May 09, 2024, 01:20:51 PM

News:

OT - Firearms

Started by 2003flht, January 27, 2009, 12:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz95dog

imho....get a sig p-220(45) . you won't be sorry . i had one years ago(had to sell) just ordered another. great gun . best shooting out of the box 45 , i've shot . ...bill... :up:
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Dakota

Quote from: guitar sam on January 27, 2009, 10:14:44 PM
dont gomany places without my keltec 3pat
380 weights about 8 oz and nobody but me knows i have it with me.
recommend it for anyone who needs to carry
we will be booted soon

capt. sam

I've got a friend that has a Keltec in  9mm, I believe, and he really likes it and he's a big man with big hands.  I personally carry a 38 special in an ankle holster or jacket pocket, but I'd like to try the Keltec as I think it would be better suited to carry on a motorcycle-a little less bulky and plenty big enough for protection.
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

Deye76

I believe it was Massad Ayoob that volunteered to test early bullet proof vests. He said getting shot with a .44mag was like getting punched in the chest. Getting shot with a .45 was like getting kicked in the chest. You know what they say about slow moving trains. :wink:
I prefer a slug with a large frontal diameter. Doesn't have to move fast to put em into shock.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

2003flht

January 28, 2009, 06:30:22 AM #28 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:37:01 AM by 2003flht
Well,  before we get booted....   I just want to say thanks for all the replies.  I didnt want to argue over what caliber is better than the other, or what will kill better.  I'm dead set on a S&W 10mm.  Its what "I" want...   I have my .45's (and love them) my .357's, .44's, .40's, .38's, 9mm's & .22's.  Pistols and revolvers....   You can never have too many, right!?!?!   LOL!

Really, thanks all for the replies.....   But I really want a S&W 1006, 1066 or any 10XX series 10mm pistol for the collection...   So, if anyone just so happens to come across one at their local toy store, or has one collecting dust somewhere, i would be grateful if you could shoot me an email on the whereabouts of one.....

Thanks all!

NC-  I'm still waiting for email too.......    ;)   Thanks man!
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

lonegoosehonking

All time favorite is the Glock 23. But I own the keltec p32 , p3at  and the p11. You can't beat the keltecs for the money.
p32 and the p3at fit in your pocket and you never know they are there  and 12-13 oz loaded well they are lite.. I have the belt clip on the 32 and the .380. Looks like I have a pocket knife in my pocket.  :duel:

takwolf

ANY gun is better than no gun when you need one! "When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away."
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

HotRock

No need to worry about it at all if HR 45 gets passed it's just one step closer to confiscation.   check here http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45&tab=summary 
Better all join NRA and help fight this one, just the beginning... :duel:

harleydave51

OK, I'm not trying to stir up sh@t here, but,When you're out for a ride, what kind of circumstances would you feel the need to use a gun? I've been riding for over 40 years and have never come across a situation where I needed a gun. There were times I wished I had a gun, but then I'd probably still be in jail. Just asking.
WTF, Run amuk
89 FXRS
MASShole

2003flht

i didnt start this thread to be a topic on what to carry while you're riding...   just looking for a new piece for the collection.  But i can tell you that one time i caught to idiots tring to remove the air cleaner off my buddies bike.  i confronted the idiots and just as sh^t was going to go down, 5 of my bro's stepped out and helped me with the situation...   i didnt have to pull out my piece but i am damn sure glad i had it, just in case my bro's werent there!.....   

it's funny,  when i carry (which is most of the time) i tend to avoid situations of conflict.
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

Ultrashovel

Why all of the argument about calibers? I heard that the Mafia uses .22's mostly. They get the job done. I also understand that besides the AK-47 for assault rifles, the Taliban realy likes the 9mm for handguns. They get the job done, too.

Remember, it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it.

:potstir:

harleydave51

How about liscences? In MA you need to have a very good reason to carry. You used to be able to get one for target practice, but they make that very hard.
WTF, Run amuk
89 FXRS
MASShole

markslappey

Why not get a S&W 500 -a 430 grain bullet will stop anything -I know where a 500 and a 454 are for sale
I am the original Harley Mark that joined in 2000-07 Street Glide and 02 Softail

2003flht

Mass sux for carry licenses!    They are just to damn strict.  I have a Maine & CT permit to carry and Mass screwed with me so bad, even just to pass through the state you have to jump through hoops.   I'd rather drive around them from now on...

CT you take a course, apply for your town permit and then submit your town permit into the state and you got it!    Well, as long as your not a felon or domestic offender....   or have a hard time finding 3 persons to vouch that your not a nut......    (cost me alot of money there!   LOL!)
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

2003flht

Quote from: markslappey on January 28, 2009, 10:39:52 AM
Why not get a S&W 500 -a 430 grain bullet will stop anything -I know where a 500 and a 454 are for sale

i got three wheel guns,  i still like the S&W 10mm....     they are getting scarce (S&W dicontinued them a long time ago) and i'd just like one for the collection...

Although that 500 is a sweet piece!  I got to shoot one last year.  Damn thing kicked less than my 44!
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

Panzer

I carry a Walther PP. either shoulder or hip.
No, not like Bond, he carries a Walther PPK
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

nc-renegade

Quote from: 2003flht on January 28, 2009, 09:45:57 AM
when i carry (which is most of the time) i tend to avoid situations of conflict.

When you get a concelled permit....that is exactly the behavior you have to follow.  I carry everywhere I go, but like you, I tend to avoid the situations that might lead to a conflict.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

L-

.45 200grain SWC at 1000+ fps beats a .40 any day in any short term crisis management situation. Not paper ballistics.  You can take that to the bank. 

L-

76shuvlinoff

January 28, 2009, 11:25:06 AM #42 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:48:25 PM by 76shuvlinoff
 Internet caliber wars can can get hot fast so let's not get into mines bigger than yers if we can help it.

As far as not needing a gun most of the time ... that's true but we all have fire extinguishers and first-aid kits and tool pouches hoping we don't need them either.

I have found a lot of good info... and good folks at     Thehighroad.org

Mark

edit to add, cc 9mm, 40SW, .357mag and 45ACP (no not at the same time)
Expansion is nothing without penetration.
Over penetration is bad.
One good hit with a 22lr is better than 50 misses with a 50cal.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Scooterfish

Poor UB   There have been atleast 2 recalls on the Luger LCP, just saying. I was looking at one and decided on a S&W 38special lightweight. Conceals well. When the chips are down I want something that I can rely on.

Now back to 10mm
Northern Indiana

V24me

Not preaching or teaching, just my experiences.

Personally I don't carry daily - done enough killing - There's nothing I have worth dying or killing for.  That being said, I have loved guns since childhood and through profesional training and use.

If you want a daily carry, get a Bursa .380  (about $200) and learn to hit what you're aiming at.

10mm is great for Hunting (in some states - it's the smallest caliber allowed for big game - deer, havalina, etc)

Slower isn't neccessarily better.  Think of dropping a large bolder from 100 feet high and a 5lb meteor traveling at 30 miles per second - the small stone will do much more damage.  As for exit wounds, a .22 in the head will bounce around and cause sure death, but in a body shot, an exit wound is 2 places to bleed from and the exit hole is about 20 times bigger than entrance.  We think it's worse to leave a slug in becuase of old westerns where surgery to remove a bullet may kill the victim easier than the shot (valid point back then).  

My personal favorite is the .357Sig round. (not to be confused with the .357 or .357 magnum)  Small bullet with bigger shell=very high velocity.  You can shoot a car through the hood or fender and it will penatrate the engine block of a V8 causing nearly immediate engine failure.  Sometimes it's not people we have to shoot.  Also like the Sig Sauer products.

If you buy private party (I like this idea) get a hand written receipt from seller with names and date in case you buy a gun that later can be linked to a previous crime - also protects the seller if it was ever registered to them incase you use it for a crime.
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Bigs

I belong to the NRA and they are always against the gun owners getting licensed. Well I've been licensed for the last 15 years - that is a license to carry. They have your name and address as a gun owner - so what the guns are registered to me. When I worked in D.C. after the riots I carried a hand gun all the time running service. My Dad said he would rather go to my trial than my funeral. By the way, I haven't carried a gun since I got the permit. I just figured it might help if I got stopped going to the range.
   Bigs

blk-betty

S&W 642 Airweight - .38+P is what I use the few times I actually carry ever since I got the carry permit.

Nice and light as well as simple with a shrouded hammer.

Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

HIPPO

Quote from: Ultrashovel on January 28, 2009, 09:50:37 AM
Why all of the argument about calibers? I heard that the Mafia uses .22's mostly. They get the job done. I also understand that besides the AK-47 for assault rifles, the Taliban realy likes the 9mm for handguns. They get the job done, too.

Remember, it's not how big it is, it's what you do with it.

:potstir:

Google the 1986 FBI Miami shootout if you want to see what the problem with the 9 mm is.

These scenarios are completely different, and the reasons for picking specific weapons are different.
In a self defense scenario with a sidearm the primary intent is to stop the attack instantly, ie before the attacker gets a shot off.

northbrun

2003flht

S&W 442 Airweight was one of my first carry pieces.  .38 spcl.     i still have it and carry it often.  S&W J frames are nice
Schulzy
North Central CT - USA