May 04, 2024, 09:07:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Weld those crankshafts...

Started by tireater, January 19, 2009, 08:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bladerunner

Me  too I think it`s a dirt bike thing ...used to race enduros  ...don`t fall  ...if you fall don`t stall :teeth...get back up  ...keep digg`n....bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

Scurvy

Quote from: tireater on January 22, 2009, 03:25:42 PM
I always pull in the clutch during every stop when I downshift... panic stop or the normal kind...
I'm confused. In the original post you said you would have bent your crankshaft had it not been welded due to a panic stop. Is there something I'm missing?
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

skunk

The thing that really gets to me is during that one( ok maybe 2-3 times) a year that I HAPPEN to move the shift lever the wrong way, I end up spilling my beer all over the tank!!!!!  question is, will welding the crank help this?

Ken R

I think more about my primary during an accidental downshift than my crankshaft.  That poor tensioner must be a lot tougher than it looks, to be able to take such stress when you let out the clutch in a lower gear like that.   The crankshaft seems so robust compared to the primary tensioner.

hotham

The more I read about "twinkies" the more I'm convinced to keep my 27 year old Shovelhead FXR

tireater

Scurvy..I killed my last 2 crankshafts with hard downshifting...Not braking...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

billbuilds

What are the initial symptoms of a bent or crank? Can you tell w/o havng to go in there an check the runout?
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Jeffd

Quote from: tireater on January 23, 2009, 12:07:10 AM
Scurvy..I killed my last 2 crankshafts with hard downshifting...Not braking...
I am curios why you are down shifting so hard, are you down shifting 2 or 3 gears at a time?

tireater

On the St Bob...I was pulling 3 Ducati's up 154 when I passed a cop going the other way...I was doing over 90 in a 55...
So I sped up and found a nice private drive way to hide in a couple miles later...Stopping from 100 killed the C.S. ... downshifting...
I always ride fast and can't imagine not downshifting unless I am putting between red lights....

Jeffd

Not to be critical but try using your clutch and front brake.  Front brake will slow you down way faster than dropping down a couple of gears and dumping the clutch.

tireater

I don't drop it a couple gears and pop the clutch...I down shift and use motor braking on the back wheel...
On my last panic stop I locked up the front wheel a couple times while motorbraking...
I ride a supermoto too fast...One finger on the front brake and motorbrake with the back wheel...
You keep the rpm's up and almost use no brakes...esp. no rear brake...
We mostly ride twistys fast around here...I can't imagine doing that w/o constant up and down shifting...
Just braking while pulling in the clutch will let the motor fall out of the powerband ...
This puts you in a bad position to power out of a situation...or a turn...

blk-betty

January 23, 2009, 10:42:07 AM #36 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:43:51 AM by blk-betty
tireater

I was going to ask the same question that Jeffd asked but he got there first.  Your explanation is very clear and I find myself occasionally ridding in a similar fashion but a little less on the edge than it sounds like you ride but with all due respect......maybe you should consider another brand/style of bike for that kind of riding.  HDs just aren't made to be riddin like a supermoto without expectations of gernading once in a while.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

tireater

I ride them, break them, fix them...repeat...You don't hear me complaining...It's a hobby...not just a couple bikes...

tireater

I have been told I should switch my motors to wing nuts...as often as I have them apart.... :hyst:

blk-betty

Well Ok then, sounds like you have a good grasp of the situation.

Have fun, sure sounds like your style of riding is fun.  Lol, if I lived closer to the twisties I'd probalby be doing something similar myself.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

autoworker

Quote from: tireater on January 23, 2009, 10:56:08 AM
I have been told I should switch my motors to wing nuts...as often as I have them apart.... :hyst:

I suggest Dzus fasteners.If you waste another crank you may want to change your username to "crankeater".
BTW,I enjoy reading your posts! :up:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Dave*M

Who or where is Darkhorse as I have a crank that I need balanced,trued and welded up for a big bore kit.
Any info would be helpfull.
Thanks Dave M

Faast Ed

QuoteQuote from: tireater on Today at 12:56:08 PM
I have been told I should switch my motors to wing nuts...as often as I have them apart....

I suggest Dzus fasteners.If you waste another crank you may want to change your username to "crankeater".
BTW,I enjoy reading your posts!

Wingnuts?    Crankeater?     Now that chit is hilarious!!!   :up:
≡Faast Ed>

StrokerDave

Dave*M