May 03, 2024, 01:28:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gasoline

Started by crazy joe, November 04, 2008, 08:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy joe

I have heard that at the end of the month that the all the states will be
using ethanol in there gas year round,   has anyone else heard this?

Skullfork

I too heard that ...btw, gas dipped to $1.99 here in eastern Ohio, and on the news they're predicting another .20 to .30 cent drop before it's all over with. But I'm wondering now that the election is over if the prices will start trending back up??

Pablo

This is true it's not bad for everyone that rides at a minimum of once every week but for anyone that owns a boat or doesn't ride in the winter and lets it sit for a month or so the gas will separate and you will have water on the the bottom ethanol in the middle and gas on the top. Easy to shake up on a bike but the gas goes bad faster with ethanol in it.

Pablo

crazy joe

I was in Ohio this summer and thought I saw it at $4.00 a gal,
$2.00 what a change. I too wouldn't be surprised if it went back up
after the election.

crazy joe

What about the way the bike runs?

Alvin

I've been running ethenol in both my bikes for a number of years now.  It's listed as 89 octane.  No problems at all with stock 88 motors.  No pinging and the bikes run very well.  I got the best gas milaged using ethenol(didn't think I would ever say that!)  Absolute best was 53.5 on my 04 FXST and 53.9 on my 02 FXST.  This was ONLY on highway running--I usually get around 47 to 49 on a normal basis.
Alvin

bouncingVman

Quote from: Pablo on November 04, 2008, 08:46:07 PM
water on the the bottom ethanol in the middle and gas on the top.

Really ?? Hard for me to believe. Never saw anything like that after using the stuff for about 25 years.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

FLH124

Used 10% Ethenol 93 octane (E85 not good) over 7 years in the HD Evo and TC products, good mileage and easy starting in Chicago weather.
sj

rky5

I tried 25 % on a couple occasions and I felt it ran good, I lost maybe 2  MPH

Diggs223

have a friend in NYC does a lot of sailing with tree hugging yuppies. ethanol reacts with the tanks on their sailboats causing leaks. bunch of unhappy yuppies, have to cut their boats apart to repair tanks. dont know what they are made of but it doesn't like the ethanol
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

PoorUB

Quote from: crazy joe on November 04, 2008, 08:16:18 PM
I have heard that at the end of the month that the all the states will be
using ethanol in there gas year round,   has anyone else heard this?

Here in farming country about all we have for gas has 10% ethanol. I run it all the time with zero problems. We have had ethanol for many years in this area. Some of the best MPG I have gotten is mid grade with ethanol. Don't worry about it!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

04glide

It's been 10% here for years. And what pisses me off is theres no reason for it. I guess the leftys think they are going to save the world with it.

Flat Dog

Ethanol is oxygenated fuel which helps with emissions. It also slightly cools combustion-helps prevent pinging.

-Lefty John :smilep:

FXDBI

Well the prices should come down oil is 1/2 the price it was this summer. Record profits for those oil company's gouging us consumers. Has for the ethanol we need to use grain to feed people not make fuel for cars.     Bob

HarleyCharley

bouncingVman

Feeding people with corn.... How much corn does the average person eat ?  The corn grown for your tortilla chips and corn flakes ain't the same kind of corn you see going into ethanol production. And we have chit loads of it. I'd rather burn the crap in my my bike than eat it.  :smilep:

Or make some bacon with it... I like bacon.  :teeth:
"Todd"

02roadcling

Bacorn, the breakfast for hogowners. One time I fed part of my ham sandwich to my brothers pig, we laffed our heads off at that cannibal.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

crazy joe

If I remember right the fields they used for "people corn" are being use for Ethanol
so now theres less fields for people corn and the price goes up on food that uses
"people corn" if I remember right.

Flat Dog

'Bacorn'...LOL

Actually, sugar cane is a much better source of sugar for ethanol.

Diggs223

pretty much all corn is people corn. some indirectly, feed corn aka bacorn and steakcorn.
corn oil sweetener, corn flour  all from "field" corn variety's then the sweetcorn directly to the table.
any other use will directly effect the table
" I can't " .... means, I don't want to.

crazy joe

Now with that all said   who else has heard   that at the end of the month
that the all the states will be using ethanol in there gas year round,   

PoorUB

Quote from: Photo John on November 08, 2008, 03:56:51 AM
Ethanol is oxygenated fuel which helps with emissions. It also slightly cools combustion-helps prevent pinging.

-Lefty John :smilep:

What nobody seems to add to the equation is how much pollution does processing ethanol from corn ADD! Don't forget that the farmer has to run a tractor around the fields a few times, truck it to the elevator, trains run it to a plant some where that probably did not exist before! As far as am I concerned the ethanol from corn for auto fuel is a loser!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

RevFastEddy

PoorUB... You are correct. Gasahol is just politically correct. The energy used to produce it equals the energy put out to make it. Like you said tractors, trucks and cookers all consume diesel. The reality is all the midwest farmers can make big bucks making corn grow and it does not have to be good looking and eatable. They get a good price and make good money doing it. Before all this the farmers were barely making ends meet. So gasahol is just a money maker for a lot of folks but that isnt my luck. I just pay for it. I guess paying farmer Joe in Iowa is better than Venezuela but farmer Joe buys from Venezuela.. Dam* something just sounds crazy about all that. Why not grow corn and export it for $$$. We are buying the same amount of oil from the Arabs. Lets make some money in this country by exporting for a change.
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

jsachs1

I might be mistaken,butttttttttt it seems that my gas cap has expanded on my FLHR and on my Buell.Must be from the new sticky fuel.
John

KingofCubes

I've got a good customer in Ames that builds alcohol plants for a big company. He said that he has built two 500 million dollar plants this year that will never go on line because on the price of corn.

FLHPI-02

Had to make a hot trip to Cincinatti Ohio on 10/30 and found myself in ethanol all over. Don't like it. I can share this the major companies have all added ethanol to thier gas. The gas sold at the Ingles supermarket as well as the gas at Speed way is still clean runs good. The law says that if the pump has ethanol in it its supposed to have a notification sign on the pump. If its not on the front, check the sides and maybe the top. I found them all over the pump. Maybe a politition who likes corn on the cob will put an end to this particular brand of B. S. Adios T.J.

bouncingVman

Quote from: crazy joe on November 09, 2008, 10:32:03 AM
If I remember right the fields they used for "people corn" are being use for Ethanol
so now theres less fields for people corn and the price goes up on food that uses
"people corn" if I remember right.

People corn is usually grown on special consignment in the midwest where the vast majority of ethanol is produced. So there really isn't any competition for the land use. Flour mills are very particular on what they use, and they don't use just any corn. It's grown on contract much of the time.

Regular field corn tends to get sold either as a feed stock for animals, which could influence the price of meat production, but not by much because we're talking pennies on the dollar per pound of meat for the cost of the corn. Corn sweetener goes into everything, but here again we are talking pennies on the dollar... or it goes to industrial use like ethanol... or exported.

One thing is right that I've seen posted here.... 7 dollar corn is hurting the ethanol industry compared to 1.30 just a few years ago. You can thank the low dollar which is making corn more attarctive for export. The next push will be for celulosic ethanol which yields about 10 times the current corn based production of ethanol. Just about any kind of plant drived material can be used, but switch grass is reported to be the best.... even better than sugar cane.

Anyway like any of this matters :smilep: I still prefer to burn the crap than eat it. :teeth:
"Todd"

bouncingVman

Crazy Joe,

Btw- there isn't any mandate going into effect in Iowa that says all gasoline has to be ethanol by the end of the month. Mandates of any kind have a bad track record in the Iowa legislature.

Don't know where you heard that rumor... but it would probably be a state mandate if it was true in your area. I'd check into what your state legislature has been up to. -BVM

"Todd"

EagleFTE

In a lot of areas in the midwest 10% has been the primary fuel for decades (some places the only fuel).  I use it in my cars, bikes, and lawnmower.  Never had a problem and obviously the bikes and mower sit for extended periods in winter.  I don't know if it is going manditory everwhere.  We went through the all the rumors and such in the 80s abut what it would do to our machines but it never amounted to anything.

mayor

My local BP told me that all the BP's across the country had to switch to 10% ethanol.  They had to get new tanks, because their old ones didn't meet the code for ethanol.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

boooby1744

Slarsonroy

Im a midwestern farmboy from Iowa and we have no shortage of ethanol here, which I fully support whenever possible. I have a stock 07 Ultra (96 ci) with Xied Nightrider O2 sensors and have tried ethanol in my bike several times. Every time, I get valve ping or predetonation.  Not once or twice, EVERY time. I have never gotten better than 40 mpg on either ethanol or premium fuel, but Im guessing its a little better on premium. I usually get around 37 mph and usually ride with my wife behind me, about 400 lbs combined. My older bikes (Moto Guzzi) cant run on ethanol unless I retard the ignition substantially where it just doesnt feel good, so I use premium. Ive tried staying in 5th gear and also using 6th gear for total interstate mileage, and after comparison, hardly any difference in gas mileage.
2012 Electraglide
1979 FXEF,1953 FLEF