May 09, 2024, 08:26:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EVO mainshaft?

Started by flbiker61, January 20, 2012, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flbiker61

Hello all,
Does anybody have a 5 or 6 speed mainshaft(91-99)  they can measure from the clutch side threads to the end of the splines where the taper is, Mine has the splines cut a little passed the taper on my 6 speed but my HD 5 speed stops about .18+ before the taper. The clutch goes way to far in.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly, so I chained her on.

WML57

Measuring from the shoulder where the splines start to the beginning for the very small taper, my measurement is 1.844". Let me know if I understood you points of measurement correctly.

Mark.

turboprop

I just measured the shaft in my 91 FXR trans and the new Andrews shaft I have sitting in my lap. They are both 1.700' from the step to the very end (tip) of the spline cut. Will take a pic if you want. -Ed
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flbiker61

January 21, 2012, 07:01:40 AM #3 Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:13:03 AM by flbiker61
Thanks!
mine measures 1.8875 for total length of the splines, the clutch when installed hits the starter gear and the nut tightens against the shaft not the clutch hub, the splines are cut a hair passed the taper. (forgot to say my 5 speed is 1.70)

turboprop

I have a used shaft in good, usable condition that you can have if you want to change the shaft.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flbiker61

Thanks for the offer turboprop, I got a new tranny being shipped to me under warranty. I pulled the inner primary off slid the clutch back on and it goes past the taper, Slide it on the 5 speed and it stops before the taper. QC missed something here big time!

xlfan

February 08, 2012, 01:17:25 AM #6 Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 01:20:32 AM by xlfan
I do believe your clutch hub is the culprit. There should be a shoulder washer (on inner clutch hub) that bottoms at the start of splines on mainshaft.

xlfan