September 20, 2024, 10:35:00 PM

News:

Amsoil vs HD SE synthetic

Started by gbalmer, July 11, 2012, 01:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slypig

Quote from: War Horse on July 12, 2012, 07:17:27 AM
Deye, thanks, but with shipping it still comes to about 20 bucks.

Slypig, aeration of thick oil forms bubbles. Or better put cavitation.
So harrley oil is prone to this?
Slypig
Panama City Fl

War Horse

Slypig, sorry I cant answere that question, I know the older bikes runing 70w were prone to this and more so when cold.

I have not seen this in my bikes (TC) runing the oil I do.
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Bolo Ocho

July 12, 2012, 08:08:53 AM #27 Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:17:53 AM by Bolo Ocho
Quote from: codyshop on July 11, 2012, 09:13:18 PM
Unless things have changed, all HD lubricants are made by Citco which is a Venezuelan (Hugo Chavez) owned conglomerate.   You're basically sending money to that Commie POS.

Doubt it's changed- MoCo goes with lowest bidder for their oil. Venezuelan oil=Heavy crude=inferior base stock:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_crude_oil

Additive package cannot overcome issues arising from inferior base stock, ie, frickin' bubbles in da oil  :cry: http://www.insanehydraulics.com/letstalk/erosion.html

tomcat64

harleywood

HD oils were reformulated this year along with new packaging. I have used SYN3, Mobile1 V-Twin and Amsoil. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. I change at 5k miles and all looked great coming out. Noises were there with each of them. The only thing that really had and effect on the amount of engine noise I have is when I added Lucas Synthetic oil additive-definitely quieter with that. Just my observations with no scientific support-just seat of the pants-or ear... :wink:
05 FLHT
95", SE251, AMS, SE 10.5, .030 Cometic.

wakedl

Quote from: slypig on July 12, 2012, 06:19:06 AM
Well I thought I was done reading oil posts but now bubbles in the oil.  What  does that indicate?

He's talking about when his oil is hot.  If you look at your oil after riding for a while it'll be whats the best word - frothy.  It gets a little bubbly on top.  Easy solution - look at the oil when the bike is cold, before you ride, lol

Bolo Ocho

Quote from: wakedl on July 12, 2012, 10:58:47 AM
Quote from: slypig on July 12, 2012, 06:19:06 AM
Well I thought I was done reading oil posts but now bubbles in the oil.  What  does that indicate?

He's talking about when his oil is hot.  If you look at your oil after riding for a while it'll be whats the best word - frothy.  It gets a little bubbly on top.  Easy solution - look at the oil when the bike is cold, before you ride, lol

I've seen the bubbles on the dipstick when the HD oil is cold too, friend. Maybe it's just my bike, a mechanical issue? But that would mean the VR1 is so good, it can overcome a mech issue causing excessive cavitation in the oil, rather than the HD stuff is made from cheaper/heavier crude base stock that needs to be treated with a bunch of chemicals just to get it out of the oilfield? Ocam's razor and some simple facts about geographically based differences in crude oil base stocks would seem to indicate the latter. But hey, oil, it's like politics and religion- run with whatever makes ya feel good :teeth:. I ain't in to having an argument about any of those subjects, just reporting what I've seen, and what I can glean about the why. 

TA63

I run red line 20-60 as of now and am pleased with it.  I chang it every 5k.  Might go to the 20-50 as I feel oil pressure is almost too high with the 60 weight.  Anyone else think 43-44 psi at cruise is too much?  Only oiling mods are a late model oil pump and an R&R billet cam plate

04 SE Deuce

Tucker-Rocky is one distributor for Red Line oil that most any dealer/vendor buys from.  So your favorite 20% off dealer/vendor can source RL,  your cost for engine oil should be just over $10 a quart,  the SPH is about $3 more now.  I support a local dealer that gives me 20% off.   Rick

sir_will_yum

After years and years on the road and millions of miles I found that if you use anything but Harley Oil your going to eventually break down and the dealership will NOT covered the repair under warentee....Seriously tho 20-50 in the oil bag 10-40 in the primary and Lucas 75-90 in the Gear box As long as it synthetic and made for V-twins it all good. :chop:

N-gin

I just sold some Amsoil to a friend of mine that has been running syn3 in his engine. He said the tick is gone that he always had. Dont know how that is possible but that what he said  :idunno:
Im going to give it a few more rides then ask if the tick is still there.  :soda:
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Ancient

So, every time I read one of those, "Which oil to use?" questions, a question always comes to my mind.

When was the last time anyone or anyone you know had one of these engines fail and the failure could be attributed to the oil (of any type) not doing it's job? I'd wager it won't be many, if any.

My 2 cents: Use the correct viscosity. Either dino, syn, or blend. Change it at reasonable intervals. Go ride and have fun.
Greg

TA63

You will probably never have a complete failure attributed to the oil, but I have no doubt a good synthetic will reduce wear over the life of an engine vs standard oil.  That and the cooler engine oil temps are worth the additional cost of synthetic to me.

ChromeWhore

Well, if your using amsoil, you're are definitely dealing in crap. You're better off scooping some sh&t from a honey bucket "Potty mouth"ter and using it instead.

Speaking of "Potty mouth", amsoil bull "Potty mouth"ted a lot of people to be successful including me but not anymore. This old dog knows better now.

Just total crap oil. And that's the dirty little secret with amsoil.
an idiot if you do, an asshole if you don't... WTF

War Horse

Quote from: ChromeWhore on July 12, 2012, 11:21:02 PM
Well, if your using amsoil, you're are definitely dealing in crap. You're better off scooping some sh&t from a honey bucket "Potty mouth"ter and using it instead.

Speaking of "Potty mouth", amsoil bull "Potty mouth"ted a lot of people to be successful including me but not anymore. This old dog knows better now.

Just total crap oil. And that's the dirty little secret with amsoil.

Dang, dont hold back, tell us how ya really feel  :hyst:

OK , so what do you base this conclusion on ? No smart ass here, just curious.

runamuck

I use mobil 1 syn. get it at autozone for 9.99..do my own required service inspections per manual ...dont go to dealer except for warranty work or a new t-shirt....amsoil too costly..

Deye76

July 13, 2012, 05:06:47 AM #41 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 05:09:05 AM by Deye76
"And that's the dirty little secret with amsoil."

A few years ago, Scamsoil purchased roughly 99% of it's base synthetic stock from Mobil Corporation. And then claim their oil is superior to Mobil 1.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

War Horse

Quote from: Deye76 on July 13, 2012, 05:06:47 AM
"And that's the dirty little secret with amsoil."

A few years ago, Scamsoil purchased roughly 99% of it's base synthetic stock from Mobil Corporation. And then claim their oil is superior to Mobil 1.

OK that would make them assholes but not a bad oil per se, dont get me wrong, I dont use it anymore, just want to know why its a crap oil as ChromeWhore said  :nix:

Deye76

Yea, nothing wrong with the oil, heck never seen a motor fail cause of the brand. It's their marketing and pyramid BS.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

dakota224

I wouldnt put that crap in my lawnmower amsoil/amway   :potstir:

tomcat64

:agree:... and not because it's bad oil,, it's the the HUGE line of crap the reps spew while trying to get us to use it,,,

War Horse

So it looks like amsoil is hanging themselves with multiple ropes, hard sell tactics rarely work on professionals and actually turn ya off to the product, and the pricing has gotten way out of hand (around here 13.95-14.50 a quart).

Only reason I used it for a few years was when I was building trikes, mostly GWs, those guys insisted on amsoil, so we called the distribution guy here and stocked a few cases. I just ran it because we had it in stock and it was a synthetic oil for bikes.

codyshop

Interesting.   We've been an Amsoil retailer for over ten years and have never, ever experiences any of these myths (pyramid scheme, MLM, pressure sales, etc. and other such nonsense).   We call in an order and the product shows up...and that's it.   

tomcat64

i don't think it's the parent company that makes and distributes Amsoil,,, around here it's the local dudes trying to get in our door, some of the things they claim are pretty outrages and often quite funny!

Ed Y

Quote from: codyshop on July 13, 2012, 07:17:38 AM
Interesting.   We've been an Amsoil retailer for over ten years and have never, ever experiences any of these myths (pyramid scheme, MLM, pressure sales, etc. and other such nonsense).   We call in an order and the product shows up...and that's it.

That's been my experience with it too although I'm using Redline now.