May 09, 2024, 06:56:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bolt Size for Puller to Remove Engine Sproket

Started by FLSTN, July 09, 2012, 08:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLSTN

Here's a clue, a 13/64 in. drill bit fits with minimum play. Also, the nut holding sprocket on is a 28 mm. 1999 883 XL.

FLSTN

It seems the rotor is screwed to the sprocket in the same holes I need to use for the bolts for my puller. Sprocket and rotor come off together. I've been to the hardware store and bought every bolt and screw that is even close and none fit. I sure thought somebody would have removed their engine sprocket and would be able to help me but it seems I have the only Sportster where this has been necessary I could be back on the road in a day if I could just get this damn sprocket off.. :emoGroan:

andyxlh

and you can't use a conventional claw puller to remove the sprocket once you have the big centre nut off?
I would have thought it can only be a UNF or UNC thread in the holes, which will be a bit larger dia bolt with the threads than the drill you mention.
You can tell by the pitch of the thread UNF/UNC - UNC is the coarse thread, with the steeper pitch on the threads, UNF is the fine threads where they are very close together. If you are not sure which is which have a dig through your parts box and the US bolts (the ones on your bike) will be either of those so you can find a comparison. Once you have the pitch you should be able to go to a hardware store with that info to get the bolt.
Don't look for metric threads, the only ones I know of on your bike are a couple in the Jap front end and the battery bolts
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

FLSTN

July 13, 2012, 07:05:11 AM #3 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:01:38 AM by FLSTN
I called the dealer and they said it's a 1/4-20. I took some pics with my digital camera and enlarged them and I see no threads except way down where the rotor bolts on from the other side. A friend of mine talked to an independent shop owner and he said if sprocket has never been off, H-D techs tap the holes for the 1/4-20 bolts. Trying to find a 3 jaw puller that may work...if not I'll try tapping holes. The chain may get in the way of a jaw puller, but we'll see. :soda: Claw puller worked. Don't understand why book was so wrong!!

andyxlh

If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble