May 04, 2024, 01:04:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

rear cylinder fouling plugs

Started by russrudder, June 15, 2012, 03:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russrudder

June 15, 2012, 03:19:11 PM Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:20:51 PM by russrudder
I have a 1976 XLH that is fouling the rear plug. the front plug looks great. I have checked the timing and set it by ear adjusted the push rods and tried to adjust the adjustable jet in the bendix carb. I'm not sure if the jet in the carb is adjusted right. the plug wires are only a year old with about 4000 miles on them. The bike runs good for about 10 miles or so then it starts to back fire and loses power. pull the plugs and the front looks good white tip no carbon and the back is black with carbon. I recently rebuilt the top end and bored it .040 over and haven't got it to run very good ever since. the compression it 140psi in both cylinders. could it be a weak coil or the carb or what? :emoGroan:
Russell

hdbikedoc

I would shoot time to make sure its bang on. check accelerator  outlet and make sure its shooting to the centre of manifold,if not drop bowl and turn to aim. switch plug wires front to back for a test and I would try and report
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

garyajaz

wet black (oil) or sooty black (gas)?
'since you have but one carb doubt that is it.
maybe oil ring on that cyl or guides/valves.
i had bad oil fouling on rear plug.  everything checked out fine.
turned out front guide wallowed out.  oil went across intake manafold and fouled out other cylinder.
in other words dont rule anything out.
\p.s. that last one was definetly a head scratcher.

tomfiii

If gas fouled it points to a intake leak in front cylinder.

eglideic

One plug is fine, one is bad.
Carb? I doubt it.
I would do a compression check and see what you have.

tomfiii

One thing, try swapping plug wires front to rear,rear to front ,just another thing to check.

Lew

Strictly a guess..might do a re-torque.  Could be expansion after warming up is allowing oil to migrate into the cylinder/combustion chamber.
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Hillside Motorcycle

Is this a points-triggered system?
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

dsvracer

I would think it is a ring or piston to wall clearance problem. It worked fine before the boring and now has a problem with the rear cylinder.  dsv

wavlovr1

R U sure the black plug is not oil from a bad valve stem seal?

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

saltcaveminer

i see 272 people read this and only a few replied.now i can be dead wrong but the problem started after the top end job?seems like as the heat builds in the engine the problem starts(popping etc.)i suggest a compression check of both cylinders when hot and compare.also you really cant time an engine by ear.you need to strobe at a minimum of 2200rpm with a hot engine.hope this helps.Salty 

wreck74

If the front plug is white it's running too lean, check for intake leak.

Boe Cole

If the plug is white, I'd be concerned about it being too lean (intake leak?) - should be tan.

To me the rear plug if its oily/fouled and you just had the jugs bored and os pistons installed, I'd be looking for a piston ring (the middle scraper ring) being installed upside down or an intake valve seal leaking or improperly installed.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.