Show your FXR

Started by Reddog74usa, January 18, 2009, 08:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC 92FXRS

Well, I admit...she drives beautifully.
Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Deye76

Just got this 1992, 18,450 miles. Florida salt air got to the aluminum, looks rough, going to powder coat. The wiring I've looked at so far looks surprisingly good. Inside of gas tank looks good also. Going to be a good project. Selling saddlebags replacing with clam shells.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Curious about your reasons for switching from P bags to clam shells.

The clam shells look good, I guess, but they aren't worth a dam for carrying stuff. Those p bags with the mounting brackets are known to fetch a good price.

Your probably aware, but just in case, there is somewhat of an FXR craze happening right now. These bikes and their pieces are in high demand. Anything you take off that bike is almost worth gold. I recommend not selling anything off that bike. Put it in boxes and store it away.   

That '92 is a pretty good year for the FXR. Has just about all of the latest stuff. '94 brought the newer style primary cases but not much else was changed until the cVO models.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

Always appreciate your insight Ed. Your right the clam shells are likely the worst functional bag in existence, but I have liked the looks since they were introduced (when it was unpopular to like FXR's) and need to sell some things from this bike to finance the changes I want to make.  The footboards and shift/brake controls are coming off for mid pegs and brake/ shift. I can't find any mid stuff for under $400.00, guys used to give that away.

turboprop

Those floorboard controls will also bring a few nickels. A complete set of mid controls will typically sell for abut $350. A good deal of the components are available from V-Twin and are better than oem quality. If you do get an oem set of mid controls, do yourself and your riding friends a favor and replace the shifter shaft with a new one.

Deye76

"replace the shifter shaft with a new one."

Are you referring to the shaft that goes through the inner primary?

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on August 01, 2016, 05:28:41 AM
"replace the shifter shaft with a new one."

Are you referring to the shaft that goes through the inner primary?

Yes.

Just to clarify, the piece I am referring to is a steel shaft with an arm welded to on end. It goes through the tube in the inner primary. It has a shift lever attached to one end and linkage attached to the other end. The splines on oem units are often worn out and the the weld between the shaft and the arm can often be one shift away from breaking. They typically break when the bike is several hours away from home. When it does break, and it will, harley dealerships will be of no help as they won't weld and will not have a new piece in stock. The only way to repair this is to weld the two pieces back together, and then remove the inner inner primary. Think impact wrench, big sockets, not stuff people typically carry in their tool roll. Like I said, replace it. The ones offered by V-Twin are pretty good.

mel

While getting some top end work done the shop found my shift shaft loose, splines worn down, and ready to break. Luckily I got it replaced with a heavy after market piece before being stranded out on the road somewhere. The shift shaft is a known weak point to keep an eye on.
1988 Low Rider Sport, 2001 Road King
USAF MSgt Retired 1969-1989

Reddog74usa

Kind of SINISTER LOOKIN being a Shovel n' all  :beer: :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

dablaze

Thanks guys! Yeah, I bought it for the "correctness" The PO did a good job on a full tear down, clean up and reassembly. I was happy he didn't change much.

Would love to find a cover for the crossover though, did they have them from the factory?

Long time Reddog, good to see your still here!

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

turboprop

Quote from: dablaze on August 12, 2016, 08:58:48 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah, I bought it for the "correctness" The PO did a good job on a full tear down, clean up and reassembly. I was happy he didn't change much.

Would love to find a cover for the crossover though, did they have them from the factory?

Long time Reddog, good to see your still here!

Craig

I would bet the heat shield from an Evo FXR would bolt right on or could be made to fit. An original shovel head crossover shield may be hard to find as they were only used for a couple of years.

Racepres

Crossover covers are the same
Make damn sure you are Not using that Damn Donut on the rear pipe, or that Headpipe will break...Ask me how I know...
BTW, my Pipes cam off from an FXSB...Same except the front pipe don't have that "kink" or "Step-up", in it
Replaced because the Headpipes broke at the Crossover...at about 2 years old!!!

Deye76

I see stunt riders on FXR's using bars similar, I would say plenty of control.

Racepres

Quote from: Deye76 on August 15, 2016, 05:18:29 AM
I see stunt riders on FXR's using bars similar, I would say plenty of control.

We Better tell the Flat track and Road race boys they are Screwed up!!!
I'm sure they would appreciate an edge.

1340evo

dablaze

Very sweet! Love the Akronts...never owned a set...always wanted to.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Hossamania

Keeping aluminum shiny is a commitment, for sure. Great looking bike.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Reddog74usa

A LOONG TIME AGO I found this stuff call Zoop Seal that you apply on aluminum to preserve the shine. It was supposed to last for 5 years. Never tried it so I don't know how well it works. I do know that there have been other similar products introduced since then like sharkskin etc. so I'll be looking into them as I believe the downside of using this kind of stuff dulls or clouds the shine and the newer products are supposed to be a lot better, and let the shine stay bright for a long time. They even stripped the black paint off the switch housings and polished them. I love the look and will be lookin into gettin something on the polished aluminum to save myself a lot of work.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

BKACHE

Latest version of the '82 FXRS minus the shovel engine and a 113" evo installed while the shovel bottom end is being redone.
Dan

Reddog74usa

Very nice. What pipes are they???
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Deye76

BKACHE, nice, 113"will roast that back tire without breaking a sweat.

BKACHE

Thanx - the clutch was the weak link to roast the rear tire. Now that a pro-clutch is in it, the tire has lost traction a few times.
The shovel engine is going to be going together in my basement. Prolly back in the frame in the spring. Since it is a short timer the exhaust for the engine is a $50 purchase off ebay. Off of a Fatboy. I did have to make a bracket off the trans. These pipes feel about 4 times heavier than the RBRacing LSR pipe that rides on the shovel engine.   
Dan

Hossamania

Sweet ride, by the way!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tmwmoose

Wow that sure is a looker nice work

Rhino75

October 28, 2016, 09:35:59 AM #174 Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:34:48 PM by FSG
1990 FXR

[attach=0]