May 09, 2024, 12:20:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which brand of spark plugs for knock retard to work? 09 96"

Started by Nebraskarider1, April 05, 2012, 06:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraskarider1

April 05, 2012, 06:21:02 PM Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:46:15 AM by Nebraskarider1
If I remember correctly there were some issues with different brands of plugs to use so the knock retard works correctly. Which ones are known to work ok? If I have to HD plugs are fine just wanted to save a trip to the dealer. 09 Ultra stock 96" Thanks in advance

BUBBIE

Harleys, No Nonsense plugs.......... 6R12..... least expensive and do the Job. Think Champions make HD's plug.

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Nebraskarider1

I was just hoping there was another brand that were acceptable I could pickup locally.

crazylore

I stick with the 6R12 plat never any problems...tried others in my 95" and most throw codes...SE plugs threw codes also
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

Breeze

RA8HC(#810) is the Champion cross reference. I bought a pair, but decided to stick with Harley plugs for piece of mind.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

HogMike

Stock plugs work fine, no caps that unscrew.......just sayin'
:smiled:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HD/Wrench

Stock plugs work just fine. What I have seen is that some of the fine tip or coated plugs will give you false readings. I just tuned a 120R with the SE plug and it was giving me false readings right out the gate. Swapped the plugs and it was fine..

hrdtail78

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 06, 2012, 08:49:55 AM
Stock plugs work just fine. What I have seen is that some of the fine tip or coated plugs will give you false readings. I just tuned a 120R with the SE plug and it was giving me false readings right out the gate. Swapped the plugs and it was fine..

was that 32186-10?
Semper Fi

mariner227

I tried NGK's in my 07 ultra. It started showing codes. Switched back to HD plugs and everything was fine. I'm sure that there are other brand spark plugs that will that will work fine.
2010 Ultra, H-Q 107ST, 110 hp, 114 tq, TTS,  FM 2x1x2 Headpipe, slashup Jackpots

qtrracer

The Autolite 4164's worked just fine as far as the ion sensing goes, I just had mine on a dyno about a month ago with these plugs and I asked the tech to check, also had the SE 10mm wires installed. It checked out as working. '08 Touring app.

emece

Using NGK DCPR8E here, no problems so far and the knock retard does work. Some of my buddies also use DCPR7E, DCPR7EIX or DCPR8EIX with similar results.

Keep in mind that their gap is 0.80-0.85 mm, you must open it to 1.0 mm (0.04 in), as is in the HD plugs.

Nebraskarider1

Thanks for the replies, I'll bookmark this for future reference.

wavlovr1

SE plugs always gave me trouble. Stock plugs no problems. Aftermarket plugs with screw off tops always came loose and ran like crap, even when I crimped them... I won't ever run anything but stock HD plugs again.

jb

Coyote

NGK's DCPR7EIX work fine

limitedlou

April 06, 2012, 08:28:54 PM #14 Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:36:34 PM by limitedlou
Quote from: emece on April 06, 2012, 12:03:57 PM
Using NGK DCPR8E here, no problems so far and the knock retard does work. Some of my buddies also use DCPR7E, DCPR7EIX or DCPR8EIX with similar results.

Keep in mind that their gap is 0.80-0.85 mm, you must open it to 1.0 mm (0.04 in), as is in the HD plugs.

I have used the NGK  DCPR8EIX with my 2010 Limited and others with 2009 FLHTCU no problem. I just ordered the NGK  DCPR7EIX for my 2002 FLSTS   88cu.in. Will install tomorrow.. gap is .040

Admiral Akbar

Get it tuned right and you won't need knock returd..

Max

Coyote

Quote from: Max Headflow on April 06, 2012, 08:35:06 PM
Get it tuned right and you won't need knock returd..

Max

Maybe. My bike is tuned right (for 91 octane), But when I travel on long trips I run 87, 85. I can get it to ping on that crap if I get on it hard. Nice to know the bike pulls some timing to stop it.

Admiral Akbar

Wait a minute.. Doesn't that mean the knock retard ain't working..  :scratch:    :teeth:
Max

Coyote

Quote from: Max Headflow on April 06, 2012, 08:47:37 PM
Wait a minute.. Doesn't that mean the knock retard ain't working..  :scratch:    :teeth:
Max

Only for a second...  :wink:

BUBBIE

The "Knock Retard System" HD has used for a log time on its bikes, Probably has saved early-on Deaths for many engines.

A lot riders didn't know it even existed and some still don't. :idea:

One of the good things HD did in my book.

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: BUBBIE on April 07, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
The "Knock Retard System" HD has used for a log time on its bikes, Probably has saved early-on Deaths for many engines.

A lot riders didn't know it even existed and some still don't. :idea:

One of the good things HD did in my book.

signed....BUBBIE

Thats why I just wanted to make sure it was still gonna be functional, I was gonna buy plugs from a local independent who has always done me right and just didn't want to have problems. Thanks

bobrk1

dyno guy told me on my bike only HD plugs and wires not even SE they trip the knock sensor

PoorUB

No help now, but I don't know why guys that do their own service don't stock up on common parts.
Order a set of plugs to have on hand, along with 3-4 oil filters, O-rings for the drain plugs, Formula+, oil, derby gasket and what ever you need. I usually have enough service items on hand to get me through the season unless something unplanned comes up, then anything is just a phone call away and a day or two shipping. I rarely go to the local dealer for parts unless I need something asap.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Breeze

At least once a year one friend or another wants to stop at a Dealer. As long as I'm there I pick up that years oil filters and primary oil.  If the outside of my spark plugs are getting rusty looking, I'll pick up a new set and put the ones I've been carrying in my bags in the bike.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

boooby1744

I just found some Accel 2418's, i had used these in my 95" fxd. Will they work in 2012 RK without a problem?