May 09, 2024, 01:40:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pulling jugs without removing engine from frame...

Started by Older-twin, March 17, 2012, 07:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Older-twin

My '91 Sporty needs base gaskets and I was wondering if I have to pull the engine like the service manual says.  It looks like I might be able to get away with just pulling the heads and taking out the studs to get of the jugs off the pistons.  Can removing the jugs be done this way or does the whole engine need to be taken out of the frame?

14Frisco

You can remove the cylinders without removing the engine.  Don't need to remove the studs either - just the rocker covers, heads and then you can lift the cylinders off the studs.

andyxlh

yep that's right, no need to remove the engine. Funnily enough the three piece rocker design was apparently a last-minute change before the intro of the evo BT in the early '80's or so I have been told, without that it would have been difficult!
don't forget there's a few important things to remember with the stripdown - taking the pressure off the lifters slowly and correctly, also the same as the stud pressure is relieved too. The HD or Clymer manual is excellent for this procedure.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Older-twin

Thanks for the info guys.  I'll be sure to study up on releaving the pressures off the rods and studs before I tear into it.

mayor

make sure you disconnect the battery too.  If you don't, the rear rocker box may get a spark mark from hitting the battery while removing.  at least, that was my experience.   :embarrassed:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions