September 20, 2024, 08:03:59 PM

News:

Upgrading Softail Shocks (Rear) Advice, Experience??

Started by V24me, February 20, 2009, 02:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V24me

I didn't get rave reviews of softail Air shocks, so I think I might save some money and go with a good traditional shock.

I have mine lowered 2 inches, and want a shock that performs dampening and cornering well, and won't bottom out with limited travel because of lowering.  Anyone have good luck with a brand/model ???

'02 Softail Deuce
TIA
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

tinkerman

Have a look at the works shocks. Using them on my 88 softail with good results.

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

ThumperDeuce

February 20, 2009, 02:26:27 PM #2 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:08:04 PM by ThumperDeuce
I run Progressive 422's on my Deuce.  I usually ride one up and take the twisties aggressively.  They do not bottom out like the factory ones did.  I am happy with their performance.  Mine are set at the stock height.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Mike52

February 20, 2009, 06:14:49 PM #3 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:22:23 PM by Mike52
Quote from: V24me on February 20, 2009, 02:08:39 PM
I didn't get rave reviews of softail Air shocks, so I think I might save some money and go with a good traditional shock.
I have mine lowered 2 inches, and want a shock that performs dampening and cornering well, and won't bottom out with limited travel because of lowering.  Anyone have good luck with a brand/model ???
'02 Softail Deuce
TIA

Being a Softail rider myself, my opinion is, you're asking a helluva lot from a suspension design with limited travel in stock configuration and now you want to compound that by lowering the set-up by 2". Some goals are unattainable, this looks like one of them, good luck. FWIW, I obviously missed your post regarding the "Air shocks", I do have a lot of experience with the Legends Air Ride system for the Softails, I've had the Legends on my bike since '02, I love it, wouldn't use anything else. For someone with a bad back that required surgery a little over a year ago, the Legends Air Ride greatly increased my riding time and comfort in the saddle. Before my back surgery I've done many 500-600 mile days on my Springer, I would have never been able to do that with any other shock set-up.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net