May 03, 2024, 02:44:28 PM

News:

OT:O.W.I snowmobiling in wisconsin?

Started by 86fxwg, January 12, 2009, 07:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

Well went sleding last weekend and a buddy got an o.w.i in vialis county wisconsin, 2 tickets at $627.00 a peice.Any one have a good atorney they can recamend or gotten one of these,is it a must appear ticket? because a day of work and a 8 hour drive sucks any comments welcome.Any advice is welcome.

Ps dont slow and go a snomobile stop sign.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

PoorUB

Well that sucks, but if you break the law and get caught, you pay the price!

When I was young we could ride snowmobile any where you wanted, and as fast or slow as we wanted. Carry a bottle of your favorite brew, and if you got caught the cop would probably just tell you to yake it easy and get your butt home. We probably ruined it for todays riders!!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

86fxwg

I know every body has herd this before but he was far from intoxicated, yes he had three brews 1 half hours before they pulled us over, in an hour and a half time period,on top of that it was -20 degrees you sober up real quick.There was 4 of us,they feild tested me and him and said he failed.He doesnt want to fight it, he just doesnt want to take the day off work.It doesnt go against your drivers lisence, this we dint know at the time, so he didnt blow.Hell they said if they smell any alcohol at all they can ticket you for operating under an intoxicant not that your intoxicated but that you've had an intoxicant.Hell no more 2 beers on 2 wheels for me no wonder there wasnt any body on sleds.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Panzer

$1254.00, that's pretty steep in anybody's book.
They made him blow and he failed?...........mmmm
Stop sign was one infraction, what was the other?
What is their (cops) fines cost listing, they just can't pull fine costs out of thin air.
Or.......you're not stating all that happened to warrent $1254.00.
Even on the road, I never heard of one traffic violation costing $627.00.
Fess up, I'm all ears.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Big Dan

Snowmobile O.W.I. can be a problem here in Wisconsin. 13 snowmobile deaths so far this winter; the news says roughly 1/2 were alcohol related (so, what, 6-1/2....?).

The authorities and many statewide snowmobile clubs are also on the hunt for a group of 3 or 4 sledders that herded up 5 deer in a farm field up by Waupaca and then ran them over with their sleds. Those clowns had to be loaded. And I hope they pay a steep price.

Not trying to make any judgements here (except for the asshat deerslayers), just reporting the news.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

egstandard

Was it in Eagle River? I know they can be a pain around there. We stay in Three Lakes and when we go North for the day, we always detour around Eagle River on the return trip. Tougher enforcement since the high profile case of the Chicago reporter who got killed last year.

Big Dan

Article from today's paper:

Thrill killing is suspected in the slaughter of five deer in Waupaca County, with snowmobilers believed to have chased the animals down in a field and run them over, authorities said Monday.

By Monday afternoon, a reward fund for information leading to the killers had climbed to $9,000, fueled by local snowmobile clubs and residents outraged by the crime.

"Apparently some people using snowmobiles as a weapon ran down, dragged and did unspeakable acts of cruelty" to the deer, said state Department of Natural Resources spokeswoman Laurel Steffes.

"The overwhelming majority of snowmobilers find this act despicable," Steffes said. "Everybody is pretty shocked."

The discovery was made about 9 a.m. Saturday by a farmer who rents the land near Denmark and Holiday roads in the Town of Lind, said Detective Sgt. John Mocadlo of the Waupaca County Sheriff's Department.

The field is along a snowmobile trail on private land, and investigators think three or four snowmobiles were involved in the attack, sometime between 1:30 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

Four deer were found dead at the scene and a fifth had to be euthanized, said Carl Mesman, a conservation warden supervisor with the DNR.

One deer was apparently dragged and strapped by the neck to a tree, where it was run over and apparently died trying to free itself.

Investigators think one deer was placed under a snowmobile and eviscerated by the machine's track, Mesman said.

"This is not something I've personally ever seen before, especially what appears to be the joy that (the killers) took," said Mesman, who noted an increase in the number of incidents in which people have used motor vehicles to intentionally run over animals.

The snow depth and a crust of ice covering the field prevented the deer from escaping, said John Anderson, trail coordinator for the County Line Trail Blazers, one of the snowmobile clubs involved in the reward fund.

"A snowmobile can get off the trail and go fairly fast," said Anderson, who visited the scene Saturday. "But there is enough snow to slow the deer down a bit . . . so they were easy targets.

"The deer clearly suffered."

5-mile gap closed
Byron Goetsch, regional warden for the state DNR's northeast region, said the owner of the land has closed the trail to snowmobilers until the perpetrators are found.

The closure has resulted in a 5-mile gap in the Waupaca County snowmobile trail system, Goetsch said.

"When something like this happens, everyone suffers," Goetsch said.

Snowmobilers who used the now-closed portion of the trail must travel 30 to 40 miles out of their way to bypass the area, Anderson said.

The landowner, Virginia Niemuth, said the trail would remain closed on her property until the perpetrators are found. "And hopefully, they will be punished," she added.

"I couldn't believe it that somebody would actually lower themselves to the point that they would treat animals like that," Niemuth said.

Robert Sprenger, president of the Waupaca County Snowmobile Association, said the killings put snowmobilers in a bad light.

"This is disgusting. It's totally, totally repulsive," Sprenger said. "This is really painting a bad picture of snowmobilers, and that's not the case."

His and other snowmobile clubs and residents have raised about $9,000 for the reward fund, he said.

"The general snowmobilers are good people," Sprenger said. "They're community-minded people. They cut the trails, clear the brush, make everything as safe as possible, and then we get some yahoos who go out there and do this."

"I can't think of a word to describe it," he said. "It's that bad."

egstandard

That's just unbelievable. Who could do something like that? Even when drunk, that goes beyond anything I have ever heard of. If they are out of staters which they probably are, it will be hard to catch them. Disgusting. :angry:

MrClean

Go to

http://dui.findlaw.com/dui/state-dui-law/wisconsin-dui-law.html

at the bottom you will see how to contact a lawyer.

If the officer smells alcohol then he or she can test.  If your bud did not take the test then he is guilty.  Wisconsins "Implied Consent" Law.  He might get out of it, but it is going to cost him a few $$$$.

Like Panzer, I believe there is more to the story.

On the story about the snowmobilers killing the deer.  I think you can shoot dogs for chasing deer.  If these idiots are caught I think they should be made to watch as there sleds are burned.  There must be a bar close by that remembers a group out and about at that time.  They most likely will be caught.  If public opinion could impose the penalty they could be talking in a very high pitched voice.
These are the facts according to my opinions.

Fugawee

The deer/snowmobile story sure is a SICK one. Those SOB's I hope are caught. That really is some SICK sh*t.

Dennis The Menace

Damn, snomobiling out that way is rough.  Snomobilers in Colorado just go over cliffs, get killed in avalances or just plain get lost and die.  Pretty much non-events out this way.  You guys sure know how to have fun in Wisconsin.....I need to move out there.  lol

86fxwg

Hears the truth,he slowed and goed a stop sign the rest of us rolled thru it 3mph, they pulled in front of use with truck lights on asked use to remove our helmets and gloves the officer pulled him to the rear and feild checked him, he failed.they feild tested me i passed they wrote him the tickets for o.w.i $627.00 second ticket for refusing the breath test $627.00 whats crazy is they had a news camera from fox channel 6 news there too, maybe d.n.r was looking for a story on the idiots that killed the deer.We were in st germaine.
As far as im concerned theneed to drag those a holes by there big toes behind a sled.
Thats the truth!But whats crazy is theres no drivers license # on either ticket just his adress.
By the way the fronteir bar sucks.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

MrClean

One deer was apparently dragged and strapped by the neck to a tree, where it was run over and apparently died trying to free itself.
Dennis,I hope you are kidding  when you said "You guys sure know how to have fun in Wisconsin" and you don't think that the slaughter of five deer is in anyway fun.

Big Dan

The lates news says they found parts of at least one sled at the scene, and hope they can determine year/make/model from those parts. That would certainly help in the search.

Panzer

I don't think we heard the last of this.
Soon the rope might be around the perps neck instead of the deer.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Big Dan

Another frickin' beauty:   

Authorities are searching for a snowmobiler who ran over and killed 57 mallard ducks Tuesday on a river in Fond du Lac, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.

The ducks were found in an area of open water and on the ice of the Fond du Lac River near Lake Winnebago, said George Protogere, a DNR warden supervisor.

The snowmobiler apparently skipped over the open water, turned around and skipped over the water again, Protogere said.

The fact that the snowmobiler appears to have intentionally run over the ducks is disturbing, Protogere said.

"You think about wildlife and the journey that they have when they migrate and the ones that stick around with these harsh temperatures, and then all of the sudden they get killed by a senseless act," he said. "It just does not make any sense."

The ducks - 37 drake mallards and 20 mallard hens - were killed sometime between about 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tuesday, Protogere said.

The duck slaughter comes less than a week after snowmobilers ran down and killed four deer and fatally injured a fifth Friday night in Waupaca County. No arrests have been made in connection with that case, authorities said.

Anyone with information about either case is asked to call the DNR's violation tip line at (800) TIP-WDNR or (800) 847-9367.

Big Dan

Got em'!

Authorities have jailed three Waupaca County men in connection with what authorities suspect was the thrill killing of five deer last week by intentionally hitting them with snowmobiles.

Robby Kuenzi, 23, Rory Kuenzi, 24, and Nicholas Hermes, 22, are being held in the Waupaca County Jail in relation to the killing, an official in the clerk of courts office said. Hermes has been charged with five felony counts of mistreatment of animals/causing death, and he's scheduled for an appearance in Waupaca County Circuit Court this afternoon, the court official said.

The Kuenzis had been scheduled to appear in court, but those appearances have been delayed, the official said.

A farmer discovered five deer slaughtered in a field along a snowmobile trail Saturday. One deer was apparently dragged and strapped by the neck to a tree, where it was run over and apparently died trying to free itself, investigators said.

The Waupaca County Sheriff's Department has said it plans to release more information on the arrests later this afternoon.

MrClean

marc

Throw deer scent all over them and throw them to the deer...Bastards should die...JMHO...

86fxwg

HANG'UM HIGH, REAL HIGH
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Big Dan

The Kuenzis had been scheduled to appear in court, but those appearances have been delayed, the official said.

I wonder what that's about. Good lawyer, or rolled over on the other dude? Knowing our state, and the public outrage over this deal, I'd imagine punishment will be quite harsh (as it should be).

I can't even imagine if this had been bikes.....

Deye76

Killing animals with snowmobiles? You guys in Wi./UP of Mi. gotta quit drinking that lousy Miller beer. They must be drugging it to improve sales and catch AB. If ya don't like Bud and want to remain loyal then try Old Style fer Christ sakes. :beer:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Tollbooth

Got em. Those cops in Wisc are good. Glad they caught em.
The thing i can't figure out is, why is it that almost every time i see a Wisconsin police car with someone pulled over for a traffic violation The offender has Illinois plates. Has happened toooooo often not to be true.

egstandard

Glad they got them. Punishment should fit the crime.

MrClean

January 16, 2009, 06:31:43 AM #24 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 06:34:48 AM by MrClean
Tollbooth.

The answer to your question is easy.  The FIB's are driving 20 to 25 mph faster than anybody else.  They seem to have forgotten that they crossed the border and are not in Illinios anymore.

And Old Style beer is not made in  Wisconsin anymore.

Deye76

Quote from: MrClean on January 16, 2009, 06:31:43 AM
Tollbooth.

The answer to your question is easy.  The FIB's are driving 20 to 25 mph faster than anybody else.  They seem to have forgotten that they crossed the border and are not in Illinios anymore.

And Old Style beer is not made in  Wisconsin anymore.

So where's it made? Heilman's headquarters is listed as currently in Milwaukee.

Big Dan

January 16, 2009, 07:34:51 AM #26 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:29:22 AM by Big Dan
"Apparently, those drinkers don't know that Old Style, which still has cachet in Wisconsin and the Chicago area, is brewed by MillerCoors LLC, the nation's second-largest brewer, in Milwaukee; Trenton, Ohio; and Fort Worth, Texas."

Big Dan

Latest:

Authorities announced breaks Thursday in two recent cases in which snowmobiles were used to slaughter five deer in Waupaca County and 57 ducks in Fond du Lac.

In Waupaca County, Nicholas D. Hermes, 22, of Weyauwega was charged with five counts of being party to the crime of mistreatment of animals. A criminal complaint accused him of running down the deer with two other men on snowmobiles Jan. 8 in the Town of Lind.

The other men, brothers Robby D. Kuenzi, 23, and Rory A. Kuenzi, 24, also of Weyauwega, were in custody Thursday but had not been charged.

In the Fond du Lac case, a Department of Natural Resources official said a man has admitted his involvement in the duck deaths, discovered Tuesday in an area of open water and ice on the Fond du Lac River near Lake Winnebago.

The DNR official said the man was not in custody and that authorities were seeking another person involved in the deaths.

According to the criminal complaint against Hermes, he and the Kuenzi brothers, one of whom was on a stolen snowmobile, drove into a herd of 30 to 40 deer in the field after Hermes accidentally struck one deer on a nearby snowmobile trail.

A farmer contacted authorities after discovering four dead deer and one that had to be euthanized. Investigators determined all five had been struck by snowmobiles.

"It appeared that whoever had done so was almost attempting to corral the deer by driving in a circular fashion," according to the complaint, which described snowmobile tracks circling deer tracks.

One set of snowmobile tracks led to a deer found near the trail.

"It appeared as if whoever had run the deer over had rapidly accelerated the snowmobile while driving over" it, according to the complaint.

Another deer found tethered to a tree apparently strangled itself by circling the tree. The other three deer were found in various parts of the field with significant injuries, mostly broken legs.

A tip led investigators to the stolen snowmobile, left in a wooded, brushy area in the Town of Mukwa.

Another tip sent investigators with the DNR and the Waupaca County sheriff's office to Hermes' residence, where they found a snowmobile that appeared to have blood and deer hair on it.

Hermes, who was arrested at a dairy where he is employed, told investigators that while riding with his girlfriend and the Kuenzis he struck a deer that jumped out in front of him. After the deer stumbled and kept running, the two brothers left the trail and began running down deer in the field, he said.

Hermes claimed he, too, entered the field and attempted to stop the slaughter, but the Kuenzis continued. He said at one point Rory Kuenzi was "towing or pulling a deer behind his snowmobile" before the deer was tied to a tree.

Hermes said he "clipped" a deer at one point and accidentally ran over another that was lying on the ground.

His girlfriend, however, told investigators she was riding with Hermes behind the two brothers and the first deer was struck by all three machines and all three men then began chasing the other deer.

Hermes was released Thursday on a $15,000 signature bond, a jail official said.

His next scheduled court appearance is Jan. 27, according to online court records.

The break in the Fond du Lac case came when a man in his 30s from the Fond du Lac area called the DNR Wednesday evening, said George Protogere, a DNR warden supervisor.

The man was interviewed by the DNR, but Protogere said he could not discuss the interview in detail because the case is still being investigated.

Tracks in the snow where the ducks were found suggest that the snowmobiler who struck them skipped over open water, turned around and skipped over the water again, Protogere said.

Officials are hoping to speak with a second person who may have been present when the ducks were killed, Protogere said.

"We don't know that person's involvement," Protogere said. "We have to talk to that person to confirm the story. He could have just been an innocent partner who did nothing, but we don't know."

The man who contacted the DNR has not been arrested, Protogere said.

After interviewing the second person, investigators will meet with the Fond du Lac County district attorney's office to determine the next step in the case, he said.

Deye76

Quote from: Big Dan on January 16, 2009, 07:34:51 AM
"Apparently, those drinkers don't know that Old Style, which still has cachet in Wisconsin and the Chicago area, is brewed by MillerCoors LLC, the nation's second-largest brewer, in Milwaukee; Trenton, Ohio; and Fort Worth, Texas."

All the more reason to drink the "good stuff" LOL.
Also glad they caught the morons.

Blazing Saddles

I only hope that these idiots don't show up in court wearing Harley-Davidson t-shirts and as a fitting punishment they are sent to Afghanistan to be used as Asuma A Blown Noggin' bait.

Blazin'

Milehog

There is an old Little Johnny joke with an appropriate punch line.

"F U C M teacher, fukkem."
Proud IBA member

Big Dan

This just keeps getting better and better (actually worse and worse)....

Jan. 17, 2009 | Waupaca - A man accused of running over and killing deer with his snowmobile along with two others is a suspect in a hit-and-run pedestrian fatality, court records show.

Rory Kuenzi, 24, his brother Robby Kuenzi, 23, and Nicholas D. Hermes, 22, face multiple felonies related to the Jan. 9 killing of four adult deer and a fawn.

Prosecutors say the three Weyauwega residents chased the animals down with snowmobiles.

But court records allege Rory Kuenzi is a suspect in the 2004 death of Kevin McCoy, who was struck by a vehicle while walking home from a party in Farmington.

Waupaca County District Attorney John Snider says the investigation has been set back by a bungled reconstruction effort. The case was later sent to the State Patrol for a reconstruction report, and there it remains.