May 09, 2024, 01:34:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

lowerinbg rear 1 inch

Started by messed up, November 29, 2011, 01:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

messed up

Do those brackets to drop shock back work? Trying to get the old lady set up

andyxlh

they do, but if your bike has a few miles on it and has the OEM shocks on it I'd probably consider going for an aftermarket set of hugger 11.75" shocks (assuming your bike is running stock shocks). these are advertised on ebay and other places for about $80usd a pair, about the same as the lowering kits, will have all new internals and are probably the same quality as the ones that came with the bike. I ran a set of these for a while and found them firm, but otherwise good. If you have good shocks (progressive/olins etc) i'd probably go the lowering blocks.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

cyclobutch

Currently remodelling the back end of my '89. I'll be putting new shox in at the same time - the OEs though low mileage are horribly under damped it seems. Thought about lowering things back there at the same time, trouble is I'm already dragging the undercarriage through the curves as it is. Reckon I'm going to be sticking with stock length.
B
'88 XLH1200

andyxlh

December 01, 2011, 02:33:13 PM #3 Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:33:11 PM by andyxlh
I'm with you with underdamped - they give a squishy ride! the aftermarket cheapo shorter shocks are stiffer and really help with this. The ride is harsher, but the high speed handling more precise. I have the shorter shocks on my bike (11.75"), and find that if i'm riding it hard the footpegs on my forward sets still grind out first, and if i'm going really hard the rh rear pipe scrapes, LH the kickstand. As only the back is lowered, the footpeg position has not really changed very much as they are forward controls, nearer the front wheel. The only difference I have noticed since going with the lower rear is the RH pipe scrape, but I do have turnout exhausts and the bike has got to be a long way over to scrape them (lifting foot off of RH peg as it has started to fold up by then) and I didn't have that exhaust fitted with the longer shocks.
the frame scrape on the LH side might be the kickstand - the springs go slack and then they hang down a bit and need to be replaced every few years. the frame is very narrow - you would really have to be 'knees out' to hit the floor with much else, but then you do ride those crazy sports bikes...
If you wanted to try the shorter shocks they are cheap - check out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGGER-SHOCKS-LOWERING-11-75-HARLEY-SPORTSTER-1200-86-/260897306294?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbeb0f6b6
They look similar to the ones you have but should be a lot firmer (mine are) and don't have the rebound issues, if you don't mind the firmer ride they will help the handling. Another thing they do is change the look and rake of the bike if you keep the stock front end length which I think looks nice too.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

messed up

thanks Andyxlh ordered a set. Looks like a better way to go.