders below

I know some of us truely believe we are beyond mistakes, but was Axtell contacted in regards to this, to lend a hand/examine/rectify????????...................I think I know the answer................. :dgust:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HD/Wrench

Quote from: DBChoppers on September 28, 2011, 06:00:38 PM
We never had the chance to send them back to Axtell for inspection, we got them from another shop with a set of heads for inspection and machining, well nothing past inspection.

We were hoping to keep the cylinders so we could send them back to Ron and find out why they failed but the customer did not want to repair his bike, so the other shop is reassembling the engine so the guy can sell it as is.  :nix:

Here you go.