April 30, 2024, 04:45:26 AM

News:

1979 ignition

Started by oldskool, February 28, 2012, 12:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

can anyone tell me how to check the ignition? have a new coil and no spark?thinking it's the ignition itself. And if so what a good reasonably priced replacement would be?

Lew

February 28, 2012, 04:15:40 PM #1 Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:22:03 PM by Lew
It most likely is the ignition control module as these were notorious for going tu.  First check for voltage at the coil when the ignition switch and handlebar switch is turned on.  If there is voltage there the wiring and switches are ok making the ignition unit more suspect.  Pull a sparkplug and ground it to the engine or frame so you can watch for spark. Turn the ignition switch on and quickly cycle the handlebar switch on and off while looking for spark at the plug/s.  If you see some spark while doing this the coil is very likely just fine and it's the ignition control module or pickup sensor that's toast.  Replace it with your choice of after market ignition.  They are all very good, even the later stock units.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Hillside Motorcycle

If needing to replace the module, I'd suggest a Dyna 2000i.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

oldskool

Isn't there any way to just check the ignition to see if it is bad?

Lew

With the ignition on hook a voltmeter to the coil negative terminal and ground a reading of one to two volts should be seen.  If there isn't any voltage the module is bad.  If there is one to two volts reading, place a screwdriver against the face of the sensor and the voltage should change to around twelve volts it is ok.  If it doesn't change or still reads one to two volts the ignition module is bad.

wreck74

Handlebar switch, when i bought my 79 there was no spark, one of the wires that goes to the switch had come off where it's soldered to the switch, takes just a minut to check. I soldered it back on and now it has spark.

oldskool

Thanks guy's I appreciate the info ! I'm gonna run through these checks right now! Another question can you tell me what the difference is between single and dual fire ignition and what does this 79 have?

Lew

Your stock ignition fires both plugs at the same time and is referred to as dual fire.  Single fire ignition fires each plug independently.