September 20, 2024, 10:36:16 PM

News:

electronic compression release

Started by skulledtriker, November 03, 2011, 07:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skulledtriker

Hello, I am running an S&S 113 super sidewinder which was equipped with electronic compression release (S&S #90-4915). Apparently, the bolt has come out of the front cylinder head (not sure how) and I am getting a popping noise. Can this cause any damage, and is there a way to get replacement parts or do I have to replace the compression release kit? The rear cylender head seems to be intact except that I do not see the protective silicone cap as shown in the paperwork. Is this a problem as well?

bladerunner

Are you saying the compression release assembly is loose ? or a head bolt ?  The release  takes a special tool to remove or tighten . Either way I would not run either one loose .   The rubber cap  keeps water and crap out of the top of the release ,   you should get one on there . I belive that parts are avalable....bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

skulledtriker

It's the compression release bolt. If you look down the hole on the cover you should see the bolt, (as I do on the back) but the front is missing now, I can feel a air blast coming from the hole and if I stick my finger in the hole the "popping" noise stops. Still trying to find replacement parts but not having much luck....plenty of availability of new kits but not sure I need the whole kit.  I have less than 2000 miles on the bike and this has already failed though I'm not sure if it is related to improper installation or not (did not do the work myself)

bladerunner

What you call the "bolt "  is the compression release assembly . That `s a pretty big piece to be  missing    :scratch:   it has a wiring harness and connector  usually  tie wraped on to the bike. What bike is this on ?   I can`t imagine the thing unscrewed  itself   ...you need to inspect the threads . I have been running a set  since 2004 ...never heard of them just coming out.  Get on the S&S website  they have parts  for some of thesethings  listed  or call them ... or better yet  have the engine builder straighten this out for you...hope this helps ...........bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

skulledtriker

Never heard of this happening either. I've been to the S&S site but they have no parts available, just complete kits. I can look into the head cover and see part of the assembly with the wire still attached but haven't had a chance to pull the cover yet. As far as the builder, well he is off the grid. I am in NY (upstate) and he was from WV. The bike is a custom chopper, softail frame with a Santiago chopper rear end. S&S tech suggested installing a new kit, but I am seriously considering eliminating it completely and installing the S&S compression plugs again.
Thanks for your input Bladerunner, and if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them...........skulledtriker