IAC steps changing while riding

Started by dabreeze54, August 25, 2012, 09:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabreeze54

After a scan data run with Datamaster I noticed my IAC steps are changing from 20 which is my warm idle to 50 or so when throttle is opened and back down to 20 when throttle is steady or closed.  On sample data runs in the Datamaster files the IAC steps stay put while riding. So is this an issue or nothing to worry about?

rbabos

Quote from: dabreeze54 on August 25, 2012, 09:23:08 PM
After a scan data run with Datamaster I noticed my IAC steps are changing from 20 which is my warm idle to 50 or so when throttle is opened and back down to 20 when throttle is steady or closed.  On sample data runs in the Datamaster files the IAC steps stay put while riding. So is this an issue or nothing to worry about?
This is what's known as a follow effect and is normal. It's to prevent a sudden closing of throttle and keep the engine from possibly stalling. Secondary usually unseen effect is better downshifting engine behaviour. Speed sensor input to ECM and follow effect work together in that case. Lose either one of these the engine becomes somewhat miserable to deal with.
Ron

dabreeze54

That is good to know.  I am a newbie with TTS and have a lot to learn and do appreciate this forum and the wealth of knowledge found here! Thanks!  Van