May 04, 2024, 06:02:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gasoline

Started by crazy joe, November 04, 2008, 08:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLHPI-02

Had to make a hot trip to Cincinatti Ohio on 10/30 and found myself in ethanol all over. Don't like it. I can share this the major companies have all added ethanol to thier gas. The gas sold at the Ingles supermarket as well as the gas at Speed way is still clean runs good. The law says that if the pump has ethanol in it its supposed to have a notification sign on the pump. If its not on the front, check the sides and maybe the top. I found them all over the pump. Maybe a politition who likes corn on the cob will put an end to this particular brand of B. S. Adios T.J.

bouncingVman

Quote from: crazy joe on November 09, 2008, 10:32:03 AM
If I remember right the fields they used for "people corn" are being use for Ethanol
so now theres less fields for people corn and the price goes up on food that uses
"people corn" if I remember right.

People corn is usually grown on special consignment in the midwest where the vast majority of ethanol is produced. So there really isn't any competition for the land use. Flour mills are very particular on what they use, and they don't use just any corn. It's grown on contract much of the time.

Regular field corn tends to get sold either as a feed stock for animals, which could influence the price of meat production, but not by much because we're talking pennies on the dollar per pound of meat for the cost of the corn. Corn sweetener goes into everything, but here again we are talking pennies on the dollar... or it goes to industrial use like ethanol... or exported.

One thing is right that I've seen posted here.... 7 dollar corn is hurting the ethanol industry compared to 1.30 just a few years ago. You can thank the low dollar which is making corn more attarctive for export. The next push will be for celulosic ethanol which yields about 10 times the current corn based production of ethanol. Just about any kind of plant drived material can be used, but switch grass is reported to be the best.... even better than sugar cane.

Anyway like any of this matters :smilep: I still prefer to burn the crap than eat it. :teeth:
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

bouncingVman

Crazy Joe,

Btw- there isn't any mandate going into effect in Iowa that says all gasoline has to be ethanol by the end of the month. Mandates of any kind have a bad track record in the Iowa legislature.

Don't know where you heard that rumor... but it would probably be a state mandate if it was true in your area. I'd check into what your state legislature has been up to. -BVM

"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

EagleFTE

In a lot of areas in the midwest 10% has been the primary fuel for decades (some places the only fuel).  I use it in my cars, bikes, and lawnmower.  Never had a problem and obviously the bikes and mower sit for extended periods in winter.  I don't know if it is going manditory everwhere.  We went through the all the rumors and such in the 80s abut what it would do to our machines but it never amounted to anything.

mayor

My local BP told me that all the BP's across the country had to switch to 10% ethanol.  They had to get new tanks, because their old ones didn't meet the code for ethanol.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

boooby1744

Slarsonroy

Im a midwestern farmboy from Iowa and we have no shortage of ethanol here, which I fully support whenever possible. I have a stock 07 Ultra (96 ci) with Xied Nightrider O2 sensors and have tried ethanol in my bike several times. Every time, I get valve ping or predetonation.  Not once or twice, EVERY time. I have never gotten better than 40 mpg on either ethanol or premium fuel, but Im guessing its a little better on premium. I usually get around 37 mph and usually ride with my wife behind me, about 400 lbs combined. My older bikes (Moto Guzzi) cant run on ethanol unless I retard the ignition substantially where it just doesnt feel good, so I use premium. Ive tried staying in 5th gear and also using 6th gear for total interstate mileage, and after comparison, hardly any difference in gas mileage.
2012 Electraglide
1979 FXEF,1953 FLEF