May 09, 2024, 06:34:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What is Harley trying to start here?

Started by truck, October 27, 2011, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Gunney8

wholehog

harley54

Whats the problem ?? Just a short clip featuring some black riders on their
scoots. Black family clubs have a long tradition in this country. I think its great
everyone gets to see what everyone else is riding.
They are a segment of the market that HD is addressing.
Cool bikes.

exfed12825

I tried to sign in to share my custom and the site wouldn't let me on using my Harley sign in sig  :wtf:
Motorcycle...Motorcycle...Motorcycle...
                  Crap still here

flhman

Cool bikes definately, they aint starting nothing. flhman :smiled:

chopper

'What is Harley trying to start here?"

Short answer?  $$$

Let's face it, HD has played to their anglo riders for years. They play to us about our "image" Bikers, proud and free.  Rebels, dancing to our own tune. Image, pure and simple!
Which is exactly why they sell so damn many Tshirts, etc....

In years past, I didn't see too many Blacks on Harleys; some on Wings. Lately a lot on crotch rockets. If HD can "sell that image" another ethnic group, they can tap into the cash flow.
So why not? It's good marketing.  Next will be the ads aimed toward Hispanics.

Great, the more riders out there, the better for ALL of us. I couldn't care less about a rider's color, religion, social status, or anything else.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Dennis The Menace

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Community/community.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

Its not just black riders.  Women.  Hispanics. Military. 

But, if you care that much about it, you ride the wrong bike.  Its about riders, not who you are or think you are.  Its good, IMO.  The more on a Harley, the better.

harley54

I dont think anyone gives a rats ass what HD puts out on their ads.

texaskatfish

All except for the 'beach bars' I LIKE that purple ride!

(just goes to show there are "brand name snobs" <<< my term everywhere)

I see it this way: "If a June bug whacks you in the forehead at 80mph - it does not CARE what bike you are sitting on.................and the pavement peels off the same amount of skin no matter WHICH bike you just fell off of"

I like most ALL 2-wheeled vehicles!
Colliin Raye: That's My Story (video)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

IndyHarley

just the simple business of broadening the customer base and in this case by showing you don't have to be a white 1% to own a HD. LOL
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

Ultrashovel

In the 1950's there were several Black Motorcycle Clubs in Chicago. They were very active and would have turkey runs and field meets quite frequently. They were all law-abiding and very friendly to all riders. Many of them were WWII veterans who liked motorcycles.

I don't know anything about the modern groups. I will hasten to add, however, that blacks have traditionally been under-represented in the motorcycle community, including touring and racing. I don't know why this would be. Apparently HD is attempting to highlight this issue.

harborjohn

We have a lot of Black Clubs here in So Cal. The brothers have some cool High-HP bikes. Nothing like seeing a group of Baggers riding wheelies down PCH.

harleytuner

I agree, we have a few black riders from Toledo that have us do all the work on their rides for them.  there money is just as green as anyone elses.  And mostof them go all out on their rides.  Here's one that belongs to a really good customer.  This is his third paint job and third set of wheels that we did on it last winter.  bike is an '07.  It has a pretty healthy 113" making in the mid 130's for HP and TRQ.  He called a couple weeks ago and gave us the ok to rake the frame and put a 26" wheel on the front.  Cool with us.  Might not be my style, but I can respect his.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

trex

So what's the problem? I like it that fellow Americans are riding HD. In the past though there were a lot of HD riding Blacks over the years, it seemed a majority were on Jap bikes and that seems to be changing big time and I like it.

truck

I was thinking this might might divide us riders into separate groups and that wouldn't be good. We're all in this together and I'd like it stay that way.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

turboprop

Toby and his East Bay Dragons MC are some pretty cool guys. They have been an all-harley, all-black club since the 60s. Have partied with them many times in Oakland and Frisco. It is about time harley respected the black market. Shame on them for taking so long.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

chopper

harleytuner

Hey, you in Toledo?  I live just north of Metamora into Michigan

turboprop

Man, I grew up in Metamora. Used to love eating at the White Horse and listening to Sneaky Pete.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

harleytuner

Quote from: chopper on October 27, 2011, 05:24:21 PM
harleytuner

Hey, you in Toledo?  I live just north of Metamora into Michigan

I'm East of Toledo, or shop is in Monroeville just South of Sandusky (Cedar Point).  We're about a 45 minute drive from Toledo.  If you ever get up our way you should stop in, we have a mini museum set up in our showroom.  Our shops founder set a land speed record at Bonneville for HD in '65 (176.817 MPH on a 250cc Sprint streamliner).  We have the bike up front as well as some of the flat track bikes my boss and his brother ran.  Google Geo Roeder and Will Roeder if you are interested.

CndUltra88

So, if where women in bikinis would we even be talking about this ???
I dont care what colour your skin is or your bike is as long as you dont tell me
you or it is better than I.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

PoorUB

Maybe I missed something, but it seemed like a bunch of guys enjoying their bikes. If you did not watch the screen it could have been darned near anyone, or any color, talking.
Like another post said, HD is just reching out to everyone, trying to build the market, just showing you don't have to be a bald headed white guy to enjoy the ride.

On the other hand, I think I saw this dude riding!!

Harley Crash
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

exfed12825

Motorcycle...Motorcycle...Motorcycle...
                  Crap still here

harleyjt

:wtf:

What a pos ad.  I feel discriminated against..... 
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

chopper

Listen closely. Starting at 27 seconds, you can here the laughter!

Tre_11 FLHX

I beleive it's a great marketing add.  I'm certainly not white (Dad from Mexico and Mother From Dublin Ireland), not that it matters.  After 30 years associated with US Army, the only color I see is Green. 

My only wonder is, what took them so long and why target just Black riders.  I know thousands of Mexican American riders also.

JMHO,
Tre'
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

98roadking

Quote from: texaskatfish on October 27, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

All except for the 'beach bars' I LIKE that purple ride!

Funny, I like the purple bike except for the purple. I also like the black springer.
There are lots af black Harley riders in this area.

hd06myway

I don't feel strongly about it either way I guess... it's a marketing strategy, I guess no different then when HD ran that add back in the early 90's aimed at the hardcore pre-Evo riders like myself, who spent half our time working on and dismantling our rides because our bikes were breaking down, and we wouldn't be caught dead riding foreign iron.. call us stupid, pig headed or blindly American, it was more HDs look and sound like unworldly beasts and I'm not ridin' a queer metric bike made to meet nice people on...  :doh:  The add I'm referring to was the "Would You Sell An Unreliable Motorcycle To The Guys" advert.  Well, for a big portion of the Shovel era they did..  :emoGroan:

Ultrashovel

Harley needs some help in advertising. While I think that it's fine to highlight the black motorcycle clubs, I recall when the Bad Boy Softail came out, they had a picture of one parked in front of a prison and pointed out the image that the bike projected. WTF is that all about?

I like bikes, but I don't want to go to prison to improve my image.   :wtf:

glens

I guess I need to watch it again, but I didn't take it so much as advertising as show us what you're doing with our product.  There's a disclaimer at the start that H-D doesn't endorse all aspects of what's to follow.  I've never seen any sort of recent advertising from them where the riders weren't wearing at least helmets.

hd06myway

Quote from: Ultrashovel on October 28, 2011, 12:53:23 PM
Harley needs some help in advertising. While I think that it's fine to highlight the black motorcycle clubs, I recall when the Bad Boy Softail came out, they had a picture of one parked in front of a prison and pointed out the image that the bike projected. WTF is that all about?

I like bikes, but I don't want to go to prison to improve my image.   :wtf:

I actually liked that ad.  I didn't see it as glorifying prisoners, just a play on the bike's model name.  To a lesser degree, Dodge's Caliber ad depicting it as a juvinile delinquent was in the same vien I thought.

dunbarton

HD's getting desperate to replace all the OF's abandoning riding and buying bikes and accessories. Standard operating procedure for marketing is to identify your target market and tailor your advertising so they identify with it. No more, no less.
It would be more subtle if they showed inter-racial groups in their advertisements but probably wouldn't get them the short-term results they want and need.

westbrs

Where is the ad celebrating white riders?

hogwilde1

I see nothing wrong with the add, I thought we were all brothers?

glens

October 30, 2011, 10:17:59 AM #34 Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:20:13 AM by glens
I watched it again, as well the one about the East Bay Dragons.

They are not advertisements and I think they're cool.  Get your own homeboys together, get your story to H-D, and if they think your story is interesting enough they'll send the film crew over.  That's what I get out of the whole "campaign".

I did notice a few non-H-Ds in that first one, by the way.

seattledyna

Quote from: westbrs on October 30, 2011, 09:05:57 AM
Where is the ad celebrating white riders?

That would be about every HD ad for the last 100 years

justplainjim

I see nothing wrong with the add, I thought we were all brothers?

OH Please!!!

hd06myway

Quote from: glens on October 30, 2011, 10:17:59 AM
I watched it again, as well the one about the East Bay Dragons.

They are not advertisements and I think they're cool.  Get your own homeboys together, get your story to H-D, and if they think your story is interesting enough they'll send the film crew over.  That's what I get out of the whole "campaign".

I did notice a few non-H-Ds in that first one, by the way.

You got it right bro...  :agree:

Gunney8

What I meant by "I'm speechless" was that I would think showing a mixed ethic group of riders would have been better than to further polorize our group.... why all black, or all white. I still am speechless...

IndyHarley

Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Gunney8 on October 31, 2011, 01:13:00 AM
What I meant by "I'm speechless" was that I would think showing a mixed ethic group of riders would have been better than to further polorize our group.... why all black, or all white. I still am speechless...

There is nothing new about companies pitching their ads towards specific groups. For example, in South Central L.A., most of the bill boards are done in Spanish. One good reason for this is that most of the inhabitants in that area are Spanish speaking. No one seems to complain about that.

Another example is Los Angeles Magazine. All of the ads are pitched to rich folks. I'm talking diamond bracelets, clothing, restaurants, wristwathes. There are no ads for homeless soup kitchens or how to survive liiving under a freeway underpass. Isn't that discrmiinatory?

My take on it is that Harley is looking to increase their business in certain interest groups. What a surprise. Duh.  :wtf: