May 09, 2024, 03:13:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

awww crap .. pc prob's

Started by nomadbkr, January 25, 2009, 07:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

My sons PC had a similar problem a few weeks back.

You need to do the Scan and Delete in Windows Safe Mode.

Faast Ed

One of the times on my kids puter, I had to download "vundo fix" and repair in the safe mode. Same symptoms as yours, but one of the identified files had "vundo" in the name.

I was hoping that the link in 92fatty's post would be an easier fix for Nomad.
I hope he let's us know what worked for him.

Sir G, do you have a link for the "moved" Community Feedback?
There were folks over there that could have talked him thru a fix.
≡Faast Ed>

dohmixer

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on January 25, 2009, 07:40:48 AM
Nomad,

I ran into the same thing when I tried to use my photobucket account yesterday.  This stupid thing launched a window telling me I had a virus.  Everytime I killed it, it launched a new window... they even faked the microsoft logo.  Then they wanted me to install something (I have no idea what) that they called anti-spyware.  No way!  I hit ctrl-alt-del, then selected the task manager and killed all my windows internet explorer stuff that way.  I'll let photobucket clean up their crap.  I scanned my system using McAfee after this (a complete scan, not a "quick" scan).  It found nothing.

-Craig
The same thing happened to me yesterday at photobucket. I also ran a complete scan using kaspersky and was clean as a whistle. i used my laptop later at photobucket and everything seemed ok there. I've been a little leary to take this pc back to photobucket but will have to do it when I'm ready to post some pics on another forum since most of my pics are in this pc.
2000 Dyna Wide Glide     Union Baker BCTGM Local#85

FSG

Faast Ed

≡Faast Ed>

Sin

Nomad,

The symptoms you described looks to me like you have some how gotten a nasty root kit installed on your puter.
It is a good possibility that's not the only problem, as you stated your AV has already quarantined a trojan.
Here's a link to a forum where I found someone with a problem similar to yours but do not try and repair your computer following that persons instructions. Link> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21710577-HJL-Log-possible-root-kit-cry-for-help
What you need to do is follow the mandatory steps here> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup (I believe you already have or cannot run some of the software due to the infection) Then post a new thread giving all the information as requested in the mandatory steps and someone or myself will request a diagnostic log to see exactly whats going on.

Sin,

nomadbkr

...... Update .........

... ok .. I did a slightly major clean up of useless old files and then took most everyone's advise and made some changes that I'm confident has at least gotten rid of the bug and in the process found a chitload of crap pluggin things up I didn't know 'bout and/or thought was long gone ..

... had to get sneaky 'bout it, but was able to download some software with Avant browser that for some reason wouldn't download with IE 7 ..
.. lost the PCTools AntiVirus and installed Avast ..
.. lost SuperSpyware and installed Spybot-Search and Destroy ..
.. added to the mix Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ..

.. ran'em all .. took the short "fast scan" route and it still took most of the day ..
.. might do the complete scan overnight ..

.. still can't do a defrag, 'cept now it tells me to do a chkdsk /f instead of telling me it can't start ..
.. of course, there's still something running that won't let chkdsk schedule .. lol .. and System Restore is still useless, but that's part my fault for loosing all my restore points .. still won't start though ..

.. but .. I'm fairly sure that this pc is 'bout squeeky clean ..
.. not suprizingly, other than the virus that caused this mess, a lot of the spyware/adware and malware the new programs removed comes from good ol Microsoft themselves .. go figure ..

.. anyhow; my guess is that I've just got to hunt down what settings the virus changed while it was here and put them back how they need to be for things to run right ..
.. for the most part, except for a couple of glitches like tray icons hiding; it seems to be runnin ok and even seems a bit faster ..
.. 'cept it's still just a matter of time till fragments pile up to the point where it shuts this pc down for good ..

.. so the hunt to find the settings I need to put back in order is still on ..
.. mighta at least bought some time .. or maybe made a truckload more fragmented files .. LMAO ..

.. anyways .. that's as far as I got ..
.. thx for everyone's .02 ..
.. I'll update IF and when I stumble on the final fix ..
.. maybe the other forum's y'all posted might be a help ..

thx again
nomad

kik

nomadbkr,Try this Download. Make sure you follow the direction exactly. Once it's done, you should be back to normal.

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Kik

still_on2_wheels

Vundo is some bad stuff, I just battled it last weekend and now have a clean bill of PC health.

These guys rocked!!

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?    <--read around a bit to get comfortable with the site.

This is where you will start:   (as I did)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Granted, it took 6 dedicated hours, and is pretty tedious, (follow the directions to a T) but was well worth it.

Jeff

Shiney side up please.

BJaxn

I have been fighting this same issue. I've gotten rid of the popups (for now), and the computer is faster than ever, however unable to run any updates or deefrag, and am still being re-directed to misc websites. I will check out the suggestions above, and post what works for me.  Thanks!

88-fxr

Take my word for it, you'll have to save your documents that you can't live without, format the hard drive and re-load operating system & programs in order to get rid of it completely (that is unless you're a software programmer with lots of spare time & knowledge, which most of us are not).  I've been through this very same thing dozens of times with different people in the past six months and unless you've already downloaded a program that will get rid of it (malwarebytes is a good example) it will not let you download and use anything that will wipe it out even in safe mode.  If you try to clone your current hard drive onto a new computer, should you be successful, it will show up on your new computer!  It's also in the windows restore files.  Too bad we can't hang people who come up with this type of crap.
dj

92Fatty

Did you turn off the system restore? You stated it didn't have any so it will not hurt for cleaning the pc. Right click My Computer, choose Properties, Click on System Restore tab and make sure System restore is off. Then reboot in to safe mode run full scans with malwarebytes, Spy Bot Search and Destroy, superantispyware.  When you are done. Restart then choose Start, Run and type chkdsk /r to see if you get the ok then restart to get chkdsk running on reboot.

Phu Cat

Too much horsepower is almost enough.

nomadbkr

... found the fix !! ..

.. gave it it's own thread ..

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=5091.0

thx
nomad

HDRDR

I just got a pop up the other day from (windows) stating I had a problem with a virus so like a dumb a&& I tried to do the install....took 3 hours to fix the problem, because I am a dumb a&& when it comes to computers.

I finally did a restore and it save my dumb self, and all is ok! :smile: I saved a few of those links just in case for the future,  I want to thank you folks for that! :beer: