April 19, 2024, 03:12:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

interchanging parts

Started by nathan71, June 25, 2012, 08:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathan71

I am trying to find out what years interchange with my 71 ironhead, such as transmittion, front end, swing arm!
I would like to modernize the brake system, making them disc front, and back, I would also like to make the controls modern, left shift, right brake.
if it could be done by changing the transmittion, or do they make a kit?

garyajaz

so you pretty much want the what fits what book.
i have one,
but you ask many questions at once.

if you want a modern bike, they are out there.

nathan71

I am aware of the modern bike out there, I ride one!
I guess what I am trying to say is I want to upgrade the past!
see this was my Brother-in-laws bike, he passed a couple years ago, and I got his 1971 Sportster, he made a chopper out of it, your basic 70's still chopper, not front brake, no turn signals, and I really don't even have a clue how long the front forks are.
This bike sit in his garage for over 20 years with out being started, it still turns over, and is in great shape!
I really don't know what years interchange with the 71's, i was just looking for some kind of information on the years that would interchange!
I have to replace the transmittion, so I was going to try and switch the controls if possable!

ricochet

I have similar thoughts on updating a 73 ironhead basket case.  Bought a 08 39mm sportster front end off e-bay and opened up the ID on some neck cups to fit the 1 inch neck shaft.  These are nice front ends and found reasonably as take offs.  Prices have been going up though.  Be aware that around 08 maybe earlier the front ends went to 1 inch axle from the 3/4 axles before.  Consider this for matching wheels to axle.  Also some front ends are for dual calipers and some single.  Later sportster front ends used both aluminum tripple trees that can be polished nicely.

Paint sets are also reasonably priced as take offs especially if you're into "other than your typical"  colors.  It's amaxing how many people remove the tins as soon as they leave the dealer only to be replaced with expensive custom paint jobs that likely will not stand up as well as HD paint.  So to make late model tins work front fender is a non issue.  Gas tanks requires a little imagination mount wise depending on what year tank you're using.  A little grinding and maybe a touch of welding may be needed.  The paint set I 'm using is from 2004 sportster and I recall rear render being 7.5 wide  In order to mount this on the ironhead frame I mounted the stock ironhead struts outside the frame tabs versus inside.  This gives you plenty on mounting room.  I ended up having to fill about 1/4 inch each side.  You can use spacers but I elected to make these slick black ABS spacer plates that are shaped the same as the struts along where they meet the fender.  Now you can use a little bigger tire depending on other clearances like chain and sprocket and swingarm.  FYI, real late model xl fenders are 8 inch.

I can't tell you much about swingarms except early ironhead are a tad shorter than later ironhead.

Lately been thinking what oil tank, battery mounting, and other misc items to be used.  Probably be forced to use ironhead type since frames differ big times versus late model.  Thinking electrically wire it like a 73 with the exception of using Dyna 2000 electronic ignition or the like.

The engine is going throug some changes too.  Truett and Osborn stroker crank making it 74 inches.  Heads located and rebuilt have dual plugs.  Andrews R5 cams selected per T&O recommendation.  New carb under considertion,  S&S E, Mikuni or CV.

Fun, aint it!

ricochet

nathan71

Thanks for the info, i have been looking at a couple iron 883 front ends, i like the look of them, and u can pit a 21" front rim on them, really not sure about the wing arm either, thats where knowing what years interchange would come in handy, i am sure that with a cutting tourch, and a welder u can make any swingarm fit, just don't want to go that far.

My brother-in-law put a mikuni on this engine back in the 70's when he rebuilt it, after 20 years os sitting it is in great shape, gaskets r still good, and it works like it was new, the slide inside the carb is just as shine as if it were new.

I really need to find out what transmittions will interchange, this bike needs a trans, and if i could use a trans, after the switch the controls to the modern (left shift, right brake) conf. That would make life a little easier!

ricochet

Is that a roundslide Mikuni?  I had a 38 mm one on my knuckle a few years back that came as a Branch Flometrics kit.  It ran great with it and I eventually updated to a late model CV harley take off for it's simplicity and it ran great too.

There are many year transmissions that can be used but I'm not well versed in which ones.  I got the right shift one and am just leaving it that way since to go over to the other side involves more moving parts.  Besides the wife won't want to drive it this way.  I think a search here will get some tranny cross reference info.

I like the late model front ends too.  Clean and businesslike.

ricochet

kik

Quote from: nathan71 on June 25, 2012, 08:05:03 PM
I am trying to find out what years interchange with my 71 ironhead, such as transmittion, front end, swing arm!
I would like to modernize the brake system, making them disc front, and back, I would also like to make the controls modern, left shift, right brake.

I have read quite a bit about conversion for the right side shift on these bikes and the general concensus is that you leave it alone. If you want a left side shift, buy a 1977 or newer. From what I understand is that in order to convert it a crossover tube has to be welded in behind the primary for linkages to go through and the trans has to be partially disassembled to put plates, bushing and linkages inside and after you do all of that they say the shifting isn't very good. The brake pedal will have to be modified to mount to the right side foot peg also. Most of the people that own the older sportsters just say if you get out and ride it the way it is that you'll adjust pretty quickly and if you also have a newer bike that your brain will adjust to ride either one without much effort.

ricochet

Yea,  it's pretty easy to adapt to RSS and pitty the fool who tries to run off with your bike.  I remember picking up my new XLH in feb of 73 and thinking what was wrong with this shifting business.  I had just gotten off a Triumph Trophy.  Took all of a minute to get used to it once underway.  I recall it being about 20 degrees out.

ricochet

nibroc

for your tranny keep it RSS and buy all andrews gears, shafts etc. and have a reputable tranny mechanic assemble it. ya probably gonna have to have it line lapped anyway :chop:

ricochet

Nibroc and ll.  If you don't mind me asking.  The tranny I scored looked real nice low miles and has all Andrews gears in it.  The mechanic that's going to be doing the lower end asked whether it had an aftermarket heavy duty trap door which it doesn't appear to have.  Should this be a concern if using the bike for street and not strip especially if professionally set up?  Really not into drag racing and such.

ricochet

nathan71

thanks kik, nibroc, ricochet for the information, So it looks like I will just leave the controls where they r and give it a shot, I guess a person has to crawl before they walk! LOL
Thanks again to all 3 of you!

saltcaveminer

just an opinion but i think its best to stick with right hand shift.i have an 80 sporty front end(dual disc) on my 70 xlch.stops mucho better.i run the 38mm mikuni round slide on both my ironheads.remember no need to open the throttle to start.use the choke below 68 degrees or when needed.stock trap door is fine.save your money for chrome lol.Salty

eglideic

I bought a 1975 XLH in 1976 and one of the first things I did was to get rid of all the crossover linkages and jack shafts and put it back to right hand shift just as it should be.
And no, I tossed out all that junk I took off.

wreck74

FeMick

Quote from: nathan71 on June 25, 2012, 08:05:03 PM

Here is an MS Excell Web App IronHead parts interchangeability ...

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E2880B68D32BBCA8!695&authkey=!AHFkyB8pQkcOaoQ

nibroc

that don't say much for the tranny as in original post

FeMick

What Fits What
On Harley Davidson Motorcycles
1936 thru 1983
Mike Arman and Kurt Heinrichs
ISBN 0-933078-11-0
www.armanpublishing.com

nucklhead13

Several parts are interchangable. My 1980 1000CC engine sits in a 1971 drag bike frame. That frame uses the 1980 swing arm. I went that way to use shortr than stock shocks. Ones that side bolt on like short shovel head ones. I got a 1946 springer front end. That fits in the 1971 frame. just had to change the seats from roller bearings to ball bearings. the kind used in 1946. The drag bike frame didn't have the fingers used for the rear finder. Those had to get welded on. Some old chopper shop like Southern Cycle in Amarillo can help you make the modifications.

nucklhead13

I got a 1980 1000 CC Iron head engine in a 1971 drag bike frame. I went that way back in 1982 because the stock bike was too tall and the 1971 frame still had side bolt on shocks. I got the 1980 swing arm modified so it would take those kind of shocks. That allowed me to get some short Shovel Head shocks and lower the bike some. I even have a 1946 Scout bike springer front end. Ironheads are like old Chevy pickups. One could get a manual that covers Sportsters from 1957 to 1982 or so. There was a time when I used a magneto ignition on that 1980 engine. Used to save money to get used parts.

nucklhead13

One thing about Iron Heads is that parts are about as interchangeable as old Chevy pick-ups. The old school trick was to buy used parts to stay on the road. I got an old manual that covers Iron-heads from 1957 until 1983. It helped me when I had to replace the stock ignition with first a magneto and then points. It even helps understand the ball bearings used with a 1946 springer front end. One can even hunt on line and find out how the front brakes were set up for them old springers and make the twenty one inch chopper front wheel work just like that.
Oh, a 1980 swing arm will mount on a 1971 frame, but one must customize the swing arm so it works with side bolt on shocks because that is the kind the frame is set up for. Oh and the swing arm will not swing up as far as it did on the 1980 frame. One can use short Shovelhead shocks to keep it from moving up too far.