Are you kidding?? Myrtle Beach cancels both bike weeks

Started by a8nsk8, January 14, 2009, 08:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flat Dog

QuoteOrganizers of Myrtle Beach Black Bike Week invite all people regardless of race or the type of motorcycle you ride, “providing you respect us”.

Kind of like the respect a caucasian biker would get in da hood?

carolinayarddog

"Kind of like the respect a caucasian biker would get in da hood?"

If you go to Daytona, go over to the Bethune area; in over ten years of attendance, I've only seen them welcomed and have never heard of a single reverse incident.

texaskatfish

Pocket all that rally cash folks and go RIDE out in the country!

(you can thank me later........)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Dennis The Menace

Quote from: carolinayarddog on January 15, 2009, 04:56:19 AM
"Kind of like the respect a caucasian biker would get in da hood?"

If you go to Daytona, go over to the Bethune area; in over ten years of attendance, I've only seen them welcomed and have never heard of a single reverse incident.

Yepp, there are places where we all get along.  But I have been in my share of places in Georgia where I was told I wasnt welcomed.  And, its wasnt because I was a biker either.  Those who live there know what I am talkin bout.

Anyhow, the towns that turn away rallies and groups of bikers in general have a right to do so.  However, if I were to run through a town while riding/toruing/vacationing and was harrassed or pulled over or just treated rudely because I was a motorcycle rider, I would definitely stay out of there.  I like watching the old time westerns, I dont want to live in one.  lol

Just wondering if MB harrassed anyone on a bike for just riding a bike, or if their attitude is merely against the rallies and large bike groups in general.  If they generally dont like people on bikes, then I will stay the hell away.  But, if I can ride thru, or even stop for a bit without getting harassed, I will do so.  I dont hold a grudge.

menace

blk-betty

Dennis

I'd bet you could ride thorugh without the any fear of being hassled for one second.  Highway 17 that runs from south FL up to the Northeast runs right through MB, cars, trucks bikes and everything else go by there evey day with no problem.  It's the rallys and congregations that they are trying to prevent, not bike riders.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

eojav

I'm still going.  I plan on spending more time out of town anyways, such as Darlington for the race, and Charleston.

Dennis The Menace

Mark, that was kinda what I figured.  Good to know some form of southern hospitality is still alive down there towards bike riders.

My pals in Milwaukee and I are trying to figure out where to go this summer.  An east coast tour would be fun, as long as we do it before too much heat/humidity sets in, and the touristy crowds get out of hand.  lol

Thanks for the input!

menace

buzzurd

I'm only 4 hours from MB.I enjoyed the spring rally up until about 98.Then the law presense was so great you couldn't turn your head without seeing a cop.Took a break for a few years and was finally coaxed into the fall rally.The fall rally was much more laid back and police presence wasn't half as bad.Last fall we stayed in North Myrtle and avoided the city limits altogether, but just knowing your somewhere your not welcome and having to worry if you were in the city limits just wasn't the same.Me and the other half decided that this was the end,next year it's the Great Smokie Mountains where we always have a great time and are welcomed every where.
Buzzurd

Bakon

The rally will continue. The site linked is the one trying to shut it down. Trying.

It will continue south and north of town, where it has been for years. The town itself has only provided hotels, restaurants, a few cool bars and one parts place. The vendors moved years ago. All these rules have done is concentrated the bikers thinking into spending the money outside town limits.

See the link for more information
http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/
wasting time

Bulit

Actually, I would like to see the rally continue with the same amount of bikers. Although, all the bikers should stay out of every establishment (Hotels, rest., gas stations, food markets, etc.) in the City of MB. If this happens, they will lose a boatload of money. Non-riders, such as families, golfers, tourists will not go to MB knowing that a bike raly is still going on. The City will hopefully be empty.

1JITSU1

Bulit   You are right and the best lessen would be for no Harley owner to spend
a dime in that town  I dont know anything about black bike week but I thing that is
the real problamo   I also think it was NOT one man that made this decision
That why I think on one should go "I dont like going were im not wanted"
What do you think

Skip1Dale

I remember when the Mayor of York,Pa. tried to put a stop to the NSRA Street Rod Nationals that is held in June every year,this got the business people in an uproar. With the threat of him and members of his council losing their jobs they CHANGED their minds fast . Still going strong in York !
They welcome the Street rodders with open arms !

1JITSU1

Skip1Dale That what should happen here  It dont sound like the business people are complaning
I think this is what they want

Bulit

Well, if the business owners are with this, how fast will they change their minds when they see 200K+ bikers passing MB on the by-pass and their city is empty.
Hit the city in the wallet and patronize the other towns in Horry County. Let's see how MB turns this around and blames the bikers for preventing families from coming to their great city.

Bakon

Was down there in the fall. The business owners are not for this. They are fighting council with lawsuits. Selling T shirts against the idea and handind out maps showing the borders of the city limits. They organized rides circling the town.
wasting time

1JITSU1

SHOStreetglide & Bulit Thats good news But if you pass through town
                             I bet there will be hell to pay with the local cops
                               :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel: :duel:

Big Dan

The big rallies are all a big pain in the arse. Give me a good old fashioned "OFOPOS National" gathering anytime. Good friends, good rides, good times, no hassles.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

1JITSU1

Panzer

Like I said gentlemen, the business owners are not at fault, don't put them down.
I was treated well at all hotels, shops, bars and eatery's.
A shame the business' will suffer, for some ignorant idiots.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Big Dan

Jitsu,
As far as I know, everyone is welcome. I've made a lot of great friends over the years.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

1JITSU1

Big Dan  Yea I herd of them on the old site but I dont know anybody
              or were to go Im sure they are great bunch of people Big Dan
                if you know them