September 20, 2024, 06:23:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

transmission

Started by hemmy, June 09, 2012, 10:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemmy

I have a 1995 flstn that will not go into neutral while motor running,kill the motor and goes right in

Mule

Sounds like a clutch adjustment issue...Bad wafer bearing possible too...

hemmy

I just replaced all the friction plates and steels. discovered the spring plate was in pieces. Its all new in there,shifts fine now but still wants to avoid going into neutral unless i kill it,then it will go in. What and where is that bearing you mentioned?

JBarrettB

Sounds like the shifter pawl is out of adjustment to me.

JB 
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

hemmy

Ok, where is the shifter pawl? It is one of the arms thats connected to the spindle. Im kinda new to the correct terms of thses parts,thx for all the help

smittyon66

It sounds to me like the clutch is dragging for some reason.  Some common causes are improper clutch adjustment, primary chain too tight, wear in the clutch basket not letting the plates separate, too heavy of primary oil.
Forget the bull"Potty mouth" - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Mule

Also if the clutch plates are all new they may need some run in time, then re adjust, take it out and put some miles on it 4-5 hundred then re adjust as per Manual...

smittyon66

Did you lube the clutch plates before you installed them?

Put Hard To Find Neutral in the search box on the upper right of this page. It will give you a lot of ideas of what to look for.
Forget the bull"Potty mouth" - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

hemmy

Yes i did. Almost forgot after i had put 3 in,took them out and coated with oil and all went together well,thanks much for the help