September 20, 2024, 08:28:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ah $h%t Not another oil thread !

Started by YFOPOS1, October 31, 2011, 07:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YFOPOS1

OK here goes lol  :embarrassed:
Did Redline reformulate the Heavy Shock Proof again or?? 
About a year and a half ago I changed the tranny fluid  , when I poured the Heavy Shock Proof in it, it was a little lighter on the pink side then what I remembered from the last time I had changed it.
After the fluid change it even clanked  going into gear more than with what I drained out.(old stuff was better).

Speed up now approx 5k miles later, so today I changed the fluid out , popped open the new bottle of HSP  started to pour it in and now its a brighter red in color. Didn't get a chance to go for a putt to see if any difference.
BUT  I sure do remember the first time I dumped out the Harley oil and put the HSP in, it was night and day difference !

I still had the old bottle from the last oil change , so I poured some out and did the same with the new bottle side by side, big difference in the color. (Both bottles look the same, word for word on each bottle)

Don't know if we have  :horse: this to death or not ? but I had a hard time finding the HSP  MTL  and nobody had the 20/50 motorcycle oil in stock , but three different shops had Amsoil in stock and was really trying to push it on me, one even said one of his customers was complaining about his tranny  shifting noisy (clanking into gear I guess is how to best describe it) ? with the HSP  and they changed that out with the Amoil fluid and the guy was happy ??

I'll see how it shifts with the fresh HSP in it and if it still shifts like before I may hit the guy up at the one shop and try the Amsoil ?? :nix:   

hd06myway

November 01, 2011, 05:57:24 AM #1 Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:09:35 AM by hd06myway
Don't know if we have  :horse:  this to death or not ? The answer is YES, YES, YES, YES, YYYYYEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Now trans fluid is different... but my take on that is any known brand will do, question I have is why do we change our trans fluid so frequently compared to autos(?), where the general consensus is to NOT change it, just add to it if necessary.. in cars/trucks.

As for crank case motor oils....
COOSE YOUR FAVORITE COLORED OIL BOTTLE LABEL AND BY IT, WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU USE... ANYMORE THEN WHAT CERIAL YOU LIKE FOR BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!  :banghead: 
:wink:

"Motor oil's motor oil.." 

Road Pirate

myway,

"Motor oil's motor oil.."  I had to ask, is that quote from an old mobil oil commercial from the 70's? Sorry didnt mean to get off topic.

hd06myway

Quote from: Road Pirate on November 01, 2011, 06:55:27 AM
myway,

"Motor oil's motor oil.."  I had to ask, is that quote from an old mobil oil commercial from the 70's? Sorry didnt mean to get off topic.

It's definitly a quote from an old oil commercial, but I didn't think it was that long ago, in the 70's... maybe late 80's?  The way time seems to fly anymore, it could be that old ...  :smilep:

76shuvlinoff

YFOPOS1

I noticed a change in the color of the last shockproof I bought too, not sure it means anything and I've noticed no difference since using it in my TC 6 speed or shovel 5 inna 4 tranny.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbabos

They ran out of food colouring that day.
Ron

Ultrashovel

YFOPOS1

The reason why I brought this back up was I tried to search , but couldn't find what I thought I had read about Redline had reformulated the Heavy Shock Proof and people were saying it wasn't as good as it was ?
This would have been few years back ? But Like I said I couldn't find it? Must have been on another forum !

Ultrashovel

November 02, 2011, 09:19:20 AM #8 Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:42:31 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: YFOPOS1 on November 02, 2011, 08:49:17 AM
The reason why I brought this back up was I tried to search , but couldn't find what I thought I had read about Redline had reformulated the Heavy Shock Proof and people were saying it wasn't as good as it was ?
This would have been few years back ? But Like I said I couldn't find it? Must have been on another forum !

I got some from the Harley dealer recently when I changed my Dyna Transmission oil. It was a deep red.....I haven't seen a change. It's still a very good choice. I like it because since it's a bit thicker, I can pull in the clutch when first getting ready to go. If I count to ten, the clutch will free and the transmission stops and there is no clunk going into low gear.

I think that a little extra viscosity in the transmission is a good thing without regard to brand or type of oil.. Just my lowly opinion, however.

For the record, in all of my years riding a Harley, I've yet to damage a transmission. Don't know why, just lucky I guess.  :nix:

YFOPOS1

Thanks for some of the replies lol
But like I said before the very first time I changed out the Harley  oil and went with the Heavy Shock Proof it was night and day difference in shifting quite and solid not  the CLANK metal to metal feeling.
The next time I changed the oil the shifting felt the same, then the next time was when I noticed the oil wasn't the same color (no dye that day when they ran the line ? lol) after abit the bike just seemed to do the clank into gear, BUT not as bad as with the Harley oil.
I remember reading somewhere somebody was saying the same thing as I experienced. And Redline had reformulated the Heavy Shook Proof removing something?? and it wasn't the same

Now this time around the oil looked lighter in color, not the pepto bismol color, but more like the fake blood you see in those 'B' rated movies  lol. light red

So I won't  :horse: this anymore  I'll just go read other posts and put the  :horse: on other posts like which cam to use or which seat is more comfortable or does the wind really matter with solid rims    :wink: till  Coyote or 76shuvlioff gives me a time out ... :teeth:

hd06myway

Quote from: YFOPOS1 on November 02, 2011, 03:28:26 PM
Thanks for some of the replies lol
But like I said before the very first time I changed out the Harley  oil and went with the Heavy Shock Proof it was night and day difference in shifting quite and solid not  the CLANK metal to metal feeling.
The next time I changed the oil the shifting felt the same, then the next time was when I noticed the oil wasn't the same color (no dye that day when they ran the line ? lol) after abit the bike just seemed to do the clank into gear, BUT not as bad as with the Harley oil.
I remember reading somewhere somebody was saying the same thing as I experienced. And Redline had reformulated the Heavy Shook Proof removing something?? and it wasn't the same

Now this time around the oil looked lighter in color, not the pepto bismol color, but more like the fake blood you see in those 'B' rated movies  lol. light red

So I won't  :horse: this anymore  I'll just go read other posts and put the  :horse: on other posts like which cam to use or which seat is more comfortable or does the wind really matter with solid rims    :wink: till  Coyote or 76shuvlioff gives me a time out ... :teeth:

Don't worry YFO.. it won't be the last, at least it's a reason for some of us to bring out our old tired oil jokes... and we get to see that ostrich pic....  :wink:

YFOPOS1

I like the ostrich pic   :up:

But to answer your question on why do we change the trany fluid so often  :rtfb:    :teeth:

At least my 02 Manual reads ( R ) at every 5000 miles.

You shouldn't ever have to 'add' fluid to the trany except for two reasons
1.You didn't fill it to the proper level in the first place.
OR
2. It leaks...