May 08, 2024, 02:09:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Vtune pausing while riding!? Other quirks...WT Heck am I doing wrong?

Started by Gadgetech, December 23, 2011, 02:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadgetech

I was excited and all set to do a vtune run today since I got all the tools necessary to have a remote display on my iPhone.  I get the vtune started and start rolling down the road  :scoot:.  I'm thinking how awesome this is b/c I see exactly which cell is getting the data and before I've gone 1 mile...the recording pauses.  Nothing has changed, it just pauses... :emoGroan: So I stop and tap the phone b/c that always works...kinda like clicking another time on your computer expecting a different result.  Anyway...a few seconds later, the numbers start moving again and I start rolling.  Before a few more 10ths of a mile...IT DOES IT AGAIN.  So I ride around with this going on for probably 40 minutes or so and from what I can tell, every couple hundred data points it would stop recording.  I noticed that the data recording stopped at 5100, 5500, 5900. 6100 and 6500.  I don't recall the data recording points before that b/c I didn't see the correlation until later in my riding.  So I need some advice on how to deal with this issue.

Also, in using the iPhone, the screen is constantly changing orientation which I'm guessing is due to my accelerating and decelerating but if someone that uses their phone could confirm that.  The annoying thing about the screen changing orientation is that the it zooms all the way back out...which I can still see what's going on...just not as well.

Needless to say there was a lot of this,  :gob:, this  :doh:, this,  :wtf: and this,  :emoGroan: going on.

yositime

A loose USB connection at the laptop sometimes cases things to pause or crash. Try shimming it with a bit of paper.

Isn't there a way to lock the iPhone screen orientation? There is a little switch on the iPad.

Gadgetech

Quote from: yositime on December 23, 2011, 02:27:50 PM
A loose USB connection at the laptop sometimes cases things to pause or crash. Try shimming it with a bit of paper.

Isn't there a way to lock the iPhone screen orientation? There is a little switch on the iPad.

I have the USB port taped in and it doesn't move.  I hope their is a lock for the orientation...I just haven't looked for it yet.

WVULTRA

Make sure the laptop is padded from vibration/shock while riding.  Some laptop hard drives won't take much in the way of vibration.

Duct Tape any/all connections at the laptop and iphone.

Make sure the laptop is not going into hibernate/sleep mode. (always on)

Rotation/Orientation should easily be disabled in the IPhone settings.

:up:

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Gadgetech

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I should provide you with a little more detail.  My iPhone is mounted in a cradle on my dash and I'm connecting to the laptop via an ad hoc network.  The laptop is in a backpack b/c the one time I tried to put it in a saddle bag...it shut down...ha..

WVULTRA

Quote from: Gadgetech on December 23, 2011, 07:11:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I should provide you with a little more detail.  My iPhone is mounted in a cradle on my dash and I'm connecting to the laptop via an ad hoc network.  The laptop is in a backpack b/c the one time I tried to put it in a saddle bag...it shut down...ha..

That being said, I think you need to isolate/insulate the laptop to a better location.  Maybe the passenger area of your seat?

:idea:

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Gadgetech

Quote from: WVULTRA on December 23, 2011, 07:44:43 PM
That being said, I think you need to isolate/insulate the laptop to a better location.  Maybe the passenger area of your seat?

:idea:

It's in a backback on my back so I'm not sure that putting it on the passenger seat would provide better isolation.  I really don't think this is an issue w/ laptop placement b/c the recording paused only when the data points were a number with '00' for the last two digits.  It's not like it was data recording 5172...it was always XX00 data points when it paused.  I guess I'll try a different RDP to see if that fixes the issue and also try and lock the screen orientation.

Hogflash

Datamaster writes to disk every 100 frames, so it sounds like the disk write is what is coincident with the problem.  May have something to do with the orientation of the laptop causing the disk to not respond or be shut down.  If so equipped, try lowering the disk shock protection sensitivity (not all laptops have this option though).

--Gary

Gadgetech

Quote from: Rufus on December 24, 2011, 06:49:19 AM
Datamaster writes to disk every 100 frames, so it sounds like the disk write is what is coincident with the problem.  May have something to do with the orientation of the laptop causing the disk to not respond or be shut down.  If so equipped, try lowering the disk shock protection sensitivity (not all laptops have this option though).

--Gary

I haven't found that option on my laptop but I did find a setting for minimum processor state and it was set to 5%.  I wonder if when the program starts writing, it has to spool the processor up to help.  Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if this makes a difference.

Jeffd

try doing a vtune with using your iphone as a monitor and see if it is still locking up. At least you would know if it is related to your phone.  You can still get some pretty good data without the monitor especially after you have used a monitor because you get an idea where you need to run.

wurk_truk

I posted in HDF....

Does it do this on a v-tune run when NONE of the iphone crap is hooked up? Proper troubleshooting technique is to cut the problem in halves... over and over. So, lets see if it is the ad hoc to the iphone or is it on the pc side of things. The ad hocs have a few issues and is why I hard wire a monitor from the laptop. Try a long run with nothing but the pc running in your backpack. Still getting these anomalies? Are you running serial connector or a USB conversion? We have found that only the authorized TTS converter and the Belkin 409 works well, others drop packets. Are you running Win7 64bit? Serial converters do not work well in 64bit.

look here... http://www.clearchain.com/blog/posts/how-to-use-a-belkin-f5u409f5u409-cu-usb-to-pda-serial-converter-in-visawindows-7-64bit-mac-osx-10

for the 64 bit fix.

I agree with the disk protection idea, too.

glens

Quote from: Gadgetech on December 24, 2011, 06:59:57 AM
Quote from: Rufus on December 24, 2011, 06:49:19 AM

--Gary

I haven't found that option on my laptop but I did find a setting for minimum processor state and it was set to 5%.  I wonder if when the program starts writing, it has to spool the processor up to help.  Thanks for the info, I'll have to see if this makes a difference.

Try a less aggressive (or disable it entirely) sleep time for the hard drive.  If you're carrying the computer in a knapsack (I take "backpack" to have a frame) try to keep as consistent position as possible.  The spinning platters in the drive don't much care for rapid orientation changes.

Gadgetech

Truk, I'm going to analyze my past data to check for anomalies. I have often felt that enough data points were not being collected for the amount of time riding. I am using a 64 bit vs of windows. I'll check the link you provided when I'm back in front of a computer.  Also, I'm using the USB connector that I bought from TTS.

Gadgetech

After looking over past recordings when I wasn't using a remote monitor it was still pausing every couple hundred data points on XX00.  Given that it's always on a XX00 data point number, but not every XX00, I don't think it's a disk orientation problem and since it's in my knapsack, it's not shifting about much because there isn't room for it to do so.  Any ideas on other settings that I might need to change or could it be some other problem I'm not aware of?  I've adjusted all the power settings to maximum/no sleep, hibernate, shutdown/ etc.  I don't have the budget to buy another laptop for data collection purposes.

yositime

Not Much help but the only time I've noticed a pause (or stall) is when the USB connection was loose (plug/socket at laptop).  Some rambling thoughts:

If the laptop is buried in a knapsack, perhaps its overheating and shutting down or operating in low speed mode?

I replaced my hard drive with a SSD, no worries about vibration, orientation, whatever. They have come down quite a bit in price.

I use 64 bit windows 7 with 4GB of RAM, intel U7300 in an Acer 1810T.  I stow it in a tail pack but with some ventilation.

I think someone said DM writes to disk about every 100 records, so if its a disk write issue, you would probably observe it as a stall on some multiple of 100 data points. If you have a USB memory stick or portable drive handy, perhaps set DM to record to it instead of the internal drive.  The USB sticks are less than $20 currently I think.

Can you watch video for some time without stalls?  Perhaps google windows 7 stalls.

Perhaps run a disk diagnostic utility.

Gadgetech

Update:  I used the SD slot on my laptop with an 8GB card and it records very well.  Very little pausing and gathers many more data points than it did on the actual Hard drive.  Hope this helps anyone else that runs into a similar issue.

rbabos

Quote from: Gadgetech on December 23, 2011, 07:11:53 PM
I got one of them old Dells that have the serial port. You could likely drag this thing behind the bike and it would still function. :hyst:
Ron