May 09, 2024, 09:27:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lazy Cylinder

Started by cyclobutch, October 14, 2011, 03:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyclobutch

Yeah - finding that on start up this last few weeks one of the pots has taken a little time to chime in. This is under choke (enricher?) and I think is all OK as things warm and I'm under way. Ordinarily I'd be pulling the carb on that side for a clean, but I guess in this instance it can't be that.

We're talking the '89 1200 here as usual. I've still got less that 18k miles showing so I'm not expecting it to be compression issues ... yet. The plugs are probably only 2k old.

Thoughts?
B
'88 XLH1200

massheadcase1

I'm thinkin' intake seal

andyxlh

yes I'm with the intake rubbers  - they go hard and leak air - hard startup and then runs lean as the gap gets bigger. You did have the head off one of the cylnders - was it this one, and if so did you put in a new seal or reuse the old one? I find putting them in with a little dishwashing detergent lets them slip in easy and gives a good seal.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Sixspeed

Pull the plugs for a look see. If they seem OK, swap holes when screwing em back in.
"The HAPPIEST people just make the Best of Everything"

cyclobutch

Hmmmmm. We've discussed manifold leaks on this bike before. I'll be spending some time with the bike on the ramp this Winter whilst I'm remodelling the back end. Probably best I pull the carb and attachments and go through all of that at the same time. I'll swap the plugs in the interim.
B
'88 XLH1200