April 28, 2024, 07:28:57 AM

News:

SEPST question

Started by 05FLHTC, June 24, 2012, 06:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longshooter

glens,
         " The sensor may well be monitored at several discrete timing points within an engine running cycle;"
Another of your assumptions?

I know about the table for taking BARO readings at various TPS positions. I merely cited the one example at " key on ".

" There's no reason whatsoever to believe any other sensor in the ECM's arsenal couldn't or wouldn't be treated similarly. Including and especially the 02 sensor as well ".
I am looking for facts, not assumptions.

" Oxygen a byproduct of combustion? "  Absolutely. The following is a list of some of the emissions from an engine:

CO2 - carbon dioxide
H2O - water vapor
CO -carbon monoxide
NO & NO2 - nitrogen oxide & nitrogen dioxide, commonly called NOX

There are also N2 - nitrogen gas and,
Hydrocarbons from unburned fuel, commonly called VOCs, Volatile Organic Compounds

longshooter

STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

wurk_truk

I had thought that you would take Steve's word on this.  But...  Doesn't matter.   Some damn place...  Maybe some PMs from FBRR?  The O2s don't read continuously, so there simply IS a time during the combustion cycle that they read, or don't read from the ECM.
Oh No!

longshooter

wurk and glens,

I guess these are a couple of points we will just have to agree to disagree. In the end, we will continue to do what works for us. I know I will until I am shown a better way.

Thanks for your participation ...... made me put on my thinking cap a couple of times. Not a bad thing to do every so often.

longshooter

P.S. wurk, good luck with your wideband/broadband project. I am following that thread with interest. Should be enlightening to see how the results stack up to the narrowband results if that is something you will be doing.
STUPID PEOPLE WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

glens

July 04, 2012, 12:42:32 PM #28 Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:47:13 PM by glens
This may come across as pissiness and I suppose it is (was), in part.  It's a little difficult to actually post now after the previous post by longshooter late this morning, but I'd started it late last night and wanted to go ahead and just put it out anyway, so please don't think I'm just trying to get the last word or anything.  Any time we can all come to a more complete understanding of what's going on, we'll all benefit.

Quote from: longshooter on July 03, 2012, 10:21:42 PM
glens,
         " The sensor may well be monitored at several discrete timing points within an engine running cycle;"
Another of your assumptions?

Just like my assumption that the MAP sensor has firmware-selectable poll times and suggested (right here in these forums, I assume) that TTS software provide a way to choose between them, prior to the appearance of cam-tune?  What's your point?  You have some history in automotive fuel management diagnosis and repair.  Did this extend to modifying the low-level code or selecting variables used by it running in the ECM?  For not wanting to get into pissing matches you stir stuff up pretty good.

At any rate, Steve Cole's quoted statement regarding the timing of the O2 sensor polling surely isn't based on any assumptions.  Assumptions or no, what would you like to do with the information regarding sensor poll timings?

QuoteI know about the table for taking BARO readings at various TPS positions. I merely cited the one example at " key on ".

" There's no reason whatsoever to believe any other sensor in the ECM's arsenal couldn't or wouldn't be treated similarly. Including and especially the 02 sensor as well ".
I am looking for facts, not assumptions.

Your statement regarding alternate use of the MAP sensor was ambiguous.  It left room for the assumption that you were saying key-on BARO determination was the only alternate polling of that sensor as compared to, say, "continuous" monitoring during "normal" engine operation.

You were given in another post a fact regarding the O2 sensor poll timing, even though there's nothing you can do with the information aside from ensure the O2 sensors are located and mounted equivalently to stock in order to maintain best use of them by the ECM.

So we currently know that both the MAP and O2 sensors have specific poll-timings at discreet points in the pertinent engine cycles.  Both of these sensors are extremely fast-acting and readings taken from them at various times will provide various results.  The air and engine temperature sensors probably are not capable of such low-latency operation but those are not low-latency parameters.  How about the Ion Sense mechanism?  That's got to be very timing-critical in the ECM's code flow, too, I assume.

Quote" Oxygen a byproduct of combustion? "  Absolutely. The following is a list of some of the emissions from an engine:

CO2 - carbon dioxide
H2O - water vapor
CO -carbon monoxide
NO & NO2 - nitrogen oxide & nitrogen dioxide, commonly called NOX

There are also N2 - nitrogen gas and,
Hydrocarbons from unburned fuel, commonly called VOCs, Volatile Organic Compounds

I'll give you that; oxygen is indeed still present in various combinations with other elements as a result of non-optimal combustion, but it's totally immaterial.  I believe all we're concerned about in terms of what the lambda probe can use is the dioxygen (O2), which is not a "byproduct" of combustion unless it's been freed up from more complex molecules by the combustion and not used because there wasn't enough fuel.  But hey, that's just an assumption on my part...

NOx can be NO1, NO2, NO3, etc.   Hence the "x".