May 09, 2024, 01:22:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Very Interesting, and then a resurrection, The End

Started by War Horse, February 03, 2012, 06:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

One of the sites we hit said that the Delkron case wouldnt fit the 77 FX frame ??? I've never used them before , is this because of the trap door?
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

War Horse

I guess we're going with the S&S cases, ordering from Chromeaddiction.com, they had the best price. Also going for the Kibblewhitte SS one piece nitrated valves, gonna wait to get the cases and see what all the fuss is about with the oil pump.

shovelbill

i went with the Ultima stock bore shovel cases.......because cost was a factor for me..........less than $700 to my indy.......as good or better than anything out there imo, made in USA too......takes '81+ oil pump out the box, or easily modified for earlier pump.......i just ain't that keen on the way the front motor mount looks.....has drain plug in bottom......next time i'll get STD because they look "stock".

build it, bust it.....figure out why

billbuilds

February 16, 2012, 07:23:04 AM #53 Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:31:53 AM by billbuilds
Quote from: War Horse on February 16, 2012, 04:15:56 AM
One of the sites we hit said that the Delkron case wouldnt fit the 77 FX frame ??? I've never used them before , is this because of the trap door?

I've never used Delkron cases either but the part about them not fitting in 77 FX frames doesn't sound right at all. What's so special about that particular year/model 4-speed swingarm frame?

Shovelbill, Those Ultima cases sure do look nice although I see what you mean about the front motor mounts. They do look super rugged plus won't your voltage regulator and mounting bracket block most of that area from view anyhow?    Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

shovelbill

Quote from: billbuilds on February 16, 2012, 07:23:04 AM
Quote from: War Horse on February 16, 2012, 04:15:56 AM

I've never used Delkron cases either but the part about them not fitting in 77 FX frames doesn't sound right at all. What's so special about that particular year/model 4-speed swingarm frame?

Shovelbill, Those Ultima cases sure do look nice although I see what you mean about the front motor mounts. They do look super rugged plus won't your voltage regulator and mounting bracket block most of that area from view anyhow?    Bill

Bill, they are rugged .....dowel pinned for perfect alignment of the case halves......i don't really notice it anymore, but i do like through bolts and accorn nuts that i can't have.........but the $400 or so savings made up for it  :teeth:........when i put the spin on filter up front you wont see much as you said...........dollar for the best value out there imo.............just "odd" lookin'

the biggest thing i can't stand about Delkron's case is the lip you get around the cam chest with the stock cone cover. sure the beef is there, but for a riding street bike of "normal" size and power i don't thing that is necessary as i haven't broken a set of cases yet.

fourthgear

That's an impressive looking case set . Not what I expected to see .

shovelbill

February 16, 2012, 03:31:09 PM #56 Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:44:27 PM by shovelbill
Quote from: fourthgear on February 16, 2012, 03:14:19 PM
That's an impressive looking case set . Not what I expected to see .

they make a dandy set of heads too...........these are my from my friends BB motor.

just for info......i'm NOT an Ultima salesman.........highjack off

HotRodShovel

Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

shovelbill

Deye76

My good friend had a shop during the 70's & 80's, and installed dozens of Delkron cases in shovel swing arm frames of all years. Back in those days the term "bolt on" was a joke. Everything aftermarket needed a little grind here and a little tap there. S&S, Delkron, STD all good cases. Those Ultima's look good too.

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

War Horse

OK, so we decided to rip into it and tear down the complete bike and do it up right, makes sense, its simple from here on in.

I'll post up next week with pics, gonna be with some of my "ol skool" updates......  :)

HotRodShovel

@ Bill....busy, busy, busy man. 
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

War Horse

Well its stripped down to the point where it goes back to Katalog Karl, I have a vision for this build but so does he and it is his bike.

He'll be using my sandblaster and I will outfit the frame and SW with Zerk fittings and any welding that might have to be done.

We're still waiting on the parts for the engine and I wont take the tranny apart due to lack of working space, until the eng. is done, we should be getting those parts next week some time.

Some nasty stuff....

turboprop

Looks like the frame has been setup for flat side tanks. Much better than the original solid mounts. Looks like all of the wiring needs replaced.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

War Horse

Yeah its in need of some serious TLC, we're gonna go for a ground-up build, it just didnt make sense to do a rat build at this point.

We did some discussing today and I think I got him thinking along my lines, this might turn out to be some fun yet....  :teeth:

a_disalvo

Just adding my $.02C, My 79 shovel is a S&S sidewinder, 98", run Crane 308B solid lifter cam, dual plug B.C. Gerolomy heads. 92 ft/lbs torque, 85 HP. Frank

shovelbill

Quote from: a_disalvo on February 20, 2012, 08:10:38 AM
Just adding my $.02C, My 79 shovel is a S&S sidewinder, 98", run Crane 308B solid lifter cam, dual plug B.C. Gerolomy heads. 92 ft/lbs torque, 85 HP. Frank

would you happen to have the dyno sheet for that?

War Horse

We finally got the cases and valves, etc. Work will start to move along at a good pace for now.

On a side note, the flywheels were put on a truing stand to make sure all was well and came out .000 on both shafts, once I got the thing set up and bolted together I decided to check the pinion shaft at the outer (bushing) area, like we do for TC's...... wouldn't ya know there was .004 runout...... guess I cant run gear drives.  :hyst:

I've never done this check on any Pan/Shovel and so on , I just thought this to funny, and no the shaft isn't bent.

Just checking cam clearance, wish I still had my old tool instead of the cover.

shovelbill

you have no runout at the bearing, but .004 at the bushing end?

War Horse

March 10, 2012, 06:19:48 AM #69 Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:39:40 AM by War Horse
Yep, may have been .0035 , kinda hard to tell on my dial indicator. Its not a new shaft mind you, but we did check it for straightness from the bearing surface out . Bearings are all new and clearances are fine. I know , sounds funky and I'm not gonna sweat it.

I remember truing flywheels and the further out the indicator, the more runout .

Forgot to add, the truing stand was a Rowe with the old style pointers and not dial indicators, but they were rock steady.

turboprop

Hard to beat working with new S&S engine cases. That crank runout seems odd, but your right about not worrying about it. What connecting rods are those? I hope they are not those $89 ebay specials. I broke one and bent one a couple years ago. Metallurgist said they were made out of some 3rd time recycled pot metal crap (sort of). 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

War Horse

The wheels are Ultima, so I think the rods would be also. They look like the ones they sell as an assembly. We didnt break them down as everything checked out and the previuos owner said the bottom end was new, they more than likely ordered the wheels set up already, judging from the rest of the work I seriously doubt that the previous builder had enough knowledge to set up flywheels.

Heads and rocker boxes are done and cylinders are good to go with a glaze break and new rings, thats next week.

shovelbill

i'd assemble the cam chest, put on the cam cover and turn the crank over a few times to see if the cover "wobbles" around a bit.

War Horse

Thanks Bill, there doesnt seem to be any interference, but then again its a old cover and I might do well to check the bushings in there.....  :up:

War Horse

No movement with the cover while turning engine through ( off the dowels)

Pinion clearance .0015

Cam bushing (used B ) .0018

I believe I'm good to go, though this does seem to disprove my runout finding of .0035 - .004  :scratch: