Previous topic - Next topic

Bladesmith

If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

rbabos

Wow. That is impressive.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 10, 2012, 09:22:01 AM

IMO if I was going to drop the coin for something different from a Harley style cruiser.  I would go way different and look at another brand.  Probably the Diavel.  But I am always looking for a reason to buy myself a Duc.
Can't do that. Too much harley crap all over the walls of my shop , plus the wifes ride is a shadow so the stuff needs to serve a purpose.  Her bike is  one of those damn gas and oil only bikes. :hyst: One way or the udder I will stay with the HD brand.
Ron

ViennaHog

Guys in the shop have yet to see an engine or transmission failure of a Vrod. Seems to be a very durable design. Minor issues with leaking coolant hoses, engine vents, rattling heat shields, worn clutches or steering head bearings are common, but that is about it. The 2012 anniversary bike is a good choice. Much better seating position compared to previous years.

Bakon

Quote from: calif phil on June 09, 2012, 01:18:38 PM
I didn't like them when they first came out but the Vrod Muscle has changed my mind.  I would luv to have one.  I say go for it.

Feel the same way.
wasting time

tomcat64

V-Rod,, really it's the best bike HD builds,, but we can't give them away here,, i own a 2003 "A" and we love  it! it is a 1 up bike and you really can't haul much so it's not the best for touring. the typical HD guy wh test rides the bike comes in afterwards and doesn't feel the potential in the bike as he his shifting it like his ultra,,, at about 3k RPM,, the motor needs about 6k to make power,, then ,,,HOLD ON!!!

the 3.2 gallon tank went away in 2007, they all have a 5 gallon tank now,,
valve adjustment... we have never done it,, i know the book says to but we have never seen one that needs it. this spring we had one in with a bown head gasket,, we had to order the engine stand to do the job,, the VR has been out since 2002 and we had never needed the stand before,, it is one hell of a motor and it's rare to work on them. i give the moco credit, ewhen it was introduced it was totaly new technology and there have been very few problem to "shake out"

rbabos

Quote from: tomcat64 on June 11, 2012, 06:37:00 AM
V-Rod,, really it's the best bike HD builds,, but we can't give them away here,, i own a 2003 "A" and we love  it! it is a 1 up bike and you really can't haul much so it's not the best for touring. the typical HD guy wh test rides the bike comes in afterwards and doesn't feel the potential in the bike as he his shifting it like his ultra,,, at about 3k RPM,, the motor needs about 6k to make power,, then ,,,HOLD ON!!!

the 3.2 gallon tank went away in 2007, they all have a 5 gallon tank now,,
valve adjustment... we have never done it,, i know the book says to but we have never seen one that needs it. this spring we had one in with a bown head gasket,, we had to order the engine stand to do the job,, the VR has been out since 2002 and we had never needed the stand before,, it is one hell of a motor and it's rare to work on them. i give the moco credit, ewhen it was introduced it was totaly new technology and there have been very few problem to "shake out"

Yes, I found it both tame and insane depending on the rpm. It seems to still pull at 4k but as the revs come up so does the wow factor. About the only negative thing I found and basically it needs some addapting to is launch from a standstill with the slipper clutch. First launch not enough rpm and while I got it going it was ugly. Lesson learned and the rest were fine once I knew how to do it.
Dealer still has the same bike I looked at last year (sliver anni). Sold the night rods (black) but this one don't want to move. Personally I like the chrome package on the engine and the silver looks way nicer in real life than pics of it.
Still kicking the idea around and got as far as taking pics for my 120 fxstc, but havent posted the add yet. It's a love hate relationship with this bike depending on the day. :hyst:
Ron

mark61

76shuvlinoff

I don't know squat about the V Rod and never rode one.  The comment I used to read was it didn't have the torque to go loading it down with fairings, hard bags, and such.

True or not?  :nix:

- Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

mayor

Quote from: BAKON on June 10, 2012, 03:02:49 PM
Quote from: calif phil on June 09, 2012, 01:18:38 PM
I didn't like them when they first came out but the Vrod Muscle has changed my mind.  I would luv to have one.  I say go for it.

Feel the same way.
me too.   :up:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

chaos901

One of my sons used to have one.  It was real fast but did not turn so good.  The geometry might be better on later models. 

I would like to put that engine in my ultra though.   

His wife did not like riding on the back of the V-Rod so he now has an Ultra I was about to trade in.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

tomcat64

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on June 11, 2012, 10:26:57 AM
I don't know squat about the V Rod and never rode one.  The comment I used to read was it didn't have the torque to go loading it down with fairings, hard bags, and such.

- Mark
the reason you don't see a factory v-rod with the fairing is because the current frame is not capable of passing the stress tests when it's added... i would take a whole new frame, and probably an even bigger gas  tank as more range is needed for touring.

truck

Quote from: tomcat64 on June 11, 2012, 11:10:35 AM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on June 11, 2012, 10:26:57 AM

- Mark
the reason you don't see a factory v-rod with the fairing is because the current frame is not capable of passing the stress tests when it's added... i would take a whole new frame, and probably an even bigger gas  tank as more range is needed for touring.
What gas mileage do they get? Five gallons goes a long way, or does it?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

rbabos

Depends on driving habits but generally from what I've read it's mid 30s. On a good day with tail wind might get close to 40.
On that note, just did a decent run with the 120 HTT and it came in at 44.2 miles per US gal. I guess I can't bitch about that. 275km for 14.62 liters of fuel. I did not beat on it all day, just normal driving 5th gear. Wife gets pissed if I leave her in the dust. :hyst:
Ron

tomcat64

we get between 30-35mpg.. the problem is that you don't usually ride them "nice"...

rbabos

Quote from: tomcat64 on June 11, 2012, 01:51:56 PM
we get between 30-35mpg.. the problem is that you don't usually ride them "nice"...
Well you got a point there.
Ron

FSG

Back in '02 I had a '90 Ultra Classic with a 1+1/2 Chair on it and an '82 Iron Head and was looking for another bike.  I took a Demo VROD for a spin and placed a deposit on a Two Tone Anniversary Model.  The dealer wasn't real concerned if the purchase ultimately went through, they just needed the deposits so as to place the orders with the MOCO.

Travelling OS as much as I did in those days I got to ride a lot of VRODs in Houston and LA as I travelled home (the long way) from Europe.  Yes they hauled ar$e in a straight line but the riding position and cornering left a lot to be desired. 

By the time the dealer called to advise my VROD had arrived I'd changed my mind.  It was no problem to them, it went on the floor and sold two days later, in the meantime I looked at and snapped up an '03 Fatty that someone had decided they no longer wanted.

I wouldn't mind one of the newer VRODs, seating, handling, etc have all improved, but there's a lot of other things on the priority list before another bike, but no harm looking.

rbabos

FSG: Prior to the 2012 ergonomics change I would have stayed clear of them as well. The bike I rode felt good for bars and peg location. I'm quite surprised sales havent jumped from this change alone. Much better for shorter people.  Not sure I could even ride the Muscle which to my knowledge retained the clamshell rider position.
Ron

FLHXHS

I rented one in Phoenix in February. A vrod muscle. It is smooth and I put +500 miles in one day. It doesn't corner like my FLHX w/ 120r.

It looks cool. But there was a little heat from the engine. Water cooled doesn't mean no heat. I'd say less heat. Rode to Cave Creek and out to Jerome and the did ok going slow.

I missed my fairing. It got cold heading over the hills south of Jerome.

The tank was sufficient but of course I wasn't riding easy. I was hauling butt and taking a wind pounding too.

A little more torque would be nice, I think zippers makes a bigger bore kit for it. I didn't know the destroyer crank was different. I guess it is longer stroke?

In summary, it would not be my primary ride. Maybe secondary, probably tertiary. I don't care for the headlight though, or the exhaust. I'd go fat bob headlight, and something like a V&H Pro Pipe (or similar). I'd probably ride with my Shoei Multitec as well

I did like the LED lights on the tail. And would only pay a woman to sit on the back...

I vote yes

Harry
2017 FLHXSE
2009 FLHX - DMC Sidecar - Tuned by Lonewolf

ViennaHog

Quote from: FLHXHS on June 11, 2012, 03:35:55 PM
In summary, it would not be my primary ride. Maybe secondary, probably tertiary. I don't care for the headlight though, or the exhaust. I'd go fat bob headlight, and something like a V&H Pro Pipe (or similar). I'd probably ride with my Shoei Multitec as well

I did like the LED lights on the tail. And would only pay a woman to sit on the back...

I vote yes

Harry

Something like this setup?

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

FLHXHS

Quote from: ViennaHog on June 11, 2012, 11:21:57 PM
Quote from: FLHXHS on June 11, 2012, 03:35:55 PM

I vote yes

Harry

Something like this setup?

Yeah. But my preference would be a Vrod Muscle. (Vivid black) But the dual headlight looks pretty sharp.

I'd swap the bulbs (H4??) for the HID kits I've been buying. I see the GPS mount too. I'm a GPSer. Some hate em. I love em.

Looks like I need more money...
2017 FLHXSE
2009 FLHX - DMC Sidecar - Tuned by Lonewolf

ViennaHog

We have a Vrod with dual Xenon, was difficult to find room for the transformers but it worked out

Dresser

My nephew has had a V-Rod for about 5 or 6 years. I've ridden it a couple of times. It's actually a something I would buy if I wan't to suffer the PIA of having two bikes again.

ScottFree

For me, the issue with the Vrod was that I just don't fit the chassis. I took one for a ride at the KC open house shortly after the bike made its debut, and while the motor was awesome (first time I'd ever gone 100+ mph on a Harley demo ride... and I did it in a continuous second-gear roll-on out of a 20mph school zone), the riding position just didn't work for me. Too much weight on the tailbone, legs kinda cramped, and I felt like the sail on a boat at any speed above 30. Plus, on the short stretch of interstate we did, the (solid disc) front wheel seemed to pick up every bit of turbulence coming from a semi that was a good quarter mile ahead. Sigh.

I reconsidered when the short-lived Street Rod (more "standard" seating position, inverted forks, higher seat, and conventional spoked cast wheels) came out... until I threw a leg over the bike and found that the exhaust system necessitated an incredibly high footpeg position. Even with the higher seat, it was more cramped than my Buell S1. Sigh again.

I keep hoping H-D will put the Vrod motor into some kind of touring chassis, and maybe add an updated version of  the FXRT bodywork. Yeah, I know, they'd probably sell exactly one of 'em. To me.

rbabos

Quote from: ScottFree on June 14, 2012, 11:35:10 AM
For me, the issue with the Vrod was that I just don't fit the chassis. I took one for a ride at the KC open house shortly after the bike made its debut, and while the motor was awesome (first time I'd ever gone 100+ mph on a Harley demo ride... and I did it in a continuous second-gear roll-on out of a 20mph school zone), the riding position just didn't work for me. Too much weight on the tailbone, legs kinda cramped, and I felt like the sail on a boat at any speed above 30. Plus, on the short stretch of interstate we did, the (solid disc) front wheel seemed to pick up every bit of turbulence coming from a semi that was a good quarter mile ahead. Sigh.

I reconsidered when the short-lived Street Rod (more "standard" seating position, inverted forks, higher seat, and conventional spoked cast wheels) came out... until I threw a leg over the bike and found that the exhaust system necessitated an incredibly high footpeg position. Even with the higher seat, it was more cramped than my Buell S1. Sigh again.

I keep hoping H-D will put the Vrod motor into some kind of touring chassis, and maybe add an updated version of  the FXRT bodywork. Yeah, I know, they'd probably sell exactly one of 'em. To me.
2012s are different, other than the Muscle don't fit me at all. Maybe you better not try one of them out or you will be as screwed up as me. :hyst: On the earlier years, I agree with what you said.
Ron