March 29, 2024, 12:51:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Aluminum cylinders for flatheads

Started by trex, December 31, 2011, 11:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trex

Besides cost, is there a good reason no one makes aluminum cylinders for Flathead motors, Harley or Indian? Seems they would run cooler and be lighter.

Pzokes

If you want to make the mold, I will cast them.  You will still have to do the finish machining.  Yes, it would be a lot of work with a questionable/low demand.  There are reproduction items being cast up for WR's but they still race them. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Pzokes

I thought that he was talking about aluminum cylinders, not aluminum heads.  There are a few people that manufacturer aluminum heads.  There are a few people that manufacture cast iron cylinders.

ohio-rider

Oops! My mistake, I engaged my mouth before my brain again.  :embarrassed:

trex

Quote from: Pzokes on January 03, 2012, 07:03:21 AM

If you want to make the mold, I will cast them.  You will still have to do the finish machining.  Yes, it would be a lot of work with a questionable/low demand.  There are reproduction items being cast up for WR's but they still race them.
I don't need any Pzokes, just curious why they were never made. Are you saying WR racers had aluminum cyliders?

Pzokes

shuswapkev

alu cylinders???for flatheads...
the biggest problem flatheads have is controling the temperature between cylinder and exhaust valve...
your alu cylinders would be shelf ornaments before long...

vic vasalino

Has anyone checked out this site? www.knuckleheadmotoren.de
They are making a bunch of parts and include aluminum cylinders even have plans to make whole motors.It says they have bigger plans to put out complete bikes,if I read the site properly! What do you think of it?

trex

stroker800

Vision grinding and Sorenson both make aluminum cylinders for shovels....My guess for others is cost and demand...but I believe there is problems with expansion......Mike Brown us grey iron for his cyls...Axtell uses ductile iron for hi

evo cyls to reduce growth.
Dave

panic

An aluminum flathead cylinder becomes a potato chip at full operating temperature - not a straight line to be found.