September 20, 2024, 08:01:49 PM

News:

FOR CRAIG ARIZONA

Started by panomaniac, July 21, 2012, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panomaniac

Craig did you have to grind off any of your ignition drive gear for your 296A to clear the cam lobe? Also did you relieve or grind the pinion shaft bearing race to miss the lobe?

CraigArizona85248

Panomaniac,

I had to go dig out my notes.  It's been 8 years since this cam was installed and I couldn't remember all the details.  Yes, I did have to cut part of the ignition drive gear so it would clear the front cylinder exhaust lobe on the cam.  See page 4 of the Crane instructions for a drawing showing how the gear was modified.  http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/327e.pdf

I also installed the later needle bearing cam gear in my '49 case.  I've heard some guys recommending not to install the needle bearing, but instead have a bushing cut to the same size as the needle bearing.  The upside here is, no case modification and you can always go back to the stock bushing and cam.  Once the case is modified for the needle bearing, you are stuck using a '58 and later cam.

I did not have to make a modification to the pinion shaft bearing race.

-Craig

panomaniac

Thanks Craig. I placed the cam in my case and the lobe binds against the cast in insert that holds the bearing race. Will have to have it fly cut to miss the lobe. Not much just enough to be get about 20 thou clearance. My 112 Sifton was close but not enough to worry about. Would liked to have used the 112 again but it is out of round at the case side due the crack and the bushing failure. Going to check coilbind on the heads before I run the new Crane. Will have a new bushing and line reamed in the gear cam cover. Taking the ignition drive gear to machine shop to be cut for clearance also.  Thanks again for your reply.