May 09, 2024, 01:36:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

The effects of AFV on open loop areas

Started by 1FSTRK, September 28, 2011, 10:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on October 15, 2011, 02:00:59 PM
Quote from: rbabos on October 15, 2011, 09:45:16 AM
Personally have used both egt's and spark plug thermocouplers to check carb tunes on experimental aircraft engines. Frankly, I see no use for them with efi. If there's an acurate means of determining the afrs the exhaust will be within spec, as well as head temps. While it's all interesting to view, in the end it's overtooling for the task, and somewhat redundant. IMHO
Ron

Besides just theorizing on that. I would rather do some particle test and reply later. I'm sure an EGT post is coming near future.

We have the same background dealing with this. Mine was more spinning a main rotor but....  Be interesting to say the least.
Done both fixed and rotory myself, in the experiemental arena. Jason, not saying the egts are useless, far from that but with all the tts data that can be had I just never felt the need to hook up a dual egt system. Simple as dirt to do if one feels the need and in a weird sort of way the afrs could actually be dialed in with them. Crude but effective.  Would be interesting to compare a fan cooled 360/380 Lyc working it's guts out in hover to a wfo Harley. My last experience with egt's is using the 2 stroke Rotax engines and the sole instrument to make sure the mixture wasn't going to cause a melt down. Never ventured over 1250 with these puppies or you were looking for trouble. :hyst:
Ron